Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

so who's watching MAD MEN Thurs. Nites on AMC?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-02-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I caught this show over the weekend (repeats - new episodes air Thursday nights), then On Demand to catch up. Not a bad show - takes place in 1960, everybody is smoking like chimneys in the work place (even the doctor when examining his female patients private parts), all the men are lechers, all the women are sluts - the show gives a good perspective on how life was in 1960. "Mad Men" is a term coined by ad men to describe themselves.

Well acted and, so far, pretty good writing.
Old 08-03-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the second episode (the only one I've seen). Good acting, nice show, but who produces it, Marlboro?

I'll never watch it again - way too much smoking - so much that it completely distracts me. As an ex-smoker (over a year now since I've smoked anything) I don't want to see everybody smoking all the time and having a good time.
Old 08-04-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't this show set in a time when everybody on the planet did smoke?
Old 08-04-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
How dare you use logic!!
Old 08-05-07, 03:28 PM

It's been a toss-up of what to watch on Thursdays - Burn Notice or Mad Men. Since Burn Notice came first, I watch that and tape Mad Men. I'm actually glad I tape the first run of Mad Men, since that means I get to see all the mini-ads the show runs about the ads about to run, which is a neat touch.

After watching the first episode, I wanted a cigarette and a shot of Canadian Club - and I'm not a smoker, nor do I drink whiskey. It's also neat to see the ads of the times, like last night's focus on the Volkswagen Beetle ads. And it's about time that a marketing guy became the hero in a TV show.

Why, yes, I work for a marketing department as a graphic designer, why do you ask?

Oh, and Christian Hendricks fills out a tight sweater rather nicely. I don't remember her being that shapely on Firefly.
Old 08-05-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattrk
Oh, and Christian Hendricks fills out a tight sweater rather nicely. I don't remember her being that shapely on Firefly.
You weren't looking closely enough.

At Christina.
Old 08-05-07, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by kenny79
You weren't looking closely enough.

At Christina.
I blame a lack of sleep. I remember as rather waiflike as Saffron, or at least it was the shapeless stuff she was wearing. Now I gotta go back and watch her two eps again. Oh, the horror!
Old 08-05-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is definitely not the show to watch if you're trying to quit smoking.

It's just a ho-hum show, but I did like some of that chemistry going on between Don and Ms. Merkel.
Old 08-06-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
yep and guzzed martini's and oold fashioned's..
i think this is really a good and unique show..wonder why there hasnt been many threads on it..not enough laser guns and spaceships i guess
Old 08-06-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's really true to the period. Excessive smoking, kids slapped routinely for horseplay, parties where women congrete with women and men with men, this is the early sixties the way I remember it. I like the way it revisits old advertising campaigns (like VW). One interesting thing to me is the depiction of market research (as I am a market researcher by profession). So far they have had two market researchers on the show; one German woman and one British man, both of whom are so out of touch with consumers that they are useless to the agency.
Old 08-09-07, 12:46 PM

Now that a few more episodes have aired, how do people feel about the show? Has it held up to the quality of the pilot (which I thought was pretty interesting)?

I don't have cable anymore and I'm hesitant to buy a season pass on iTunes unless I hear some more good things about the show.
Old 08-09-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, but for no particular reason. As so far, they haven't really left any cliff-hangers (and maybe they never will, who knows). I thought the last episode was kind of odd - Don was miserable through the whole show. He snapped at Pete, he ditched his family during the party -- I know he wanted to have sex with that woman and was denied, but it seemed that wasn't the reason why he was so morose for the entire show.

I guess I'm looking forward to seeing Don's attitude tonight. Funny thing: I feel the actor playing Pete is going to be the show's stand-out star, despite Don's rugged good looks (no man love here).
Old 08-09-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still can't believe the guy playing Pete used to play Connor on "Angel".

I think Don ends up buying his dream car (VW Bug) in tonight's episode.
Old 08-09-07, 04:25 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Heat
I watched the second episode (the only one I've seen). Good acting, nice show, but who produces it, Marlboro?

I'll never watch it again - way too much smoking - so much that it completely distracts me. As an ex-smoker (over a year now since I've smoked anything) I don't want to see everybody smoking all the time and having a good time.
When did Marlboro start making herbal cigarettes?
Old 08-11-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After having watched the 4th episode (New Amsterdam), I'm hooked. They've toned down on the cigarettes (sort of) - its refreshing to see that one of the main characters, Pete Campbell, doesn't smoke. They really got into gear in this episode - they delved into the character of Pete, both personal and business, and he's a fascinating and sympathetic character (he has a shit for a father, which accounts for Pete's cutthroat antics).

I'm there for the long haul - even though I get too sleepy at 10 on Thurs, I am happy to know that it is available to watch on Saturday afternoon (or anytime) on Demand. I hope this show now gets the attention it deserves, and stays around for years.
Old 08-11-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is a great show. last thursday's episode (new amsterdam) was the best one so far. Don and Pete are very different, yet equaly compelling characters.

Production/Sets/Costumes are fantastic. Acting and Writing is up there with some of the best.

Two thumbs way up.
Old 08-11-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm definitely hooked on this. It's not the greaest show I've ever seen, but the characters are interesting, the acting is solid, and the whole production is like a time warp, capturing not only the look of 1960, but the attitudes and outlook of America at that time.
Old 08-12-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
...They've toned down on the cigarettes (sort of) - its refreshing to see that one of the main characters, Pete Campbell, doesn't smoke....
NPR's Fresh Air had Matt Weiner on (writer / producer of Mad Men), very interesting talk. I didn't realize that he was so heavily involved with The Sopranos. With regard to the smoking on Mad Men, any actor who has never smoked in their lives are forbidden from smoking on the show - that's why Pete Cambell wouldn't be smoking. A person who doesn't smoke just isn't going to hold / smoke the cigarette right. And yes, they are herbal cigarettes to comply with OSHA regulations.

You can listen to the story here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=12626662
Old 09-03-07, 05:00 PM

I caught a few episodes of this yesterday, it's pretty good, but probably too intelligent to survive. It is a little slow, sometimes it feels a little more like a character study than a drama.

It is really interesting that they don't shy away from things that are taboo today, including smoking, racism, and

Spoiler:
a party scene where a pregnant woman drinks and smokes! That is literally one of the most jarring scenes I've seen on tv in years. Also, the guy who brings a gun to the office! And then starts pointing it at people!

but they also don't try to make those things into a 'teaching moment', they are what they are.

I would agree that they overdo the smoking a little bit, it is literally in every scene.

But it's definitely interesting, imo. As someone mentioned previously, it's on Comcast On Demand, so it's easy to catch up

And Christina Hendricks....

Last edited by misterchimpy; 09-03-07 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 08:23 PM

I received a flyer from Time Warner with one page advertising this show as being on demand. I was wanting to check it out so I went to the channel and they had episodes 2,4 and 5. They now have every one but the first ep. I'll watch it if they ever figure out what they are doing. I don't know if it's AMC's fault or Time Warners. I know Showtime has their shows on demand promptly the next morning while I've had to wait up to 3-4 days for HBO to get theirs up over the past couple of months.
Old 09-06-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So it seems like most people are tending to recommend it? I've heard pretty good things, and I was thinking about having a marathon to clear out my PVR before the fall season starts, but I wanted to check to see what the feedback was like. I've also got Damages and Saving Grace that I need to get through.
Old 09-06-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the best new show I have seen in a LONG time.

Love it, love it, love it.
Old 09-06-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the casting of Robert Morse, who became a star in the 60's business satire/musical HOW TO SUCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING as one of the principles of the agency. Nice throwback ot the period.
Old 09-06-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by huh?
Production/Sets/Costumes are fantastic. Acting and Writing is up there with some of the best.

Two thumbs way up.
I agree. The way they recreated the era is astounding, and it's the best new show out there right now.
Old 09-14-07, 07:59 PM

This week's was great --as usual.

Spoiler:
Don finally seems to be taking an interest in his wife in more than just a "proprietarial" way. I'm glad they are showing Don's principled side. He's a man of parts, that's for sure.

Whoa! the fight! That was a surprise!

And GO PEGGY! ---->totally took up for herself. She's going to have to watch her back now, for damn sure.

The scenes from next week are shocking!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.