Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Victoria Beckham comes to America

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Victoria Beckham comes to America

Old 07-16-07, 09:24 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria Beckham comes to America

Anyone watch this? It wasn't as horrible as I thought it might be. She's good to look at and I got a chuckle or 2 out.
Old 07-17-07, 12:49 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,621
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was definitely better than I thought it was going to be.

A lot of funny awkward moments, and fish out of water moments
Old 07-17-07, 01:39 AM
  #3  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 21,086
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it, one off show wasn't it.

That's it. She seems to, like I thought be well aware of her little world.
She understands and uses the media very smartly.

When they arrived in the US, the end of the show, it was her and David, the kids had flown with them but were taken out the back way from LAX..

When they left for the US, the boys were pictured wearing red white and blue, and converse high tops.

She r smart.
Old 07-17-07, 06:12 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just another Paris Hilton
Old 07-17-07, 06:29 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 4,009
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is she that chick who married the pro kickball player or something?
Old 07-17-07, 06:47 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,143
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ktown
just another Paris Hilton
Except for the fact that, A, she's actually good looking. B. she's not a two bit whore. C. doesn't seem as dumb as a bag of hammers. D. actually earned her fortune and fame.

Exactly like Paris.
Old 07-17-07, 07:20 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sven
Is she that chick who married the pro kickball player or something?
funny stuff.
Old 07-17-07, 09:33 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,771
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sven
Is she that chick who married the pro kickball player or something?
I laughed.
Old 07-17-07, 09:48 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,583
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She and her husband have yet to realize that no one gives a shit about soccer compared to football, basketball, and baseball in this country. The owner who made that $250,000,000 deal will regret it. This is Pele and the Cosmos all over again.
Old 07-17-07, 10:05 AM
  #10  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 21,086
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that turd.

Real Madrid reckon they made 300M from Beckham being there. if you look on the LA Galaxy Store webpage, the top 5 items sold are all beckaham related memorabilia.




1. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Home Jersey
2. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Youth Home Jersey
3. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Away Jersey
4. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Away T-Shirt New
5. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Home T-Shirt New
Old 07-17-07, 10:41 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,922
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ktown
just another Paris Hilton
Not even close.

And I was suprised by how much of a sense of humor she actually has.
Old 07-17-07, 10:50 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
She and her husband have yet to realize that no one gives a shit about soccer compared to football, basketball, and baseball in this country. The owner who made that $250,000,000 deal will regret it. This is Pele and the Cosmos all over again.
According to the President and GM of the LA Galaxy, the organization has already recouped their entire financial investment today, even if he never starts a game. Now they just hope he can help them win games.

das
Old 07-17-07, 10:59 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,583
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
According to the President and GM of the LA Galaxy, the organization has already recouped their entire financial investment today, even if he never starts a game. Now they just hope he can help them win games.

das
I'd love to see numbers that back that up.
Old 07-17-07, 11:01 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,583
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I doubt that turd.

Real Madrid reckon they made 300M from Beckham being there. if you look on the LA Galaxy Store webpage, the top 5 items sold are all beckaham related memorabilia.

1. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Home Jersey
2. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Youth Home Jersey
3. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Away Jersey
4. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Away T-Shirt New
5. 2007 adidas Los Angeles Galaxy Beckham Home T-Shirt New
I have no doubt that his impact in Europe was enormous. I just think it will be a tougher sell in the face of the big three sports leagues in America.
Old 07-17-07, 11:44 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously, I don't have their financial statements at my beck and call, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do some basic math. They owe Beckham $50 million dollars in salary over 5 years. $25 million of that is immediately covered by a new 5-year Beckham-dependent sponsorship contract with Herbalife. They sold in excess of a quarter-million #23 jerseys before the design was released to the public. Who knows how many they've sold by now. I don't know what the mark-up on those is, but I assume it's quite a bit, so let's say that's about $10 million in revenue on the pre-orders alone. They've added all kinds of luxury packages and have upped their ticket prices to reportedly outrageous amounts that are selling like hotcakes and are apparently being snatched up by big-name LA celebrities like Tom Cruise, and once one is on board, they all have to do it to look fashionable (or control their Thetans).

Anyway, early figures don't make it seem that unrealistic. Keep in mind that the Galaxy doesn't have to get revenue from Americans alone. Apparently they're making a killing selling Beckham-related merchandise to Asia.

das
Old 07-17-07, 01:56 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,583
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Obviously, I don't have their financial statements at my beck and call, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do some basic math. They owe Beckham $50 million dollars in salary over 5 years. $25 million of that is immediately covered by a new 5-year Beckham-dependent sponsorship contract with Herbalife. They sold in excess of a quarter-million #23 jerseys before the design was released to the public. Who knows how many they've sold by now. I don't know what the mark-up on those is, but I assume it's quite a bit, so let's say that's about $10 million in revenue on the pre-orders alone. They've added all kinds of luxury packages and have upped their ticket prices to reportedly outrageous amounts that are selling like hotcakes and are apparently being snatched up by big-name LA celebrities like Tom Cruise, and once one is on board, they all have to do it to look fashionable (or control their Thetans).

Anyway, early figures don't make it seem that unrealistic. Keep in mind that the Galaxy doesn't have to get revenue from Americans alone. Apparently they're making a killing selling Beckham-related merchandise to Asia.

das
That makes sense. I still believe there is only one man great enough to wear #23 in all of sports history.
Old 07-17-07, 02:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't dispute that.

I don't know if his signing will have much of an impact on the sport in America -- it will probably backfire since the casual sports fan doesn't understand that Beckham isn't a goal-scorer -- but at this point, it does seem to be a pretty sound business decision by the Galaxy. It probably wouldn't work anywhere else in America other than LA, though.

das
Old 07-17-07, 03:07 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,468
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God wouldn't have given us hands if he wanted us to play sports without them.
Old 07-17-07, 05:47 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,177
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She has no talent and looks like an alien. If it wasn't for her famous husband, no one would remember who she is.
Old 07-17-07, 05:51 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,088
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sven
Is she that chick who married the pro kickball player or something?
Pro?
Old 07-17-07, 05:54 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as a football (read: soccer) fan, i hate the bitch
Old 07-17-07, 06:02 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,147
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
God wouldn't have given us hands if he wanted us to play sports without them.
That's what I said with feet. And yet, everytime I try and kick a basketball, I get whistled for a violation.
Old 07-17-07, 06:38 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,468
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
That's what I said with feet. And yet, everytime I try and kick a basketball, I get whistled for a violation.
Referees obviously do not understand God's plan for us. They're like, neutral and shit.

And yes, she's a space alien, which is why Tom & his captive like her so much.
Old 07-17-07, 08:15 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,241
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by driv3
as a football (read: soccer) fan, i hate the bitch
Cause she's rubbish at the corner kick?
Old 07-17-07, 08:40 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was and will always be my favorite spice girl. If we still had a team in the bay area then I would drive my butt down there with my kids and enjoy the game.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.