DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Big Love : "The Happiest Girl" 8/13/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/508982-big-love-happiest-girl-8-13-07-a.html)

Decker 08-13-07 01:02 AM

Big Love : "The Happiest Girl" 8/13/07

http://www.hbo.com/biglove/img/homep...in_ep22_02.jpg

Plot synopsis :
Spoiler:
Rebuffed by Barb, Bill asks Margene to accompany him to a Bar Owner's trade convention. Alby realizes that Juniper Creek has been robbed, and thinks he knows by whom. Nicki tries to orchestrate a celebration at Juniper Creek, but ends up moving it to her house when Alby objects. After running into an old acquaintance at the convention, Bill is forced to summon Barb to bail him out, turning Margene from public wife to pariah. Scolded by Barb for violating his grounding, Ben meets a couple of twins with long-term potential. Rhonda hits a new low in blackmailing Sarah; Lois serves her husband at the gas station; Roman returns to Juniper Creek; Frank aligns himself with Alby in an effort to procure a new wife; Nicki lets the cat out of the bag, to Bill's chagrin. (TVMA) (AC,AL)

It's been a kick-ass season. Three episodes left. Hope someone kicks Ben in his mopey ass tonight. Can't wait.

Iron Chef 08-13-07 08:28 AM

:banana:

Decker 08-13-07 09:19 PM

pre-airing bump.

aktick 08-13-07 09:54 PM

Damn, I love this show...and can't stand it at the same time. :lol: Soooo many characters that just grate on my nerves - Rhonda, Albie, Frank, Barb, Bill, Nikki, Lois, Ben - they're all starting to make Roman look like a saint.

Sarah is just about the only person on this entire show who isn't fucked up in some way.

Can't wait to see what happens to Albie, Rhonda, and Frank. A quick death would be much too nice for any of the three.

3 more eps left? Moving to Sundays this week, so 1 less day to wait! :thumbsup:

reubs82 08-13-07 09:59 PM

I never noticed how short Sarah was...and I would love a show about Lois and Frank. Those two are so F'ed up you have to just wonder what the hell went on during their marriage. I keep waiting to see Nikki get offed, but that'll never happen.

I'm sticking this show out b/c I know there's going to be a payoff of some sort, plus my wife loves it.

So know two eps left? Can't wait to see how it finishes up.

BDB 08-13-07 10:01 PM

2 more only!! -eek-

Man Barb does my nut in. Seriously. And Nikki stealing from the compound was never a good idea, least she could have done was show up to alby's deal.

I hope he gets done for the assisted suicide/homicide of Roman, who I will now miss, he's not as cold as alby.

sb5 08-14-07 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by reubs82
I never noticed how short Sarah was

Funny, that stood out to me in this episode as well. Rhonda looked like a giant next to her in the scene in Heather's room.

Why are they moving this to Sunday with only 2 episodes until the end of the season?

andicus 08-14-07 01:36 AM

I was also surprised at the height difference between Rhonda and Sara.

Roman has to live through this, just so we can witness his vengeance! Things will not be pretty. -popcorn-

The relationship with Barb appears tenuous, at best.

Scenes with Frank and Lois are always good, and tonight was no exception. Though Frank was initially absent, his latest episodes continue to make up for it.

Overall, I thought it was another great episode. This show impresses me at the same level that John From Cincinnati has disappointed me.

Iron Chef 08-14-07 07:35 AM

I loved the smirks on the faces of Bill's poker buddies when he revealed that Margene was one of his wives.

I also just noticed that Margene always comforts herself with food.

Iron Chef 08-14-07 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by reubs82
I never noticed how short Sarah was...and I would love a show about Lois and Frank. Those two are so F'ed up you have to just wonder what the hell went on during their marriage.

I would watch that too.

Red Dog 08-14-07 08:00 AM

Margene was great. :lol:

And just when I thought Nicki couldn't get any dumber....

Patman 08-14-07 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
I also just noticed that Margene always comforts herself with food.

But she is preggers these days, might explain her appetite.

Shipwreck 08-14-07 08:41 AM

This was a great episode. So many things happened that I had been waiting for, like Bill admitting his polygamy. And Barb's reaction. I guess the only thing worse than keeping it a secret is having people know.

Margene sitting at the other table laughing was very funny. The son talking to the giggling twins who hope to marry a richeious man was funny. And then that horrible Rhonda singing The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA in an ironic way was beautiful. Who would ever believe that song would have an application past 1978?

boogieman03 08-14-07 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by aktick
Damn, I love this show...and can't stand it at the same time. :lol: Soooo many characters that just grate on my nerves - Rhonda, Albie, Frank, Barb, Bill, Nikki, Lois, Ben - they're all starting to make Roman look like a saint.

Have to agree with that. It's funny, cause a few weeks ago, it was only Roman that I really hated.
Which is funny cause now...I'm really hoping this happens.

Roman has to live through this, just so we can witness his vengeance! Things will not be pretty.

aktick 08-14-07 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
And then that horrible Rhonda singing The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA in an ironic way was beautiful. Who would ever believe that song would have an application past 1978?

That was weird...generally when I despise somebody as much as I do her in this show, I'd completely discount anything that came out of her mouth, but with her singing and the scenes they were showing, it was great, very soothing. Was that the actual actress singing?

I don't see how Roman survives. I think him hearing Rhonda singing while they start to run whatever drugs into him was the end for him. Albie has that room under guard, so unless his wife decides to stop things, Roman's done.

Can't wait to see what Roman's wife/Nikki's mom (is it Adaline?) does. She's going to be pissed.

Albie went from immature little dunce to big shot pretty quick. :lol:

Last week somebody theorized that at the end of this season, Barb and the kids will leave Bill, and Bill will make a play for the UEB head - sure looks like it's shaping up that way.

Patman 08-14-07 09:29 AM

Can't stand the character of Rhonda. Hope Sara (or Heather) is able to turn the tables on her manipulative ways.

BTW, Tina Majorino (Heather) is reported to be a trained opera singer. Who'd thunkit?

Jericho 08-14-07 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
Funny, that stood out to me in this episode as well. Rhonda looked like a giant next to her in the scene in Heather's room.

Rhonda is pretty tall, and while Sara's below average, she's not that short. It's just the difference that exaggerates things. I think Sara is lie 5'3" or 5'4", which seems slightly below average for a woman.

boredsilly 08-14-07 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by aktick

Yeah no kidding, but it's great.

And I'm another (who is surprised to be saying) that I hope Roman gets better to smack Albie's punk ass down. I wish I could inform his wife that he's gay just to ruin her little henchman like existence. Such a bitch.

Decker 08-15-07 02:20 AM

God, I hate Albie as well. Barring his mother from seeing Roman? That's freakin' cold.
Why was Nikki so gung-ho about throwing a party for Wanda, Joey and wife #2? Am I missing something there?

Really, this show has been on such a roll. There hasn't really been a bad episode all season and they're keeping things rolling along at a brisk pace with some sort of a payoff every week. The folks who wrote for JFC really could have learned something from watching this show.

Coral 08-15-07 07:45 AM

Another good episode.

I love the way the tension has slowly built up this season, as opposed to other shows throwing some drama in the last 2 episodes and ending the season on it.

Roman looks like a goner, or at least out of the picture for a while.

Nikki may have screwed the Hendrickson Family big time.

So is there any truth to Rhonda's comments about Heather? Every word out of Rhonda's mouth seems to be a lie, but Heather did look like she got caught on the truth.

It seems like Wanda is starting to feel uncomfortable about a 2nd wife.

And Margene in that red dress, and then later in that nightie :drool:

Patman 08-15-07 09:34 AM

I wouldn't doubt Heather having a lez-crush on Sarah, which is why Rhonda held so much leverage over Heather, otherwise Heather would have exposed Rhonda as a lying, connniving beyotch, but now could only expose her as a conniving beyotch if she had a backbone.

Doc MacGyver 08-15-07 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Why was Nikki so gung-ho about throwing a party for Wanda, Joey and wife #2? Am I missing something there?

We've seen before that she loves being the hostess, but this was even more about the fact that she felt passed-over and useless. First Bill was going night-after-night with Nikki without banging her, then he skipped a few of their nights altogether. Then he balked at the idea of taking her to Vegas- as if he were humiliated at the thought of her being his "public wife" - instead passing right over to Margene. To top it all off, Barb ended up going too and all of this left Nikki feeling like a useless, out-of-control concubine and she focused all of this pent-up frustration into a party that she thought could make her feel important and wanted.

I think... -smile-

-Doc

Decker 08-15-07 10:52 AM

OK, but I thought maybe there was some angle for her, like getting back in her parent's good graces or undermining Albie or something. Or maybe it was just to get that catalog stuff she ordered...

And they made it seem like a big deal that Nikki told Albie about Weber Gaming, but stuff like that should be public knowledge, right? Why is it nobody found out about this sooner? The Greens sure as hell knew.

FantasticVSDoom 08-15-07 11:41 AM

Man, the best (worst) couple on this show would be Albee and Rhonda... I just wish Heather or Sara would shank the fuck out of her.

joefrog91 08-15-07 02:42 PM

Rhonda wasn't that tall at the beginning of the season, was she? I loved the irony of her singing The Happiest Girl in the Whole U.S.A with such hatred in her eyes. Nikki keeps opening her big mouth and messing up. Margene gets better and better every week. Albie will get busted eventually, but maybe not until next season. Frank wanting Joey's new wife was just wrong. He's a great villain.