TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tom Snyder of the "Tomorrow Show" Dead at 71

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom Snyder of the "Tomorrow Show" Dead at 71

Tom Snyder of 'Tomorrow Show' dies at 71

SAN FRANCISCO - Talk show host Tom Snyder, whose smoke-filled interviews were a staple of late night television, has died after a struggle with leukemia. He was 71.

Snyder died Sunday in San Francisco from complications associated with leukemia, said his longtime producer and friend Mike Horowicz.

Known for his improvised, casual style and robust laughter, Snyder conducted a number of memorable interviews as host of NBC's "The Tomorrow Show." Among his guests were John Lennon, Charles Manson and Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols.

Snyder began his career as a radio reporter in Milwaukee in the 1960s, then moved into local television news. He anchored newscasts in Philadelphia and Los Angeles before moving to late night. He gained more fame when Dan Ackroyd lampooned him in the early days of Saturday Night Live.

In 1972, Snyder left news to host "The Tomorrow Show," which followed "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson.

His catch phrase for the show was: "Fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air." Snyder smoked throughout his show, the cigarette cloud swirling around him during interviews.

In 1995, he returned to late night television as the host of "The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder" on CBS. The program followed David Letterman's "Late Show" until 1998, when Snyder was replaced by Craig Kilborn.

Snyder announced on his Web site in 2005 that he had chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

"When I was a kid leukemia was a death sentence," he wrote then. "Now, my doctors say it's treatable!"
Old 07-30-07, 08:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Aw, man. I used to watch The Tomorrow Show every night when I was a kid.

RIP, Tom.
Old 07-30-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
RIP Tom.
Old 07-30-07, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
What a shame. I was too young to watch him on The Tomorrow Show, but I remember when he did the Late Late Show on CBS after Letterman -- great stuff. They broke the mold when they made Snyder -- he was a broadcasting great.
Old 07-30-07, 02:28 PM

I used to love his show when I was a kid and would watch it during the summer when I could stay up that late. He was very funny and an old school broadcaster. He would have interviews that never went anywhere and, since it was 1 o'clock in the morning when no one was watching, he would just give up and laugh it off. My favorite was when one of his guests didn't show up and he interviewed a cab driver. And the interview with Patti Smith (of the Patti Smith Group) who just hacked and coughed during the interview. When it was over Snyder just railed against her.
Old 07-30-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched Tom occasionally on "Late Late Show" and really really liked him on there.

I also picked up a few dirty jokes from his show and I still use them to this day.

RIP Tom.
Old 07-30-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always remember that episode where Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on his show and left early after Tom kept on another guest longer than he should have and took part of Waylon's time up.
Old 07-30-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's one last colortini for you, Tom.
Old 07-30-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember staying up way too late to watch him as a kid.
Old 07-31-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
West Coasters might want to tune into The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson tonight. Craig opened the show a la Tom & then devoted the last 5 minutes to clips of Tom when he hosted the show. I'd almost forgotten how funny he could be & it was neat to hear the live audience react to the clips. A pleasure to spend a few more minutes with my old pal Tom.
Old 07-31-07, 02:01 AM
Banned

All right, sir.
Old 07-31-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokimok
West Coasters might want to tune into The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson tonight. Craig opened the show a la Tom & then devoted the last 5 minutes to clips of Tom when he hosted the show. I'd almost forgotten how funny he could be & it was neat to hear the live audience react to the clips. A pleasure to spend a few more minutes with my old pal Tom.

Yeah I figured Craig would do something for Tom

My favorite memory of Tom was his interview with KISS.

"Mr Gene Simmons is the Bass(fish) player...er uhm I mean Bass player."

Part 1. The rest are on the page
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jzve-Tmd70"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jzve-Tmd70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 07-31-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked his new show. He had Dennis Miller on a few times those were funny interviews
Old 07-31-07, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I watched Tom occasionally on "Late Late Show" and really really liked him on there.

I also picked up a few dirty jokes from his show and I still use them to this day.

RIP Tom.
I know what you mean. He told a story about going to a bar and ordering a beer called a Greasy Dick. He said, "So you go in and ask for a Greasy Dick. And sometimes you got one and sometimes you didn't ... because they were sold out."

Also, he once introduced a guest this way (and I still laugh about it) "He walks! He talks! He crawls on his belly like a reptile!"
Old 07-31-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Old 07-31-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
CBS has put up the Late Late Show clip if anyone wants to watch
http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latelate/comedy/
Old 10-29-07, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Lately, I've been poking around on YouTube watching Tom interview musicians. Giantrob linked to the KISS interview above, and here's Tom with the Clash:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVygiX0KEEw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVygiX0KEEw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

How come nobody's doing anything like this any more? Wouldn't you love to see some modern day Tom Snyder having a ten-minute conversation with Arcade Fire or the Killers or Jay-Z or whoever it is you listen to?
Old 10-29-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Aw, man. I used to watch The Tomorrow Show every night when I was a kid.

RIP, Tom.
So did I. RIP Tom.
Old 10-29-07, 05:57 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
So did I. RIP Tom.
He has been, for the last 3 months.
Old 10-29-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
How come nobody's doing anything like this any more? Wouldn't you love to see some modern day Tom Snyder having a ten-minute conversation with Arcade Fire or the Killers or Jay-Z or whoever it is you listen to?
One would THINK that some show on MTV would do that (like TRL?), but I'm sure that the younger viewing audience wouldn't give a rat's ass about seeing that. Every other news outlet would avoid the concept for fear of being accused of "dumbing down" the news even more than it already is when in fact it would be much more interesting than the likes of "The best (and worst) Halloween treats".