Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jekyll (BBC America, premieres 8/4/2007)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-03-07, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good turn-around since this just ended its run on the BBC last weekend. As the title indicates, this is based on the famous "Jekyll and Hyde" story, but it's not an adaptation. It takes place in modern day.

The series is written by Stephen Moffat (Coupling, Doctor Who) and the cast includes:
  • James Nesbitt(Bloody Sunday)
  • Michelle Ryan(The Bionic Woman)
  • Denis Lawson (The original Star Wars trilogy -- Wedge!)
  • Gina Bellman (Coupling)
  • Mark Gatiss (The League of Gentlemen)

It's well acted and told in a non-linear style. Because it's a six-episode run all questions are answered and all plot lines are resolved (sorry Lost fans!)

I've seen the whole thing, and I recommend you check it out.
Old 08-03-07, 02:42 PM

I watched it on Comcast On Demand and thought it was interesting and funny in places. I'll keep watching it if they keep putting episodes On Demand.
Old 08-03-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew this was coming up and coincidentally was trying to tivo it this morning and found that it was scheduled to premiere this weekend.
Old 08-03-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm five episodes in, and really love it. I heard the ratings were mediocre: any chance it'll be back for a second series? And would Michele Ryan still be in it, since she's now on US TV as the Bionic Woman?
Old 08-03-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey guys, watched this whole series. After a first episode which left me satisfied but not totally impressed, man did this pick up on episode 2.

I'll pick up the DVD as well, but will wait some weeks as I've just seen the series. But very good work indeed.

I'm a bit dismayed however, I thought I heard that BBC had decided on a 2nd season of Jekyll, however, I read on Syfyportal.com that James Nesbitt will take over as the Doctor for season 5 of Doctor Who. I guess Tennant is going to leave after season 4. I can see Nesbitt as the doctor easily, but I'll miss Tennant.

Anyway, I was satisifed with Jekyll as a 6 part mini. I wish there were more 6 part minis out there.....
Old 08-03-07, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by FaustBos
I read on Syfyportal.com that James Nesbitt will take over as the Doctor for season 5 of Doctor Who.
Steven Moffat has dismissed that rumor as false.
Old 08-03-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah good to hear!
Old 08-05-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I caught the BBC America premiere of this last night and found it thoroughly engaging. I do like the fact that it doesn't start with the origin of how his problem begins, but picks up at a point where he's worked out a system of co-existing with his alter-ego. I also appreciate that, although refered to as evil, Hyde is more pure id. Plus the fact that, rather than becoming a physical moster such as in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the physical changes to the character are more subtle. All in all, a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Old 08-06-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was interesting. So are they going the Incredible Hulk route with him looking for a cure each week?
Old 08-06-07, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Super X
Plus the fact that, rather than becoming a physical moster such as in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the physical changes to the character are more subtle.
I was very glad they went the "Spencer Tracy" route instead of the "Frederic March" route. I haven't seen James Nesbitt in a lot of things, but he's absolutely great in this.
Old 08-06-07, 03:37 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I especially like that it's his acting that defines each character, rather than make-up or SFX.
Old 08-06-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very entertaining and high marks on all production aspects - I'm in for the series.
Old 08-06-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished the finale over the weekend. Woah, I certainly hope there's a second season.

And although the rumor is already false, I'd be all for a Moffat/Nesbitt Who!
Old 08-08-07, 06:16 PM

Just finished watching the series, I enjoyed it for the most part but had very high expectations due to Moffat's work on Dr. Who and it just fell a little short of them. Nice little surprise at the end though, I would love to see a second season to explore that.
Old 08-09-07, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
I was very glad they went the "Spencer Tracy" route instead of the "Frederic March" route. I haven't seen James Nesbitt in a lot of things, but he's absolutely great in this.
If you haven't caught Nesbitt's turn in "Murphy's Law", check it out.

Really loved the BBC America debut of Jekyll...looking forward to more & glad to hear good comments from those who have seen the entire season.
Old 08-13-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody else read Entertainment Weekly?

There was a short article on Paul Greengrass and I swear the picture they used for him was James Nesbitt. After googling for a pic of Greengrass, they aren't that close.

Anybody else think they goofed?
Old 08-13-07, 10:04 AM

Nesbitt starred in Bloody Sunday for Greengrass, so I'm guessing that's where the confusion arose.
Old 01-02-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came across this on Netflix (and I am watching via the Tivo).

I'm halfway through it so far - it's pretty damn good. I've been a fan of Nesbitt's theatrical work for years, so I was interested to see him do something a bit different on the small screen. He's top notch.
Old 07-07-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Jekyll (BBC America, premieres 8/4/2007)

Wow, reviving this thread. I'm halfway through the Jekyll mini series on Netflix and am absolutely blown away by it. Noticed that a line from the second ep of Jekyll was recycled in Moffat/Gaiman's "The Doctor's Wife". In Jekyll, Hyde says something to the effect of "killing is like sex, except there's a winner." In "The Doctor's Wife", Sexy says "biting is like kissing, except there's a winner."

Anyway, excellent acting on Nesbitt's part.