DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   When does Battlestar Galactica get bad? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506678-when-does-battlestar-galactica-get-bad.html)

Christi P 07-17-07 07:50 PM

When does Battlestar Galactica get bad?

I just got into Battlestar Galactica. I watched the pilot miniseries, and I thought it was brilliant. I bought the first two seasons on DVD.

However, I've heard a lot of people say that the show has dropped in quality recently.

When does it get bad. And how bad? Is it "last seasons of Buffy and X-Files" level of bad?

When would be a good time to stop watching? I planned to get season 3 when it comes out.

Peep 07-17-07 07:53 PM

When they find Earth.

DJariya 07-17-07 07:53 PM

Who said it was bad? Last season was solid despite a slow start. Looking forward to the final season

Tommy Ceez 07-17-07 09:36 PM

Well, even though this was the worst season, the first 4 episodes were some of the most amazing, action packed, hellish episodes in Sci-Fi history...

Colnl Tigh is un-freaking believable, issuing one of the most chilling lines I ever heard and S3E4 has the most unbelievable action sequence to date...so really, dont stop watching

SonOfAStu 07-17-07 09:39 PM

In my opinion, the third season got BAD, and not just "not as good as the first two seasons" but "wow, this writing is retarded and the acting is terrible" bad after the boxing episode "Unfinished Business" which was the 9th episode of season 3.

However, I don't think you should stop watching after that. Season 4 will be the last and I would suggest sticking it out through the rest of season 3 in hopes that they have a tight final season.

davidh777 07-17-07 09:44 PM

Keep watching and judge for yourself when you don't want to watch anymore.

Adam Tyner 07-17-07 09:44 PM

Personally, I thought the second half of season two was so awful that I couldn't make myself watch season three.

riley_dude 07-18-07 12:14 AM

This has never been "Bad." Sure there are some not so great episodes but every series has those.
Keep watching.

MrX 07-18-07 12:35 AM

The stand alone episodes in season three sucked for the most, the start of the season and the end I thought were good.

GuessWho 07-18-07 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
When they find Earth.

Yep.... flying motorcycles

Arpeggi 07-18-07 01:00 AM

The opening credits of the first episode.

Chew 07-18-07 06:55 AM

Bad: never (at least, not yet). Boring: several episodes in season 3.

DaveCole 07-18-07 07:18 AM

I still enjoy it and look forward to the fourth season and how they wrap it all up.

Lara Means 07-18-07 07:49 AM

BSG never gets bad. Some people may have complained about certain episodes in Season 3, but they are being stupid.

rfduncan 07-18-07 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Keep watching and judge for yourself when you don't want to watch anymore.

I think the point was should he buy season 3 on DVD or just stop after S2. :rolleyes:

stingermck 07-18-07 08:06 AM

Never

starseed1981 07-18-07 08:52 AM

Well the original started sucking when the started running out of finances.

The remake has never gotten bad! BRING ON SEASON 4.

JuryDuty 07-18-07 08:54 AM

Well, it never gets bad and STAYS bad. But definitely the middle of season 2 and the middle of season 3 are strong let-downs. You certainly get the idea that there are several "filler" episodes between the storylines that really mean a lot to the writers and actors.

So don't give up on it. Just realize that if you hit a few bad shows in a row, it will get better again. In fact, it will get GREAT again. :)

pinata242 07-18-07 08:56 AM

S3 will play better on DVD than on TV for those of us that had to wait a week for the next episode after the "boring" stand-alones.

It has never been bad and with an end date in sight, one hopes that S4 will be balls-out action and story progression. If I'd invested any time in the series, especially 50% of it, I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of quitting now.

Palaver 07-18-07 09:13 AM

"Battlestar Galactica" and "bad" are not words I would use in the same sentence. Obviously some episodes are better than others, but I would never use the word "bad" to discribe an episode of BSG.

das Monkey 07-18-07 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Well, it never gets bad and STAYS bad. But definitely the middle of season 2 and the middle of season 3 are strong let-downs.

I tend to agree with that. It's a peaks and valleys kind of show, with a steady average decline. Most of Season 1 is very good with a few average eps. Season 2 is back and forth, with some great and some below average. Much of Season 3 is terrible with a few good eps to mix it up.

If you like the show, you may as well just stick with it to the end. It's almost over anyway. Of course, this assumes Season 4 won't suck and won't make the overall journey worthless, which is probably foolish on my part. Just have laundry ready to do during Season 3, because you'll want to get the basic plot points without wasting an hour.

das

Fielding Mellish 07-18-07 10:08 AM

A simple answer to the original question -

immediately after the "New Caprica" rescue in season 3.

adamblast 07-18-07 10:12 AM

Count me in with the "never" crowd. Still excited as hell to see the final season.

...I haven't seen it in any thread here yet, but TV Guide claims [casting spoiler]
Spoiler:
...negotiations have been successful to bring Lucy Lawless back into the show.

slop101 07-18-07 10:49 AM

Yeah, the episodes vary.
It goes like this:

If an episode has Cylons, it's good.
If there are no Cylons, it's not so good.
And if it focuses on some love triangle, it flat-out sucks.

Setzer 07-18-07 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Last season was solid despite a slow start.

Slow start?? Last season started with a bang and then it went down hill from there. I thought there were a few good episodes as we got towards the end but nothing beat those first 3 episodes.