DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Characters in a show that were never seen - only discussed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/507203-characters-show-were-never-seen-only-discussed.html)

7Keys 07-23-07 09:13 PM

Characters in a show that were never seen - only discussed?

Kenny, aka "Bud", on the Cosby Show mentioned his older brother all the time but we never actually saw him. It became a recurring joke w/Bud.

What other shows out there had characters never seen? I'm shooting for a little more than "Ma told me to be home before dinner".

PacMan2006 07-23-07 09:18 PM

Steven Urkel's parents.

Big Shirley on the show "Martin."

Wallet Boy 07-23-07 09:20 PM

The one and only Bob Sacamano (and the occassional Lomez reference).

Doc Moonlight 07-23-07 09:22 PM

One of the first shows I remember was a comedy series called "December Bride". One of the supporting players was a young Harry Morgan (years before he played Col. Potter on MASH). His character was Pete and he always made jokes about his wife Gladys who was never seen. Ultimately, the character was so popular that they did a spin-off series called "Pete and Gladys" and then she was shown every week.

Jimmy James 07-23-07 09:22 PM

Speaking of Seinfeld, we never really saw more than a stray hand or back of the head of George Steinbrenner, did we?

Charlie Goose 07-23-07 09:39 PM

Carlton, your doorman.

Norm's wife on Cheers

Didn't Jerry Seinfeld have a cousin that was never seen? By Uncle Leo.

tommyp007 07-23-07 09:46 PM

Maris

Mhepburn20 07-23-07 09:51 PM

Lars on The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Jimmy James 07-23-07 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Didn't Jerry Seinfeld have a cousin that was never seen? By Uncle Leo.

I'm thinking he was seen in one episode. I vaguely recall him dating somebody Jerry was dating or something like that.

Did we ever see Charlie (of Angels fame)?

Jimmy James 07-23-07 09:57 PM

What about Otis's wife on Andy Griffith? I don't remember seeing her.

Actually, maybe we do see her in the episode where Otis pretends to be a deputy.

GeorgeP 07-23-07 10:01 PM

We saw everything but Norm's wife's face on that "Cheers" Thanksgiving episode.

Did we ever see Mr. Whittendale, the dry cleaner magnate, on "The Jeffersons"?

The teachers in the Peanuts half-hour shows (like Linus' crush Miss Othmar) were never seen. No adults were. Neither was the vicious cat next door.

Speaking of M*A*S*H, I don't recall ever seeing Frank Burns' wife who used to henpeck him over the phone. :)

And we only saw Peg, B.J. Hunnicutt's wife, in that one 1980 dream sequence, and Col. Potter's wife from far away in a picture on his desk. Same with Radar's family, who we never saw except when he played his mom in that 1973 home movie. :)

EDIT: Wait a minute...Otis was MARRIED?! The guy who spent every night in the drunk tank? Wouldn't that kind of be a dealbreaker in a relationship?! :lol:

We never saw the waitress Barney was dallying with over the phone, though, before he committed to Thelma Lou. What was her name...Juanita?

JimmySRU 07-23-07 10:37 PM

Bill Bratsky

JohnSlider 07-23-07 10:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unseen_character

Is there anything not on Wikipedia?

Keith6601 07-23-07 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeP
We saw everything but Norm's wife's face on that "Cheers" Thanksgiving episode.

Technically no we didn't, but the actress that played Vera was the same one that Cliff had the date with in the Halloween costume episode so we do know what she looks like.

calhoun07 07-23-07 11:24 PM

Speaking of M*A*S*H, I don't recall ever seeing Frank Burns' wife who used to henpeck him over the phone. :)

Kind of hard considering she was on another continent. But we did see her in one episode that I can recall...I don't recall which season it was from but it was the episode where Hawkeye and Trapper found home movies Frank had and they watched them with Col. Blake and Radar. They showed Frank's wife in there, and Hawkeye and Trapper made the voices for Frank and his wife for fun since the movie was silent.

Mikael79 07-23-07 11:55 PM

My favorite: Father Bigley from one of my favorite shows - Father Ted.

whotony 07-24-07 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
Bill Bratsky

lol.
does that count

Brent L 07-24-07 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
Bill Bratsky

We sorta saw Bill Brasky once:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6488/braskyhz1.jpg

:D

Perkinsun Dzees 07-24-07 12:19 AM

George Glass

whotony 07-24-07 12:34 AM

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: the Mysterons.

thats a good one.

whotony 07-24-07 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
George Glass

who?

Jadzia 07-24-07 12:44 AM

Tino from My So-Called Life

Giantrobo 07-24-07 02:32 AM

And we only saw Peg, B.J. Hunnicutt's wife, in that one 1980 dream sequence, and Col. Potter's wife from far away in a picture on his desk. Same with Radar's family, who we never saw except when he played his mom in that 1973 home movie. :)

We saw both wives in home movies. As mentioned above, we saw Frank's wife in a wedding day film and we saw BJ's wife when she sent the film for their anniversary.

Seantn 07-24-07 02:49 AM

Nanny on "The Muppet Babies" only showed off her legs wearing those green/white striped stockings.

Drexl 07-24-07 06:03 AM

We never saw the Bubble Boy on Seinfeld, but we heard his voice. Joe DiMaggio might qualify.