DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Heroes: Origins Discussion (Kevin Smith directing one episode) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/507811-heroes-origins-discussion-kevin-smith-directing-one-episode.html)

Michael Corvin 07-31-07 07:00 AM

Heroes: Origins Discussion (Kevin Smith directing one episode)

No thread for this yet? Hmm. Anyway, announced at Comicon Kevin Smith will be directing one episode of Heroes: Origins, possibly the first one.

From Kevin Smith's Blog: Silent Bob Speaks He also discussed it in his podcast.

Originally Posted by Kevin Smith
Yes - I’m directing an episode (maybe the first episode) of the “Heroes” spinoff “Heroes: Origins”. It’s gonna be fun, to say the least. Big thanks to Tim Kring and Jeph Loeb for not only inviting me to play in their sandbox, but to pop in on their panel with the news. I’m a huge fan of the show, and now to be a part of it is pretty amazing.

But coming out to that rapturous reception from the audience has officially entered my list of top ten career moments ever.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftueBczqqkc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftueBczqqkc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

LorenzoL 07-31-07 07:05 AM

So let me get this straight, Origins will be one hour episode of the "origins" of a particular character? How many origins episode will there be in this upcoming season?

Michael Corvin 07-31-07 07:08 AM

I believe it is only 6 episodes that will fill gaps during the Heroes run instead of showing reruns.

To my knowledge, each episode will focus on an entirely new character(that isn't on Heroes) and at the end of the 6 episodes, fans will get to vote for their favorite. The winner will join the cast of the main show.

raven56706 07-31-07 07:44 AM

i wonder if the kevin smith episode will be a funny episode

spainlinx0 07-31-07 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I believe it is only 6 episodes that will fill gaps during the Heroes run instead of showing reruns.

To my knowledge, each episode will focus on an entirely new character(that isn't on Heroes) and at the end of the 6 episodes, fans will get to vote for their favorite. The winner will join the cast of the main show.

I like that these will be new shows, but I hate this voting idea. It just screams cheesy to me.

LorenzoL 07-31-07 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info.

dadaluholla 07-31-07 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706
i wonder if the kevin smith episode will be a funny episode

Well, it's Kevin Smith....so probably not.

Michael Corvin 07-31-07 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Well, it's Kevin Smith....so probably not.

:crap:

wmansir 07-31-07 09:43 AM

It's mentioned in the video, but not the post text, that Smith will be writing it as well as directing. He talked a little about his experience at Comicon on his podcast this week, but didn't talk about the project itself.

I think this will be interesting because Smith has written comics, wrote a draft of the Superman script long ago and been attached to other superhero projects, but I don't think any of them have panned out.

dadaluholla 07-31-07 10:37 AM

:crap:

Sorry, I didnt know this was only a "pro-Kevin Smith" thread? I really enjoy Heroes and was looking forward to these Origin episodes, but what I've seen of Smith's work has all been mediocre to terrible, so seeing him attached to a show I enjoy is less than positive news.

He seems like a nice guy though.

Michael Corvin 07-31-07 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Sorry, I didnt know this was only a "pro-Kevin Smith" thread? I really enjoy Heroes and was looking forward to these Origin episodes, but what I've seen of Smith's work has all been mediocre to terrible, so seeing him attached to a show I enjoy is less than positive news.

Obviously not, but that is a decent/better response to further discussion. :up:

Simply dropping one line stating all his work is unfunny is a threadcrap since it doesn't pertain to Heroes as it is not a comedy.

TeamAnS 07-31-07 12:14 PM

I thought that this show was to be on during the summer so that the Hero that was voted on would be included in the upcoming season?

Groucho 07-31-07 12:21 PM

I love dick and fart jokes as much as anybody, but they don't seem suited to this show. We'll see.

fujishig 07-31-07 12:32 PM

It's notable that Kring (or Loeb, I forget which) said during the Heroes panel that this was not meant to crossover with the cast of the regular Heroes show, so don't expect many cameos. Rather, it's like a way for others to play in the universe they created. They also made no mention in the panel (that I remember) about the voting thing, though I had heard about that before... is that confirmed?

Jimmy James 07-31-07 05:31 PM

I'd submit that Smith's work on Reaper will probably be the best way to predict how successful his work on this might be. Mind you, I get that he didn't write the Reaper pilot -- he just directed it.

I think Smith's sensibilities fit right in with the show. Heck, he used Ali Larter in a way somewhat similar to the way she was used on the show.

(question eliminated because it was answered immediately above)

Spicollidriver1 07-31-07 09:00 PM

He has more talent then some people give him especially on the writing front. I read the superman draft and it was very good and if someone besides him(his own admission he can't direct action sequences) directed it would of been great

clemente 07-31-07 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TeamAnS
I thought that this show was to be on during the summer so that the Hero that was voted on would be included in the upcoming season?

If I remember correctly from the upfront, Heroes will end its run in early April...and origins will then start and run through sweeps. I remember because it seemed like an odd idea that the most buzzed show on the network would end early for a spin-off.

mhg83 08-01-07 08:45 PM

Has anyone heard if Joss Whedon has been considered to write and direct an episode? I think he would make a really good episode.

Jimmy James 08-01-07 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
Has anyone heard if Joss Whedon has been considered to write and direct an episode? I think he would make a really good episode.

See, I'd be a bit more worried about Joss doing a single episode about a brand new character than I am about Kevin. When is the last time he had to deal with that sort of scenario? Even Buffy was a concept he had previously developed.

critterdvd 08-01-07 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
See, I'd be a bit more worried about Joss doing a single episode about a brand new character than I am about Kevin. When is the last time he had to deal with that sort of scenario? Even Buffy was a concept he had previously developed.

Didn't he mention at comicon he was approached to direct an episode of 'Heroes'... this seems like a more likely fit... I love Joss, but anyone wanna bet her name is 'fray'?

Seeker 08-02-07 12:15 AM

Trying to be serious a bit - we just finished watching season 1 - and wondering what comes next. Any "fill in the blanks"? When does season 2 start and what is the origins stuff and what else am I missing?

Kevin M. Dean 08-02-07 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Seeker
Trying to be serious a bit - we just finished watching season 1 - and wondering what comes next. Any "fill in the blanks"?

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/novels_library.shtml

Michael Corvin 08-02-07 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

:hscratch: He was involved with the movie?

Groucho 08-02-07 08:35 AM

Whedon wrote the movie (although there was a lot of studio tampering between screenplay and final product).

fujishig 08-02-07 12:21 PM

I think the Origins show is going to be shown during the "hiatus," right?

When they first announced the surprise guest director for an episode of Origins at Comicon (before Kevin Smith came out) I thought it was Whedon, since he had a panel in that same room just a few hours later.

Still not sure about the voting a character in thing: is that verified? The character would basically have to be a background guy or fill a generic role, otherwise there'd be a lot of script changes before the second half of the season (book 3?)