Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Love - "Dating Game" - 7/16/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-16-07, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having uncovered Bill's romantic secret, Margene befriends an unsuspecting Ana, then arranges lunch with (the unequally unsuspecting) Barb and Nicki at the diner to introduce them to their prospective sister-wife. Bill tries to get a reluctant Don to embrace his Weber Gaming deal; later, he discusses his attraction to Ana with several fellow polygamists.
Excellent episode tonight - best of the new season, IMO. Margene really shined in tonight's episode. A very touching scene with her and Ana in the bedroom and a very funny scene with her and Bill later on.

Spoiler:
Finally, the return of Frank next week!
Old 07-16-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love me some Margene!
Old 07-17-07, 12:19 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the show I look forward to most each week. I love the interaction between the sister wives, Nikki is great with Margene, and I want Rhonda to die a painful death, preferably branded in all the wrong places.

Maybe Bill can trader her for the gaming company!
Old 07-17-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"She'll love Barb. She'll... learn to love Nikki."

Margene has become the best character on this show.
Old 07-17-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was rooting for Bill to take on the fourth wife.
Old 07-17-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved how Anna's apartment # was "4"....great episode
Old 07-17-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
"She'll love Barb. She'll... learn to love Nikki."

Margene has become the best character on this show.
That was a great comment. There seemed to be several one-liners that were hilarious. What was it that Bill said to Margene about they both couldn't be dating the same woman or something?

Ginnier Goodwin should be getting an Emmy nom for this season. The whole cast is amazing, but she's taken it to another level.

When tonight's show was over, it was like I'd just finished watching an entire, intense and emotional motion picture. One scene hammered you and the next one did the same.

I agree that it might have been the very best show so far and that's saying something, because each week for the last month seems to have been some of the best tv I've ever seen.

I don't like Rhonda, but loved to finally hear her stop playing both sides when she said, "kiss off" to Barb. Hopefully, with her staying there we'll see more of Tina Majorino.

I was hoping for the 4th wife too. Isn't there some Mormon loophole, where Margene can have a wife of her own?
Old 07-17-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
That was a great comment. There seemed to be several one-liners that were hilarious. What was it that Bill said to Margene about they both couldn't be dating the same woman or something?

Ginnier Goodwin should be getting an Emmy nom for this season. The whole cast is amazing, but she's taken it to another level.

When tonight's show was over, it was like I'd just finished watching an entire, intense and emotional motion picture. One scene hammered you and the next one did the same.

I agree that it might have been the very best show so far and that's saying something, because each week for the last month seems to have been some of the best tv I've ever seen.
I totally agree. This was my favorite show during the first season and it's even better this season. It's easy to see how Bill fell in love with Margene. Hell, I was falling in love with her and I don't believe in the principle! (Just kidding honey ) Ginnifer is just a phenomenal actress.

I knew we wouldn't get a fourth wife just because of the logistics and dynamics, but damn if I wasn't rooting for her (and Margene) all the same.

I don't like Rhonda, but loved to finally hear her stop playing both sides when she said, "kiss off" to Barb. Hopefully, with her staying there we'll see more of Tina Majorino.
I'm afraid it might mean less since her dad doesn't want Sarah hanging around. Hopefully Tina won't have to quit the burger joint.
Old 07-17-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
I totally agree. This was my favorite show during the first season and it's even better this season. It's easy to see how Bill fell in love with Margene. Hell, I was falling in love with her and I don't believe in the principle! (Just kidding honey ) Ginnifer is just a phenomenal actress.

I knew we wouldn't get a fourth wife just because of the logistics and dynamics, but damn if I wasn't rooting for her (and Margene) all the same.

I'm afraid it might mean less since her dad doesn't want Sarah hanging around. Hopefully Tina won't have to quit the burger joint.
My first thought was thst if Heather and Sarah can't hang out, that might mean less of Tina as you mentioned. Then I thought, when do these girls listen to anyone and Heather probably feels to blame, so we might see her try and make things right. Or, just keeping us in the Rhonda storyline, we have to go into Heather's home and the viewers are really connected to Heather, of the people in that household, so I think we'd still see her.

I'm just trying to be hopeful. I've already lost Mac this year.
Old 07-17-07, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Best episode so f.....blah blah

Loved this episode. Maybe they will not investigate this any further but I think that without realizing it, Margene was feeling, well more than friendship towards Anna. There was definitely some sexual tension between them. Margene was so awesome in this episode. I hope she decides to continue the frienship.

Bill went down a few notches in likeability in this episode, which is okay because his downfall due I think is one of the ultimate themes of the show. But it finally showed his selfishness in "the principle" when he lost interest in Anna because of Margene's infatuation with Anna.

All this and the stuff with Rhonda was just spot on......

But then....we get the white van with psycho androgynous chick and the show takes one of those creepy unexpected little turns it always does.

I really love this show, and I hope HBO sticks with it. They will not produce a higher quality one than this.
Old 07-17-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This season is an order of magnitude better than the first, and I loved the first. I can't stop heaping praise on this show - every scene, character, and even line of dialogue is executed to perfection.

I agree with the poster who said that Margene has taken things to another level. The acting has been so good for the past few episodes that I find myself getting sucked in on a visceral level. She really, more than anyone else, brings out the complexities of living this particular lifestyle.
Old 07-17-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"I dont keep him on a leash"

"whats that supposed to mean"

**You know what I'm talking about look from Margene**

That was my favorite exchange of the episode.

The "Dont wait up" line was just the cherry on top.

Love this show!
Old 07-17-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loved this episode.
Old 07-17-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

great episode, the large Moe and the lady in the suit freaked me out

she seemed disappointed that she wasn't allowed to brand Bill!
Old 07-17-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm completely in love with Margene. She owns this season.
Old 07-17-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sven
"I dont keep him on a leash"

"whats that supposed to mean"

**You know what I'm talking about look from Margene**

That was my favorite exchange of the episode.

The "Dont wait up" line was just the cherry on top.

Love this show!
Seems like everyone's favorite lines come from Margene this ep. Mine was from Bill, when he was talking to Margene.

Bill said something about how the Holy Spirit has to talk to him.

Margene: "Maybe the Holy Spirit is talking to me..."
Bill: (Puzzled look)..."Is He??????"

The look on Bill's face was priceless. My wife and I actually rewound this 3 times! Hilarious!
Old 07-17-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about that weirdo henchperson that was going to brand Bill? I was not expecting yet another bizarre character to enter the fold!
Old 07-17-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
It's hard to imagine them doing the ice skating/opening credits with four wives all of a sudden... egads.

Actually, I want a dream sequence version of the credits, where he's got 13 wives, and a few fall into the ice cracks.

Last edited by adamblast; 07-17-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
It's hard to imagine them doing the ice skating/opening credits with four wives all of a sudden... egads.

Actually, I want a dream sequence version of the credits, where he's got 13 wives, and a few fall into the ice cracks.
I was trying to picture how he was going to convince one of the neighbours to sell him another house...
Old 07-17-07, 10:06 PM

"They branded him!"

"In the industry?"

"No...In the keister!"
Old 07-17-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great episode.

Love how everyone considers Nikki a hard person to love... with that "learn to love Nikki" line. Margene (Ginnifer) is great, and her smile just lights up the room. What a cutie.

I really don't care of someone chooses to have multiple wives, but I'm rolling on the floor when I hear them discuss their beliefs about it - it sounds so absurd. Don's suggestion to Bill regarding explaining taking a 4th wife: "Remind her that earthly increase is the due of every righteous man, as is eternal increase on resurrection" had me laughing because it sounds so far out there. No offense to any mormons on this site.

The hitman with the horrible wig and the androgynous one in the suit are pretty freaky. We had a sort of Napoleon Dynamite reunion since the androgynous one played Napoleon's grandmother and Tina Majorino were in the same episode.

Last edited by Coral; 07-17-07 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The guy that plays "Don"(Joel McKinnon Miller) was on an ep of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and he had the same flat top haircut. I love that guy.
Old 07-17-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The guy that plays "Don"(Joel McKinnon Miller) was on an ep of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and he had the same flat top haircut. I love that guy.
My favourite appearance by Joel was as Shaq's doctor at the golf clubhouse in Curb Your Enthusiasm:

Larry: How you doing? Sorry to bother you. I've got a little thing on my back. I was hoping you could save me a visit to a dermatologist.

Dr. Wiggins: Sorry, I'm running a little late.

Larry: It'll only take a second. Take a quick look at it. I'm sure it's nothing, you could just tell me...

Doc: You can make an appointment, and just come on down to the office. I'll be happy to look at it there.

Larry: I mean it'd just take a second, you know, just say something, nothing, you know? It's like looking at your watch really.

Doc: Jesus. What do you do for a living?

Larry: I'm a writer.

Doc: Tell you what, next time you're in a big hurry, why don't you write me a bunch of shit for free?

Back to the thread topic, it looks like Don was the wise one on this gambling business. Bill was lucky to escape the brand.

BTW, how did Bill's tire get fixed? I suppose, technically, it could've taken place between him calling Margene and them sitting and talking.

And, I thought Margene would at least go back in to say bye to the waitress. She left her hanging, and she was already bummed out over Bill. Poor girl...

I guess it's like not saying goodbye on telephone calls.
Old 07-17-07, 11:45 PM

They left in Margene's car. His was still sitting there behind them when they pulled out.
Old 07-18-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grem458
They left in Margene's car. His was still sitting there behind them when they pulled out.
Oh right! He still has flat tires!

I loved the pamphlets the reverend gave to Ben - "Satan's Thrust"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.