Reload this Page >

Recommend me some Showtime shows.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-27-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered Showtime to catch up and watch the first season of Dexter (please don't tell me anything about it, as I have not seen an episode yet) since it's available "On Demand" right now. I figured it's worth the cost to see the whole first season, but I may keep Showtime on if I find other shows that I enjoy. So, what shows do you recommend I watch on Showtime? Some of my all-time favorite shows would be: OZ, Twin Peaks, Six Feet Under.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-27-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weeds and The Tudors are supposed to be good. The Tudors is available On Demand right now.
Old 07-27-07, 11:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sleeper Cell (if they still run it?)
Old 07-27-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Weeds and Sleeper Cell are fantastic. I watched a few eps of The Tudors and gave up. I didn't think it was worth the time.
Old 07-27-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Dexter is it, imho. Sleeper Cell fell apart, Weeds is unengaging, and The Tudors wasn't that interesting from the get go.

Many will disagree though, so it's a tough call. Dexter is entertaining but when I watch it, I keep thinking it could still be better.
Old 07-27-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new David Duchovny show Californiacation starts in a couple of weeks too and is getting pretty good advance buzz.

Also, not sure if it's still on on-demand, but Dead Like Me was one of the best series ever. But really, any of their original series are worth checking out. Some are not for me, but none outright suck like typical network shows.
Old 07-27-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Dead Like Me was amazing. I really hated to see it end.
Old 07-27-07, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meadowlands is appreciated in some circles. I was let-down by it though.
Old 07-27-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tudors should have been a 1/2 hour show, as it just becomes tedious after a while... Weeds is great as well as Dexter.
Old 07-27-07, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll check back here later.
Old 07-27-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you aren't watching Dexter, you should be.
Old 07-27-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weeds is my current favorite show on any channel. I watch them on DVD though.
Old 07-27-07, 02:49 PM

I'm watching Season 2 of Weeds on DVD. I found S1 hilarious and through 3 episodes, I think Season 2 may be more of the same.
Old 07-27-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dexter
Old 07-27-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huge fan of Dexter and Weeds.

I think Tudors was OK, but kinda disappointing (still haven't found the will to watch the last two eps).

I've heard that Brotherhood is great, but I haven't seen it yet.

Meadowlands is a great idea for a show, I like it better than Tudors, but it's not exceptional.

And I LOVE This American Life. That was one of my favorite shows in the past year.
Old 07-27-07, 06:01 PM

Dexter is on par with anything else on television or HBO. And I think Rome, Six Feet Under, and the Shield are some of the greatest "art" of the modern era.
Old 07-27-07, 06:08 PM

Looks like a few of them that you mentioned are available to see from the start, others are well into the show. Look like I'll have some new shows to check out very soon. Excellent. Thanks.
Old 07-27-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had Showtime for more than 3 years and my favorite series are Dexter and Weeds. My wife and me never miss a show.
Old 07-27-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the first 3 episodes of the Tudors. The rest are sitting on my DVR waiting for me, but somehow I never seem to have the inclination to watch them.
Old 07-28-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've only seen the first 2 episodes of Dexter & I won't see the rest ti'll Aug. 21st when the DVD comes out but I would highly recommend the show based on just the first 2 episodes I have seen so far, Crime Drama with a American Psycho twist. IMO Michael C. Hall puts on another brilliant performance.
Dead Like Me was no doubt showtimes best show. I thought it was excellently casted, very well written & just a plain out fun show. It's sad the the show got cancelled without a true ending. I would definitly pick up season 1 & season 2 on DVD if I were you. Don't miss it!
Weeds is just plain out boring for me & Mary-Louise Parker's character will annoy the hell out of you. I've never seen The Tudors but it doesn't look like my kind of show.
I'll check out anything starring David Duchovny.
Old 07-28-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dexter is fantastic, and I really enjoyed Brotherhood. On the latter, don't believe the shorthand "Sopranos meets The Wire" show summary, as it's nothing like either show; yes, it's about gangsters and cops (and politicians), but the series rides its own comfortable groove, and the acting is fantastic across the board.

As for the rest, from what I've watched: Weeds reminds me of a far better acted Entourage in that it's a very lightweight, breezy 30 minutes of entertainment with virtually no depth whatsoever. I'm just glad they toned down the "wow, surburbia sure is screwed up, huh?" cliche that the first season had. And giving Kevin Nealon more screentime, as he and Mary Louise Parker are the best things in the show.

The Tudors has its moments, but on the whole elicits a shrug from me, which is pretty impressive for a show that has rampant nudity and sex.

The L Word is basically a female version of Queer As Folk--that is, a silly, overblown soap opera with nudity, though Word adds an air of pretentiousness, as if the writers think they're making great art or something--you really can't do that when your show alternates between laughable attempts at drama and badly lit, robotic sex scenes; that said, it can be a decent way to pass an hour.

Penn and Teller: Bullshit! roared out of the gate, but has really been sucking for the past season or two, possibly because they're starting to run out of subjects; however, a few episodes from this last season got back a bit of that pointed, sarcastic fire the first two seasons had.

Masters of Horror could have been a modern-day Tales From the Crypt, but they've really been dropping the ball--lazy acting, directing, writing, and having the virtue of being quite boring, despite being less than an hour and usually containing impressive special effects. This is even more disappointing when you consider that people like John Carpenter, Joe Dante and Dario Argento--some of the most clever and cinematic directors in the horror genre--churned out some of the worst entries. There's been rumors of a shakeup for the upcoming season, but I'm not holding my breath for improvement.

I've heard that Sleeper Cell really picks up in the second season, but I've never seen it, and I think the show isn't coming back.

So, Showtime is no HBO, but there are some decent gems to be found.

For those that watched Brotherhood:
Spoiler:
I'm really curious as to what Season 2 will bring, and if Jason Isaacs will be back, since he looked kind of, you know, super-dead in the very last shot.
Old 07-28-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^ Wow, I totally forgot about MofH and P&T!

I still like P&T, though I get people's bitching about where the show is now.

As for MofH, I wouldn't be quite as tough on the show as GreenVulture. Yes, some of the eps are not that good at all, but each season there have been one or two that I thought stood out. I liked Argento's two eps, though the second one less than the first. And I really liked Carpenter's first season entry, not so wild about the second season episode though.
Old 07-29-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand why Masters of Horror gets such a bad wrap. All the directors involved have put out much worst crap in the last decade or so. There have been only 1 or 2 episodes that I thought were really bad but, for the most part this is good show.
Old 07-29-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WEEDS and THE BROTHERHOOD are my favorites, but like CRM114, I watch them on DVDs.
Old 12-06-07, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I am one of 4 people who watched Brotherhood season 2, what did the other 3 of you think?

Not quite on par with season 1, but still exceptional television. I do not understand why more people don't watch this show -- especially given the Dexter lead-in.

No idea if it'll return for a 3rd season - have not heard confirmation of this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.