Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 8" (8/1-8/2/07)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-01-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guests:
Spoiler:
Third judge is Adam Shankman.

OneRepublic performs on Thurs.

New rumored pairs and dances:
Spoiler:

Sara-Danny: Argentine Tango/Hip-Hop
Lauren-Dominic: Krump/Rumba
Lacey-Neil: Latin Jazz/Contemporary
Sabra-Pasha: Broadway/Quickstep

I like the new pairs and most of the dances. From what I've read, the Contemporary is by Mia Michaels and it seems like it could be a bit over the top. We'll see.

I don't think Wade got to do anything this week.
Old 08-01-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the rumored judge tonight is true, it should be great to have him/her back!

After two weeks of watching this taped or at a friend's house, I'm looking forward to watching the HD feed tonight!
Old 08-01-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Girls
1. Sabra
2. Lacey
3. Sara
4. Lauren

I think at this point Sabra is my favorite and hopefully wins the whole thing. Seems like a great person and a wonderful dancer. None of the others had 2 solid performances, just a single one.

Guys
1. Danny
2. Neil
2. Pasha
4. Dominic

Danny is slowly winning over the audience I think, but it might be too late. I think Neil and Pasha are running neck and neck for second best. Neil is the better individual dancer and Pasha is the better partner. Dominic was better then last week, but is outclassed at this point.

The Mia dance did not do as much for me as the judges, but it was good. Loved the last dance.

Last edited by Big Dave; 08-01-07 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Danny is finally starting to win me over but the season is almost over at this point and I'm not sure he can beat Sabra.

This could be Lauren's last week and she covered her stomach up?
Old 08-01-07, 09:48 PM
Banned

Why were people crying during the Mia Michael's dance? I didn't get it and really didn't even think it was that good. Ok, a couple of people dancing around flowers. La-d-fricken-da.
Old 08-01-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Danny is ridiculous. He is simply amazing in his transitions and turns and his fluidity of movement. I bet choreographers cant wait to get their hands on him. Whether or not he can or should win this whole thing is unknown, but he is deserving to be in the final 2 men. I think he should be there with Neil, because I know they have to rely on their solos in the end for votes, and I dont think Pasha can pull it off. I love Pasha though and I think he is a breath of fresh air. I agree with Big Dave, and Dom is being outdanced at this point, but he has entertained me so much more than I ever thought was possible in the beginning.

Mia's number didnt do it for me either. Although it was a personal number so whatever she wanted is fine. I would have liked more difficulty though, and I dont think the judges would have the nerve to rip into it no matter what, but I didnt expect them to go that overboard...the best dance "ever" on tv? Dont think so, IMO. And Lacey hamming it up with the flower in her mouth routine ruined the moment, and made it awkward. I think Lacey is a very selfish dancer, and doesnt care much about her partner. She dances like it is all about her.

I Love Sabra, I hope she wins. She is what the competition is all about and she is so humble and real and it shows in her dancing. Lauren mugs it up to much to the camera, and I reallly dont care for her or her dancing. I enjoy Sara, she is also very entertaining ...but everyone says she is just a Bgirl, but I read in her profile (somewhere) that she had tons of training, and danced in NY at the Broadway dance center, so she is not a one trick pony, and you can tell from her dancing she had tons of training.
Old 08-01-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Danny. Hope that helps him. But it's unlikely that he'll survive next week anyway.

Mia's number wasn't bad as I had expected but the flowers were a bit too much. It was touching but it didn't really move me.

Fav dances:
1. Argentine tango - sara/danny. sara's outfit was a bit ridiculous but still like the dance.
2. latin jazz - lacey/neil.
3. rumba - lauren/dominic. I agree that there was too much posing but I still enjoyed it.
Old 08-02-07, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
3. rumba - lauren/dominic. I agree that there was too much posing but I still enjoyed it.
And she kissed him at the end.
Old 08-02-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by magiccmom
And Lacey hamming it up with the flower in her mouth routine ruined the moment, and made it awkward. I think Lacey is a very selfish dancer, and doesnt care much about her partner. She dances like it is all about her.
I agree, she goes from I'm blessed to have done this and what a special dance to essentially mocking it right after. Fake, fake, fake.
Old 08-02-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think the Mia's dance was great, it was OK. The one she's nominated for with Heidi and Travis was friggin awesome. That's the one I think is the best from SYTYCD.
Old 08-02-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the flower in the mouth was REALLY awkward. Mia probably wasn't too happy to see that. What was Neil and the host's reactions?

I loved how Lauren saved what could have been another awkward moment by cutting in when Dominic was putting his sticky paws all over the host.

I like Lauren and Dominic but it's time for them to go.
Old 08-02-07, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, the flower in the mouth was REALLY awkward. Mia probably wasn't too happy to see that. What was Neil and the host's reactions?

I loved how Lauren saved what could have been another awkward moment by cutting in when Dominic was putting his sticky paws all over the host.

I like Lauren and Dominic but it's time for them to go.
Neil kept his composure and actually didnt mug at all...he seeemed generally subdued or spent from that dance. He held his finger up for his number, but no gawkly facial expressions. I respected him for that.

Poor Mary really lost it. I think the story behind that dance was what was emotional, not the dance at all. The story alone made me cry because of personal stuff...watch that dance without the story, it would have been just lame. That said, I would have rather seen Danny and Sabra dance it.
Old 08-02-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I was definately surprised with the flower in the mouth thing. Not something that is going to knock her out, but a subtle thing that will keep Sabra above her.
Old 08-02-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope it puts Sara above her also.

The judges ddin't impress me last night. They're just filler at this point but they shouldn't act like it. But I guess they weren't happy with most of the dances and didn't know what to say.
Old 08-02-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

During the flower dance I was just praying that Neil didn't slip in a flower.
Old 08-02-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
And Lacey hamming it up with the flower in her mouth routine ruined the moment, and made it awkward.
Oh my god yes! I loved the routine and was feeling kind of choked up at the end myself. Well, I did until she did that and stopped it cold dead. What a dumb thing to do. I like her well enough, but my word. Try to think of the moment genius.

I agree that the only couple to have two good dances were Sabra-Pasha. They were really good together, and neither seem to be "Look at me and only me" dancers so it was a good combination.

It is becoming very clear that Anya was the dead weight in the Danny-Anya pairing, as he is much better to watch with different partners. Like Heidi, he shined as soon as he got away from his first partner. I hope he stays around, and I used to pray for him to go.

Lauren + Dominic are nice enough, but were by far the worst for me. I hope they go tonight.

I wish we could keep Adam Shankman as a judge, he cracks me up. I like how he can be so positive and shower people with over the top love, but somehow fit in really biting and dead on critiques. "Oh my god you were perfect I loved you ok you screwed up x y and z big time but it was heavenly!"

Last edited by onebyone; 08-02-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Lauren made it. Who the hell is voting for her? Sara is clearly the better dancer.

Pasha's solo was pretty weak again. But I won't complain if he makes it to the top 4.

So glad Danny was safe.
Old 08-02-07, 10:18 PM

Count me in as surprised Lauren is safe!! She is really unliked on the SYTYCD threads also. I would have bet money on that one. Dominic was the right choice. His hanging all over Cat was freaking me out.
Old 08-02-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have to imagine the Lauren/Sara vote (or technically lack of votes) was pretty damn close. Sara was gone next week, so it was not a massive shock in the end. I also think Lauren has been better the last few weeks (but I still would have voted for Sara).

I did dig the Matrixesque opening tonight.
Old 08-02-07, 11:31 PM

You knew she wasn't going to win, but I was sad to see Sara go. I really liked her and her personality and her dancing. She was a cool chick. I liked how, after she found out she was leaving, she was up there smiling like she just won first prize. I am going to miss her.

I get the feeling poor Cat won't be missing Dominic. Neither will I. Without Sabra, he got old real, real quick.
Old 08-03-07, 10:03 AM

To me, it looks like the writing is on the wall, and America has picked their favorite top two. Cant see much changing it at this point. Just surprised Lauren has made it this far. I didnt think anything she did was very spectacular.

The top two guys and the top two girls last year ending up dancing together. (Tranji-Travis and Benji)...Can not see how Pasha will dance with Danny! THat will be tricky choreography...just trying to keep it at the same level!
Old 08-03-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah Cat seemed really uncomfortable with Dominic and it looked like her face was getting red. It was kind of funny the first time, but it moved more and more towards creepy. You would have thought a producer or something would have told him to stop after a couple times.
Old 08-03-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dominic was just milking it as much as possible with Cat. What a pervert
Old 08-03-07, 12:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Yeah Cat seemed really uncomfortable with Dominic and it looked like her face was getting red. It was kind of funny the first time, but it moved more and more towards creepy.
I think what made it worse was that his facial expression didn't seem jokey... he had "pedophile at a playground" look. Maybe he was just doing a bad acting job, I don't know.

I'm glad so many people commented on Lacey's flower thing. I've liked her throughout, but that move just seemed so crass and weird. I think she has this ingrained mugging tendency, probably from her swing background. Benji and Heidi had it too, but they both learned to temper it a bit.

I actually like Lauren but that hip hop routine just seemed full of screwups, not just the stumble. Although she's the hottest girl left IMO, so I'm kinda glad she's staying for another week, seeing as that neither her nor Sara really had a realistic chance of winning.
Old 08-04-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i knew Dominic and Sara would go

next week Lauren is a certainty to go and maybe Pascha but it's much closer between the guys.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.