DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Smallville Season 7 news (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/508026-smallville-season-7-news.html)

devilshalo 08-02-07 01:50 PM

Smallville Season 7 news

SPOILERS re: Guest stars

Dean Cain heads to 'Smallville'
Former 'Superman' to guest star on CW show
By JOSEF ADALIAN

Dean Cain is flying over to "Smallville."
Thesp, who played the Man of Steel in ABC's "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman," has booked a guest shot on the CW's update of the Superman franchise.
Spoiler:
He'll play Dr. Curtis Knox, a villainous killer.

Cain's appearance is scheduled to air as the fourth episode of the show's seventh season, which kicks off Sept. 27.

This isn't the first time an ex-Superman has appeared on "Smallville." The late Christopher Reeve guested on the show during its second and third seasons, playing Dr. Virgil Swan.

devilshalo 08-02-07 01:57 PM

And of course.. older recent news:

Spoiler:
Supergirl Lands in Smallville
WEDNESDAY JULY 11, 2007 06:00 PM EDT
By Cynthia Wang

Supergirl is coming to the CW's Smallville. Canadian actress Laura Vandervoort just got the call Wednesday that she has been cast and will start shooting with Tom Welling, Michael Rosenbaum and Aaron Ashmore next week in Vancouver.

"She's a combination of beauty, intelligence, a certain warmth, and great attitude," Smallville co-creator Al Gough tells PEOPLE. "We've wanted a character to shake things up. She may be Clark Kent's cousin, but that doesn't mean she's going to be the obedient one!"

Since mid-May, when DC Comics approved of introducing Supergirl to the Smallville series, creators Gough and Miles Millar have seen hundreds of actresses for the part but found perfection in Vandervoort, 22, of Toronto, who may be known to fans of the cable series Instant Star as Sadie Harrison. "She was speechless but she was very excited," Gough says of Vandervoort's reaction to the news.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9...pergirlqe2.jpg

Supergirl will be introduced to viewers as Kara, Clark's cousin, who was born on Krypton and has all of Clark's powers plus the ability to fly. Watch for her to spark romance with Jimmy Olsen (Ashmore) as well.

movieguru 08-02-07 02:58 PM

Will supergirl be a regular or just a guest spot. It would be ok to have her as a guest or recurring character, but as a regular it would be too much.

chase3001 08-02-07 03:00 PM

This looks like a ploy for a spinoff series once Smallville ends next season.

Arthur Dent 08-02-07 10:19 PM

This looks like a ploy for a spinoff series once Smallville ends next season.
That's been discussed on kryptonsite.com.

Although, there may be TWO more seasons of Smallville...

mrpayroll 08-03-07 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru
Will supergirl be a regular or just a guest spot. It would be ok to have her as a guest or recurring character, but as a regular it would be too much.

Well, so much for that spoiler! :thumbsup: :lol:

Chris

Rogue588 08-03-07 01:00 AM

Wow. That's who is playing her? How bland.

But, hey! She'll fit in with the show perfectly..

devilshalo 08-06-07 11:35 AM

Helen Slater
By STACY DODD

Former "Supergirl" star Helen Slater has signed on to appear on the CW's reworking of the Superman saga.
Spoiler:
Slater will play the aunt of "Smallville's" recently cast Supergirl (Laura Vandervoort).

Slater will appear in the sixth episode of the upcoming season, two weeks after ex-Superman Dean Cain ("Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman") is scheduled to appear.

Slater has recently done guest gigs on "Crossing Jordan," "Grey's Anatomy" and "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

riley_dude 08-06-07 11:56 AM

How can she be her Aunt?
So what other Stunt Casting can they do?
Faye Dunaway?
Marc McClure?
Don't think they will get Teri Hatcher.

Legolas 08-06-07 01:08 PM

Stunt casting? How about Ben Affleck playing George Reeves playing a character? :)

Michael Corvin 08-06-07 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
How can she be her Aunt?

:hscratch:

How can Martha and Jonathan be Clark's parents?

The Valeyard 08-06-07 02:27 PM

From Variety:

SMALLVILLE

Variety has confirmed it -- actress Helen Slater, known for playing Supergirl in the ill-fated cinematic film of the same name, will be playing the role of Clark Kent's Kryptonian birth mother in this season of the hit CW series.

devilshalo 08-06-07 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
From Variety:

They did a correction to their earlier story? :hscratch:

critterdvd 08-06-07 02:54 PM

I want to like this show, but for some reason I can never get into it... ever since I gave up in Season 3, I havn't been able to watch more than a couple episodes w/o loosing interesting once again :(.

SuperBatMan 08-06-07 03:00 PM

This season sounds like it's almost going to have too much. Supergirl, Clark's mother, Bizarro, JLA, Green Arrow, Manhunter, etc.

Michael Corvin 08-06-07 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
This season sounds like it's almost going to have too much. Supergirl, Clark's mother, Bizarro, JLA, Green Arrow, Manhunter, etc.

Sounds good to me. Less chance of filler.

Michael Corvin 08-06-07 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I want to like this show, but for some reason I can never get into it... ever since I gave up in Season 3, I havn't been able to watch more than a couple episodes w/o loosing interesting once again :(.

Skip season 4. Season 5 got the show back on track and season 6 was even better.

GuessWho 08-06-07 03:25 PM

Zod + Supergirl = Clark Kent

rfduncan 08-06-07 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026
Although, there may be TWO more seasons of Smallville...

OR one complete season sans all the filler episodes. I like this show well enough (I will finally be caught up via DVDs and repeats of S6 by the time the show starts in the fall), but I really want Clark to bust out and become Superman. I realize that defies the "no flights, no tights" rule, but that would be how I'd want it to wrap up. They've pretty much done everything there is to do with this show - they just need one deep-reaching, season-long story arc that kicks ass.

dx23 08-07-07 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
SPOILERS re: Guest stars

Dean Cain heads to 'Smallville'
Former 'Superman' to guest star on CW show
By JOSEF ADALIAN

Dean Cain is flying over to "Smallville."
Thesp, who played the Man of Steel in ABC's "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman," has booked a guest shot on the CW's update of the Superman franchise.
Spoiler:
He'll play Dr. Curtis Knox, a villainous killer.

Cain's appearance is scheduled to air as the fourth episode of the show's seventh season, which kicks off Sept. 27.

This isn't the first time an ex-Superman has appeared on "Smallville." The late Christopher Reeve guested on the show during its second and third seasons, playing Dr. Virgil Swan.

They should have made him portray an alternate universe, wimpy Superman. Or maybe Bizarro.

dx23 08-07-07 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
And of course.. older recent news:

Spoiler:
Supergirl Lands in Smallville
WEDNESDAY JULY 11, 2007 06:00 PM EDT
By Cynthia Wang

Supergirl is coming to the CW's Smallville. Canadian actress Laura Vandervoort just got the call Wednesday that she has been cast and will start shooting with Tom Welling, Michael Rosenbaum and Aaron Ashmore next week in Vancouver.

"She's a combination of beauty, intelligence, a certain warmth, and great attitude," Smallville co-creator Al Gough tells PEOPLE. "We've wanted a character to shake things up. She may be Clark Kent's cousin, but that doesn't mean she's going to be the obedient one!"

Since mid-May, when DC Comics approved of introducing Supergirl to the Smallville series, creators Gough and Miles Millar have seen hundreds of actresses for the part but found perfection in Vandervoort, 22, of Toronto, who may be known to fans of the cable series Instant Star as Sadie Harrison. "She was speechless but she was very excited," Gough says of Vandervoort's reaction to the news.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9...pergirlqe2.jpg

Supergirl will be introduced to viewers as Kara, Clark's cousin, who was born on Krypton and has all of Clark's powers plus the ability to fly. Watch for her to spark romance with Jimmy Olsen (Ashmore) as well.

Spoiler is hot!!!!!!

Michael Corvin 08-07-07 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I really want Clark to bust out and become Superman. I realize that defies the "no flights, no tights" rule, but that would be how I'd want it to wrap up.

I finally got around to watching the Comicon Smallville panel and they fielded some Q&A, one of which addresses part of your post. A few highlights:

Spoiler:
- No Bruce Wayne... ever (once the Batman franchise was rebooted, he became off limits)

- No Wonder Woman, thus far. They are still trying

- Supergirl will enter in episode 4 and be on throughout the season

- Green Arrow will be back in episode 6

- Lois gets a job at the Daily Planet

- Clark may fly this season. Kara/Supergirl will be showing him the ropes since she knows how to fly. So there will be some experimentation. No mention of the tights though.

Desidarius 09-15-07 03:49 AM

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since the premiere is now less than 2 weeks away. This is virtually the only show I've followed (thats still airing new seasons) for two years or so. For me, the best TV shows ever to air are long done (The X-Files and Seinfeld) Smallville's not perfect but come on, it's superman and all the girls in it are complete hotties. And damn, the actress playing Kara is the hottest one yet. What I don't understand is when the creators promised "no flights, no tights" they broke it in the episode where Clark stops that missile that that kid launched at Smallville. So he has already flown before. I understand them not wanting to show him in the suit ever, but why can't they let him embrace his most famous power? Also, the introduction of Kara "Supergirl" is interesting, since they wouldn't kill her off like they did Raya. Which makes me curious as to whether they will keep her until the show ends, or she'll leave Smallville and Clark behind for her own reasons.

Giantrobo 09-15-07 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
This season sounds like it's almost going to have too much. Supergirl, Clark's mother, Bizarro, JLA, Green Arrow, <b>Manhunter</b>, etc.

Wait! Which Manhunter?

I can't for the life of me get into this show but the guest heroes have peaked my interests.

resinrats 09-15-07 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Desidarius
What I don't understand is when the creators promised "no flights, no tights" they broke it in the episode where Clark stops that missile that that kid launched at Smallville.

I thought he jumped up to it since it was still close enough to the ground.