DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Upcoming Elvis TV Specials? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/508167-upcoming-elvis-tv-specials.html)

The Monkees 08-03-07 08:41 PM

Upcoming Elvis TV Specials?

Are there any Elvis Presley TV specials coming up to celebrate the 30th anniversary of his death? Maybe, the E! THS about the Last Days of Elvis? Possibly some other things?

Just curious if anyone knows, it's coming up in 2 weeks.

JP5683 08-06-07 04:18 AM

There is a Myths and Legends special on TV Land, they are showing a lit of Elvis stuff this month...

- Elvis Month
All month long weekdays at 12pm and Fri-Sun at 8pm
Includes TV Land Myths and Legends: Elvis (special)
on Thursday, August 16 at 10 p.m. ET/PT -- 30th Anniversary of Elvis' Death
Based on the popularity of season one of TV Land Myths & Legends, this half-hour special coincides with TV Land's month-long salute to Elvis Presley. Thirty years after his death, TV Land takes an in-depth look at some of the most popularly held mysteries about the "King of Rock and Roll" and dissects them to separate fact from fiction.

TV Land Original:
TV Land’s Myths & Legends (Elvis edition) - Thurs, Aug. 16 at 10pm & 1:10am; Friday, Aug. 17 at 7:30pm; Saturday, Aug. 18 at 9am; Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 2:30pm; Friday, Aug. 24 at 11:30am; Saturday, Aug. 25 at 12:30pm

Movies featuring Elvis:
Aloha From Hawaii - Elvis Presley performs in Honolulu, Hawaii, in this 1973 concert. Elvis made television and entertainment history as this was the first-ever live concert broadcast over satellite, reaching in excess of one billion people worldwide. - Sunday, Aug. 19 at 8pm; Friday, Aug. 24 at 12pm

Easy Come, Easy Go - Tuesday, Aug 14 at 12pm

Fun in Acapulco - Elvis stars a former circus acrobat named Mike who finds himself south of the border after a deadly trapeze accident. Mike is discovered by a 10 year old shoeshine boy (Larry Domasin), who helps him land a job as a lifeguard and lounge singer at a local hotel. Between songs, one of which, “Guadalajara”, is sung by Elvis in Spanish, Mike becomes romantically entangled with both lady bullfighter Dolores Gomez (Elsa Cardenas) and the hotel’s social manager Marguerita (Ursula Andress). Fun and campy, the beach dance scenes are classic Elvis fun. - Tuesday, Aug. 7 at 12pm; Thursday, Aug. 30 at 12pm

Girl Happy - Struggling up and coming musician Rusty Wells (Elvis Presley) would do almost anything, and almost does, to get a gig, including baby sitting the local mob boss’s daughter (Shelley Fabares) during her spring break trip to Ft Lauderdale, Florida. During this uproarious beachside adventure, Elvis dresses in drag, foils a would-be Romeo, and ends up falling for the girl himself. Hilarity ensues as we watch Rusty's adventure to get that gig. - Friday, Aug. 10 at 12pm; Monday, Aug. 27 at 12pm

Live a Little, Love a Little - By far one of most adult roles of Elvis’s film career, Live a Little Love a Little follows Greg Nolan (Presley), a news and fashion photographer, as he falls in love with the beautiful but crazy Bernice (Michele Carey). Bernice’s multiple personalities cause Greg to loose both his apartment and job, which leads to him sharing an apartment, and an on screen bed, with Bernice. The film is highlighted by several rumble scenes; a marked change from Elvis’s more passive roles, and an ‘edge of reality’ dream sequence. - Wednesday, Aug. 15 at 12pm

Love Me Tender - A young Elvis Presley made his historic film debut in this riveting western set during the conclusion of the Civil War. He plays the youngest of four brothers, and the only one too young to go off to fight in the war. When his brothers return home, bringing with them a stolen Union payroll, they find that Presley married his oldest brother’s (Richard Egan) girl, a source of understandable tension. Debra Paget co-stars in this period drama
Friday, Aug 3 at 8pm; Saturday, Aug. 4 at 1pm; Wednesday, Aug. 8 at 12pm; Friday, Aug. 31 at 12pm

Paradise Hawaiian Style - Paradise Hawaiian Style follows Presley as young Rick Richards in his ambitious fight to survive as a helicopter pilot with a failing Hawaiian charter service. With his friend Danny Kohana (James Shigeta) and sassy co-pilot/secretary Judy (Suzanna Leigh) by his side, Rick experiences the day to day struggle of making a living in paradise. - Mon. Aug, 13 at 12pm; Tuesday, Aug. 21 at 12pm

Roustabout - Fate had it in for troubadour Charlie Rogers (Presley), when he crashes his motorcycle into a traveling carnival. As a relationship develops between Charlie and the carnival owner’s daughter, he is faced with the choice between continuing his wandering ways and keeping the girl. An entertaining film studded with music and choreographed numbers, Roustabout has it all. - Thursday, Aug. 9 at 12pm; Wednesday, Aug. 29 at 12pm

Wild in Country - Elvis Presley’s dramatic role as a Glenn, a troubled, alcoholic youth is riveting as Wild in the Country follows his journey through counseling, run-ins with the law and his growing relationship with his teacher and mentor Irene (Hope Lange). Irene helps Glenn discover his passion for writing, creating an outlet for Glenn’s emotional turmoil, and Presley’s music, as he is tempted back to his bad-boy ways by Noreen (Tuesday Weld), a local bad-girl. - Monday, Aug. 6 at 12pm; Tuesday, Aug. 28 at 12pm

Mini-series/Retrospectives:
Elvis and Me, Part 1 - Based on 1986’s phenomenal #1 New York Times Best Seller, made-for-TV movie Elvis And Me, tells the life of Elvis through the eyes of the only woman who could legally call Elvis her husband, Priscilla Presley - Saturday, Aug. 4 at 8pm; Friday, Aug. 10 at 8pm; Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 12pm

Elvis and Me, Part 2 - Based on 1986’s phenomenal #1 New York Times Best Seller, made-for-TV movie Elvis And Me, tells the life of Elvis through the eyes of the only woman who could legally call Elvis her husband, Priscilla Presley - Sunday, Aug. 5 at 8pm; Friday, Aug 17 at 8pm; Thursday, Aug. 23 at 12pm

Elvis by the Presleys - The story of Elvis Presley's extraordinary life is given a new, unique twist with these recollections from his former wife, Priscilla, and daughter Lisa Marie. Originally aired on CBS in 2005, ELVIS BY THE PRESLEYS offers endlessly fascinating anecdotes from the glamorous pair, while also offering viewers the chance to pour over some rarely seen footage and photographs from the Presley Estate. Archival footage of Elvis' home movies provide special interest, as these have never previously been made available for public consumption. Priscilla generously presents her side of the story, offering wonderful insight in what life with The King was like, while Lisa Marie also chips in with a few remembrances of Elvis from her younger days. This is a great chance for Elvis fans to glimpse what life was like within the inner-sanctum of their hero. - Thursday, Aug. 16 at 8pm; Friday, Aug. 24 at 8pm

Elvis: His Best Friend Remembers - A remarkable illustrated interview with longtime Elvis buddy Joe Esposito, who met Presley in the Army and stayed a member of the "Memphis Mafia" for the rest of the King's life (and death--his account of finding Elvis's body is fascinating). Random footage from newsreels and various Presley press conferences is cut into the interview, along with a lot of vintage '60s Polaroids. - Thursday, Aug. 16 at 12pm; Monday, Aug. 20 at 12pm

Concerts/Musical Appearances :

68 Comeback Special - An incredible treasure trove of footage documenting a high point of the King's career and a milestone of televised musical performances. Taped and broadcast in 1968 after Elvis had seemingly abandoned live performing in favor of a movie career, the '68 Comeback Special was a remarkably intimate show, Elvis singing his old songs on a small stage, often alone, surrounded on all sides by a rapt audience. - Sunday, Aug. 12 at 8pm; Friday, Aug. 17 at 12pm

Ed Sullivan's Rock & Roll Classics: Elvis - Share the excitement of Elvis’ earth-shattering introduction to the nation and experience for yourself why Elvis became the legendary King of Rock and Roll. Appearing on the show Sept. 9, 1956, Elvis sent shock waves through a repressed nation with his soulful singing, wild hip gyrations and raw energy, attracting a record-breaking TV audience of more than 60 million people. Presley returned on Oct. 28, 1956, continuing to provoke ecstatic screams with hits such as "Don't Be Cruel," "Love Me Tender" and "Hound Dog." In fact, these exhilarating performances were so explosive that Elvis was filmed above the waist during his final Sullivan show appearance on January 6, 1957. - Thursday, Aug. 17 at 7:30pm

Elvis on Tour - Director Robert Abel presents a marvelous look at Elvis, using concert, rehearsal and backstage footage, as well as clips from the early days of his career (and a wonderful montage of him kissing his co-stars while "Love Me Tender" is performed). While Elvis looks in great shape from the neck down (with the athletic flexibility to do his deep leg lunges), his face shows much dissipation however, and tells another story; the feeling one gets from this film is of a desperately sad man, a hurting soul, putting a brave mask on for the world. There is also not even a flicker of ego...we see only a hard-working guy, with not a shred of arrogance. He wears his flashy clothes with grace, style and humility, and sings his heart out, and it's a beautiful thing to see. - Sunday, Aug. 26 at 8pm

Great Performances Pt 1 - Saturday, Aug. 11 at 8pm

Great Performances Pt 2 - Saturday, Aug. 18 at 8pm

Great Performances Pt 3 - Saturday, Aug. 25 at 8pm

-- Myths and Legends: Elvis
A TV Land Original Special
Thursday, August 16 at 10 p.m. ET/PT
Based on the popularity of season one of TV Land Myths & Legends, this
half-hour special coincides with TV Land's month-long salute to Elvis
Presley. Thirty years after Elvis has "left the building," TV Land
takes an in-depth look at some of the most popularly held mysteries
about the King of Rock 'n' Roll and dissects them to separate fact from
fiction. Are Oprah Winfrey and Elvis really related? Did he really
approach President Nixon in the hopes of becoming a federal drug agent?
These, and many other mysteries will be answered in this special.

The Monkees 08-07-07 07:01 PM

Holy crap! All on TVLand? I'm gonna have to record Elvis & Me and Elvis on Tour...

Thanks a bunch...

Also I see TCM is playing Elvis movies pretty much all day on the 16th

Septemberbaby 08-07-07 07:08 PM

If you can find "Elvis Lives" you should try and watch it.
It's basically his band from yesteryears.... playing today to him singing in various concerts in front of a live audience.
I bought the DVD on Ebay and it's pretty cool. I don't think this would have worked with any other artist.

Shannon Nutt 08-08-07 11:46 AM

Anyone suffering from Elvis withdrawal after this month (30th Anniversary of death) will be glad to know we'll be doing this all over again in 2010 (75th Birthday). :)

The Monkees 08-15-07 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
If you can find "Elvis Lives" you should try and watch it.
It's basically his band from yesteryears.... playing today to him singing in various concerts in front of a live audience.
I bought the DVD on Ebay and it's pretty cool. I don't think this would have worked with any other artist.

Yeah, I've seen that in a lot of different places, they also toured right by my house in 2005 I think. But, I just didn't think it was worth it since it was old footage, with just new music from the band. I don't know, maybe I'll get it from Netflix or something.

Sonny Corinthos 08-15-07 07:04 AM

Yesterday, was the 49th ann. of his Mother's death. Kind of spooky if you think about it.

She died August 14th at the age of 42. Elvis died August 16th at the age of 42. I'm a huge Elvis fan. My wife and I are planning on going to Elvis week 2008. Has anyone ever been to Elvis week? If so, how was it.

If you have a tivo, type in the word Elvis. There is all kinds of things being shown about him this week. My poor tivo is going to be running all week long recording these shows.

Septemberbaby 08-15-07 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Yeah, I've seen that in a lot of different places, they also toured right by my house in 2005 I think. But, I just didn't think it was worth it since it was old footage, with just new music from the band. I don't know, maybe I'll get it from Netflix or something.

It is old footage, but they 'remixed' it and it sounds fabulous! If you're an Elvis fan, I recommend seeing it.

Septemberbaby 08-15-07 11:16 AM

Now, this could be very interesting:

From People.com

Lisa Marie Presley Marks Dad's Death with a Duet

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 15, 2007 08:00 AM EDT

By Sara Hammel

Lisa Marie Presley broke down in tears when she heard her duet performance with her father, rock 'n' roll legend Elvis.

"We had two hours to lay down my vocals," she told Spinner.com on Tuesday about recording the song "In the Ghetto" to honor the 30th anniversary of Elvis's death. "So the next morning, I heard the rough ... and ... I've never cried when I've done anything ... ever ... but I just lost it when I heard it."

The song is the original version of Elvis’s hit from 1969 with Lisa Marie's voice added in. There are also images of her father in the video, the AP reports.

"People have been asking me to do another duet with him forever, but I had to do my own thing before I went back there," Presley, 39, told USA Today. "So I was ready. I just had to figure out what would be right. And suddenly it came to me, all at the eleventh hour."

She did a similar project for the 20th anniversary of her father's death, but "Don't Cry Daddy" was never released commercially.

"In the Ghetto" will be available on iTunes and proceeds from sales will go to the New Orleans branch of Presley Place, a transitional housing facility for homeless families that is in the process of being set up.

"I do think this idea would mean a lot to him," Presley told USA Today. "Singing this particular duet with him was more emotional for me than anything I'd done before. I wanted to focus on something important, and not just do something silly."

She said New Orleans was an obvious choice for her after she saw the aftermath of Katrina. "It was hotter than hell, and the place was like a ghost town," she told the newspaper. "The place is still utterly devastated. I felt like, 'Well, I guess I'm here for a reason.' "

Presley is married to guitarist and music producer Michael Lockwood. Presley has two children from her previous marriage to Danny Keough, Riley, 18, and Benjamin, 14.

In another musical blast from the past, this week the Osmond Brothers, joined by siblings Donny, Marie and Jimmy, taped a 50th anniversary reunion show that PBS will broadcast next year, the AP reports. Its title will be Still.

"I don't think they've been honored or the accolades haven't been what they should be," Marie Osmond, 47, said of brothers Alan, Wayne, Merrill and Jay Osmond, who began as the Osmond Brothers barbershop quartet in 1957.

"We think it could be that in the '70s it was drugs, sex and alcohol, and they were clean cut," Marie further observed. "They were God-fearing, moral men."

Septemberbaby 08-15-07 01:58 PM

MORE Elvis News:

Last year, Oprah visited Graceland and got an never before seen, top secret tour of an area on the premises that is so top secret, she and her crew had to wear blindfolds.. it was a vault type place that stores everything he owned. I wonder if they'll allow Larry to see it.

Larry King Live at 9:00 p.m. ET
on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

CNN Tonight: Live From Graceland with Priscilla Presley

Thirty years after Elvis’ death, Priscilla
Presley takes you inside Graceland!
Larry is live from the mansion where ‘The
King’ died, for a once-in-a-lifetime hour.

Tonight on a very special Larry King Live!

Septemberbaby 09-09-07 11:39 AM

On tomorrows (9/10) Oprah, Lisa Marie is supposed to 'sing' with her late father, Elvis. I remember there some discussion during the 30 yr Anniversary about her doing a remake of "In the Ghetto" w/ him.