Bear Grylls (Man vs Wild) is a fraud

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-23-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2116195.ece

Last edited by Kal Varnsen; 07-23-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
it's always been obvious that Survivorman kicks Bear's ass....he's the true survivalist. Grylls is just an adrenaline junky that does unnecessarily risky things just because.
Old 07-23-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if he will admit to having a life vest on under his sweatshirt when he went floating down the river in the Rockies ep?
Old 07-23-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even Bear having people film him shows how much more Survivorman has on him. He doesn't have to lug around the camera equipment. It always seemed like a copy-cat show anyway, and one not as good.
Old 07-23-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is born survivor the british title for man vs. wild? or are they different shows?

i still like bear's show more than survivorman's.
Old 07-23-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured as much, but I view the show as a "how to" on survival. I just knew he didn't have any idea what native plants were in ALL areas of the world and if you ever watched the credits you would see other survivalist credited.

One episode that has always made me crack up is when he was in Africa, at night, going past lions and such. It was pretty damn obvious, based on the bright patches on his shirt, pants, face, the horizon, and the shadows that they filmed that during the day.
Old 07-23-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by dpz301
is born survivor the british title for man vs. wild? or are they different shows?
Based on the episode descriptions in the article they are the same show.

I also enjoy Man vs Wild more than Survivorman (though I like Les Stroud as well), primarily because of Bear Grylls' presentation, not because I think he is in constant actual peril. Plus, Survivorman is 7 days on his own, and Grylls is rarely out there more than two nights -- two very different scenarios.

I also don't think Man vs Wild has ever been presented as some sort of true survival test, but more of an "action lecture" based on "potential" real life situations. That being said, did anyone actually believe he stumbled on wild mustang stallions and had a chance of riding one? Besides, no one in their right mind would try that if they were truly only trying to survive as you would GREATLY increase your likelihood of sustaining injury and essentially making a fatal mistake.
Old 07-23-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suspected that. I stopped watch that show for pretty awhile.
Old 07-23-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets calm down, these are allegations, and have not been proven yet. Lets wait till the facts come out.
Old 07-23-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
it's always been obvious that Survivorman kicks Bear's ass....he's the true survivalist. Grylls is just an adrenaline junky that does unnecessarily risky things just because.

Yeah true survivalist? Knowing that you are going to get picked up 7 days from today? Oh that Satelitte phone with a instant pickup in case of trouble, thats not so bad either.
Old 07-23-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
The show is still entertaining.

I've always liked Survivorman more just because it's amazing what he does. The fact that Les lived in the wilderness with his wife for over a year is telling in of itself.
Old 07-24-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(Slightly off-topic, but don't forget the new season of Survivorman starts next month.)
Old 07-24-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

...Check your local listings.

I personally like Surivorman much better & Man vs Wild isn't really that great.
Old 07-24-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Lets calm down, these are allegations, and have not been proven yet. Lets wait till the facts come out.
The court of public opinion requires far less evidence than the court of law.
Old 07-24-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe

Yeah, I don't think there are going to be any "facts" coming out, but it sounds like the spokesperson basically admits it:

“Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a ‘how to’ guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments,” the spokeswoman said.

“The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls’s experience is one of unaided solo survival.”
Old 07-24-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

I also don't think Man vs Wild has ever been presented as some sort of true survival test, but more of an "action lecture" based on "potential" real life situations. That being said, did anyone actually believe he stumbled on wild mustang stallions and had a chance of riding one? Besides, no one in their right mind would try that if they were truly only trying to survive as you would GREATLY increase your likelihood of sustaining injury and essentially making a fatal mistake.

Yeah, thats what I don't like about the show, if it's trying to be an "action lecture" then why tell people to do things that are more likely to hurt your chance of survival. It's a fun show, but that's about it. (there is a good quote on that article "Watching this show for wilderness survival education is like watching the Dukes of Hazard to learn defensive driving.")

Last edited by starman9000; 07-24-07 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 09:12 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

None of this makes Bear Grylls a fraud -- it makes him ... a wrestler!
Old 07-24-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Still love the show. TV is entertainment, and so is the show. The fact that I sit in front of my TV instead of going to Scotland or the Alps is the best survivor tool in the world.
Old 07-24-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see it as fraud. It takes a real man with a strong will to eat a live snake, live frog, worms, magots, drink from poop, drink his own pee, etc.
Old 07-24-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont care if these allegations are true. The show isnt about just sleeping in the wild at night. Its about showing us ways to survive out there. Its not like on the show he took that zebra meat, got in a truck, drove to a hotel and cooked it up in the room and ate it. I dont really care if he showed us how to make a shelter out of trees that fell to the ground and then as soon as he was done he went to a Holiday Inn...he still showed us how to make the shelter.
Old 07-24-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
I dont care if these allegations are true. The show isnt about just sleeping in the wild at night. Its about showing us ways to survive out there. Its not like on the show he took that zebra meat, got in a truck, drove to a hotel and cooked it up in the room and ate it. I dont really care if he showed us how to make a shelter out of trees that fell to the ground and then as soon as he was done he went to a Holiday Inn...he still showed us how to make the shelter.
It's dishonest, the show has you think he goes from wilderness to find civilization. In reality, he's near a hotel. The show should be called "Man vs Hotel".
Old 07-24-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love his show. It would lose some luster, but I would still watch if this is true.
Old 07-24-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regardless, the title of the thread is misleading. If anything, you could argue that the show itself is a fraud. But Bear Grylls has done many of the toughest things done by any human, and walked almost anywhere mankind has walked, save for the surface of the moon. Bear Grylls himself is definitely no fraud.
Old 07-24-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Bear Grylls has done many of the toughest things done by any human, and walked almost anywhere mankind has walked, save for the surface of the moon.

"Top that you limey bastard!"
Old 07-24-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Seriously, I think a lot of people want to bring Bear down because what he does makes most of us seem like adventureless lemmings. If he can be made to seem less authentic, people won't feel so bad about their own wasted lives. If the show is entertaining, how the hell is it fraud? Here's a partial list of what I've seen him do that I'd never consider doing myself:

1.) Drinking water from elephant shit
2.) Eating bugs, maggots, snakes, raw fish, etc.
3.) Intentionally jumping into a frozen pond
4.) Free climbing rock formations that would make Spiderman wet his pants
5.) Skinning a rotten deer carcass and using the fur as a blanket

Any man who can do those things, not to mention climbing Everest AFTER breaking his back, is no pussy even if he sleeps at a hotel occasionally.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.