Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Flash Gordon---Series Premiere 90 minutes 8/10/07 SciFi

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JM
They were looking for the Imex, not Imax. The "gag" was that it was Flash's father's watch, which was a Timex. For whatever reason, Ming didn't see the T" in the word. Figured that out early on myself. In any case, I agree that this show is bad. I'm a big fan of the Sam Jones movie and came away very, very disappointed by this episode. Hopefully it will get better, but some things that make it bad (e.g. Ming and the acting) aren't likely to change...
Yeah, I picked up on the connection when they finally realized it was the watch, but it really sounded like Imax all along. Just a horribly executed idea all together. He could have been looking for the S.S. device and realized the entire time it was up his ass
Old 08-11-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I purposefully did not read any reviews or comments here or on the SciFiForum until after watching the pilot just now. A mistake. If I had read all the perceptive and accurate comments, it might have lowered my expectations enough so that I might have thought it was simply a bad show.

It's not a "bad show". It's a bad idea gone wrong. Misconceived, badly scripted, poorly acted, photographed with all the skill of of an instamatic novice, and a blight on the TV schedule.

It's full of ideas - all from other shows. (I thought of Stargate, Sliders and even the "beaming" from Star Trek was used.)

What really pisses me off is that this will probably kill off the possibility of better talents trying anything with the property for years to come.
Old 08-11-07, 07:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Wow the acting was terrible.
beyond terrible. this was so laughable i had to see till the end just to see if it got even minutely better. wrong! i can't believe how inept ALL the actors were. the dialogue was like something from UPN. it was beyond bad. the only thing, the only thing i liked was the incredibly bad rendition of Queen's song with the preiview for upcoming episodes. now, i am not talking the singer who did it bc even she was bad, but just to hear the theme was ok.

this was a bad opening and i won't be sticking around for another minute. this was crap tv at its worstest.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-12-07 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Sc-Fi,

Don't try to re-imagine a franchise unless you actually have an imagination.

Made me love the 1980 movie even more.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 08-12-07 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-12-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
What really pisses me off is that this will probably kill off the possibility of better talents trying anything with the property for years to come.
Kind of like how the 70's Buck Rogers series killed that property, and it still appears to be dead.

Old 08-12-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This was just bad. Nobody can act. Ming wasn't mean enough. The daughter wasn't sexy enough. The story wasn't interesting. I starting to think sci fi is trying to put out crap. The last good original show they put out was the dune mini series.
Old 08-12-07, 11:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Dear Sc-Fi,

Don't try to re-imagine a franchise unless you actually have an imagination.

Made me love the 1980 movie even more.
i was really expecting a re-imagining like Battlestar...i don't watch the show, but know it is critically loved and brings sci-fi its best #'s. i was in awe at just how everything was so completely off, with Flash a runner and Ming a blond shorty with no menace whatsoever. this series makes the 80 movie an absolute Oscar contender!!
Old 08-12-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by JM
They were looking for the Imex, not Imax. The "gag" was that it was Flash's father's watch, which was a Timex. For whatever reason, Ming didn't see the T" in the word.
That's retarded.

I saw a few minutes of it this morning, and it looked like a zero-budget, early 1990's straight-to-video movie.
Old 08-12-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[blockquote]I saw a few minutes of it this morning, and it looked like a zero-budget, early 1990's straight-to-video movie.[/blockquote]

That is an insult to Dale Midkiff and Dolph Lundgren.
Old 08-12-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have really enjoyed Flash Gordon in all of the various incarnations throughout the years. I really can find the good in just about every version...

... but this first episode was a steaming turd. Actually, it wasn't even bad enough to be a turd. At least something painfully bad would have had its own charm. This was just lifeless and pointless.

Ouch. I won't be back for episode 2.
Old 08-12-07, 10:03 PM

I am going to try and be an optimist and hope it gets better as the show goes on.
Old 08-12-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveCole
I am going to try and be an optimist and hope it gets better as the show goes on.
Nice. You can be the one to tell the rest of us, if it gets better
Old 08-12-07, 11:52 PM

it will probably get worse, not better.

Jacob
Old 08-13-07, 01:24 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I meant to watch this and completely forgot. Now I'm glad I did so.

Seriously, though -- how the hell do you screw up Flash Gordon? It was a huge success in the Thirties for a reason -- Alex Raymond just came up with one damned cool concept after another. I love how people lincese a property, then "remagine" it into failure. Why even pay for the rights to Flash if you're just going to change it into something worse?
Old 08-13-07, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ On that note: why even call it Flash Gordon to begin with? With Battlestar, the same basic premise is still there and it feels like the original. This feels nothing like Flash Gordon. If they had followed the 80's camp version, at least I could enjoy the cheese!

I'll give it one more episode, but that was one of the worst pilots I've seen in ages.

Maybe it was because it was putting me to sleep, but did Zarkov actually ever introduce himself? I only heard his name once.

No Hawkmen?
Old 08-13-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Criminy that was bad.
Old 08-13-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Wow, I didn't think it was great, but I didn't find it that bad.

I think the low points were the nerdy science guy (bad casting/imaging) and the IMAX being the Timex.

The preview for the upcoming episodes looks good enough. I was thinking SciFi version of Hercules I suppose. Probably more episodic than overarching storyline though. I'll definitely be giving it a chance for a while to see if it improves.

Perhaps the strongest point I felt was the chemistry between a lot of the leading roles. Unfortunately, the scripting was rather on the weak side.
Old 08-13-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The preview for the upcoming episodes looks good enough.
Sure, if you want the adventures of some guys fighting off secret alien invaders on Earth. But I liked it better when it was called The Third Wave. I mean, the next episode looks like it's going to be a sitcom with Flash having to hid the existence of the alien warrior chick from his mom.

Sorry, but that isn't Flash Gordon.
Old 08-13-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the SciFi channel. Any day now I'm sure they'll redo Star Trek as an earthbound show about secret alien conspiracies.
Old 08-13-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict
Old 08-13-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Wow, I didn't think it was great, but I didn't find it that bad.
It wasn't. I found it to be a so-so diversion. It certainly has room to improve, but it's far from horrible. I think people were expecting another Battlestar Galactica, and this plays more like a low-rent Smallville.
Old 08-13-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread reminded me it's time to cancel my cable (well...at least scale back to just local channels). I've been meaning to do it for a little while and was going to last week, but then I recalled that Flash Gordon was on and I wanted to see it.

Sorry I waited.
Old 08-13-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It wasn't. I found it to be a so-so diversion. It certainly has room to improve, but it's far from horrible. I think people were expecting another Battlestar Galactica, and this plays more like a low-rent Smallville.

As someone that likes Smallville, I take great offense to that.

This Flash Gordon played like a horrible sci-fi channel made-for-tv movie.
Old 08-13-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I caught about 30-40 minutes of this before the wife called me to bring a bottle for the baby. I've never been so happy to hear that crying kid before

Seriously, they couldn't promise Ron Moore two full seasons to finish out BSG and low-rent hackwork like this gets picked up?
Old 08-13-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
i caught most of the pilot. Total garbage. Bad script, bad direction, bad production design, bad everything. The pilot for the ABC "Cavemen" was better than this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.