DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Next Food Network Star, JAG Big Liar (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506502-next-food-network-star-jag-big-liar.html)

HunterTexas 07-16-07 12:04 AM

The Next Food Network Star, JAG Big Liar

What an &*%hole, he lied throughout the competition, crying like a big baby when things didn't go his way. Someone in the militarty should kick his $%#. He should never been seen from again. What a jerk.

her34 07-16-07 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by HunterTexas
What an &*%hole, he lied throughout the competition, crying like a big baby when things didn't go his way. Someone in the militarty should kick his $%#. He should never been seen from again. What a jerk.

That was some of the worst acting i've seen. More painful to watch than him crying.

This whole show has lost a lot value because everything was so FAKE!!!!!!! And we're talking about a reality show here

1) Food network didn't know for months that he lied about graduating from a culinary school? yeah right...

2) The best of the bunch was Amy and they were really going to kick her off?

3) He lied about his deployment? Huh? He's trying to be a chef and he lies about military background?

4) I've never seen such strained dramatic acting. Not even on Tom Cruise

5) yay, foodnetwork got people talking about the 'scandal'

Jimmy James 07-16-07 06:38 AM

I know nothing of the scandal, but I do know I saw the episode with I think 5 people remaining. Everybody was brutal, but JAG was the least brutal just because watching his "high energy" act was like watching a train derailing -- catastrophic but somehow compelling enough you can't look away. It doesn't shock me he won out of that field, but I think this crop of "talent" is a good sign there shouldn't be another season of this competition.

ETA: Wikipedia clarifies for me that he didn't win. Now what you guys were talking about makes sense. I know I remember Amy because she was a freaking disaster. I can't say I recall much about the other competitor, but she can't be that memorable. America has quite a choice on its hands there.

Vipper II 07-16-07 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I know nothing of the scandal, but I do know I saw the episode with I think 5 people remaining. Everybody was brutal, but JAG was the least brutal just because watching his "high energy" act was like watching a train derailing -- catastrophic but somehow compelling enough you can't look away. It doesn't shock me he won out of that field, but I think this crop of "talent" is a good sign there shouldn't be another season of this competition.

ETA: Wikipedia clarifies for me that he didn't win. Now what you guys were talking about makes sense. I know I remember Amy because she was a freaking disaster. I can't say I recall much about the other competitor, but she can't be that memorable. America has quite a choice on its hands there.

Amy was a disaster on that particular episode, yes, but her recovery was absolutely spectacular; she's been a completely different person since then. She's knowledgeable (hell, Alton Brown was impressed with her), upbeat, passionate, consistent, and she can obviously handle the audience thing. As much as I like that Rory chick, Amy is by far the most worthy, and I just cannot understand what prompted the judges to cast her off before the whole issue with JAG surfaced. I'm beginning to wonder if this show truly is staged.

Turd Ferguson 07-16-07 11:13 AM

I think they truly were fooled by JAG until his lies surfaced, but I also think the little scene where he came in and tearfully pulled himself from the competition was totally staged. I'm sure they told him, "Either we boot your ass off the show and send you off in shame or we'll film a scene that allows you try and leave with a little dignity."

jonw9 07-16-07 11:25 AM

I wonder if somebody that served with JAG spilled the beans, so to speak. Maybe they got rid of him because Emeril sued for copyright infringement.

I really don't care who wins this time, I won't watch either show. I don't need 30 minutes of explanation for fancy-schmancy eggs.
I hope Rory wins I guess, at least her food seems enticing.

I was hoping for the local boy to win, but Adrian never seemed to pull it together.

Vipper II 07-16-07 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jonw9
I was hoping for the local boy to win, but Adrian never seemed to pull it together.

That's assuming he even had anything to pull together. Based on what I saw of him, all he seemed to have was a boatload of arrogance.

Mok 07-16-07 12:19 PM

I'm hoping Amy wins she has the best on screen personality.

Vipper II 07-16-07 12:20 PM

Amy and Rory remind me of Tina Fey and Toni Collette, respectively.

Sweet Baby James 07-16-07 12:37 PM

Amy definitely reminds me of a poor man's Elaine Benes.:)

jonw9 07-16-07 12:51 PM

Amy:
http://images.foodnetwork.com/webfoo...stants_amy.jpg

Jean Louisa Kelly (Kim Warner on "Yes, Dear"):
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/p...%20Kelly-2.jpg

Deftones 07-16-07 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by her34
That was some of the worst acting i've seen. More painful to watch than him crying.

I think that recorded part of him explaining himself was all scripted. He looked very fake and unnatural. Any normal person in that situation would want to just fall off the face of the earth. It think there must have been something in the contract that stipulated that he needed to do that.

I also think that the producers made a collosal mistake sending Amy home. Sure, it's been rectified, but if I had to choose watching a show between the three of them, it's not even a close competition. Rory's teeth are huge and her gums are distracting. She also gets flustered and mispronounces words. JAG was too high energy, and the stuff he made always looked like it was way more work than the payoff would be.

her34 07-16-07 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think that recorded part of him explaining himself was all scripted. He looked very fake and unnatural. Any normal person in that situation would want to just fall off the face of the earth. It think there must have been something in the contract that stipulated that he needed to do that.

I also think that the producers made a collosal mistake sending Amy home. Sure, it's been rectified, but if I had to choose watching a show between the three of them, it's not even a close competition. Rory's teeth are huge and her gums are distracting. She also gets flustered and mispronounces words. JAG was too high energy, and the stuff he made always looked like it was way more work than the payoff would be.

it wasn't a mistake. jag's dumb lies weren't suddenly discovered.

this whole thing was contrived for ratings.

amy has a great story to tell about winning even though she was kicked off, "anything is possble" "keep believing"

this stunt is low even for a reality show

sjrab16 07-16-07 02:42 PM

I gave up on this show a while ago because I could not stand any of the final 7-8 people, I knew no matter who won I would not be watching their show. This season totally sucked, if it does come back next year they better plan on revamping it...at least making it like it used to be.

Vipper II 07-16-07 03:32 PM

Whatever happened to Dan and Steve? Did they fizzle out, or something? I never *could* stand them.

jonw9 07-16-07 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Whatever happened to Dan and Steve? Did they fizzle out, or something? I never *could* stand them.

I ran across there show every now and then, but never watch it. I think it is called "Party Line" or something.

I do watch Guy's show when it is new.

Deftones 07-16-07 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by her34
it wasn't a mistake. jag's dumb lies weren't suddenly discovered.

this whole thing was contrived for ratings.

amy has a great story to tell about winning even though she was kicked off, "anything is possble" "keep believing"

this stunt is low even for a reality show

:confused:

How do you figure? Do you have some inside knowledge to this, or are you speculating. I'll assume the latter, since you don't provide a shred of evidence.

bluesix 07-16-07 08:27 PM

This show itself makes me question what kind of clowns are running the Food Network. And after 3 seasons watching Bob Tushman and Susie Fogelman you get some idea that these 'execs' have little to no food experience other than the ability to taste it and shit it out. I'd love to see a resume on those two to see what makes them qualified as 'judges'.

The only worthwhile commentary during any of these competitions comes from the true chefs who have shows...Bobby Flay, Giada, Paula Deen, hell even Alton Brown. The fact that Food Network freely admits, 'Hey, we can take any schmuck off the street and make them into a show host that you can waste time watching' pretty much tells you the level of quality to expect.

I will give them credit, after watching this circus for three seasons they have at least gotten better at creating competitions where their recruits might honestly learn the skills needed to put on a show. The first season was practically a giveway to the gay dudes. This year's almost made me think these clowns were actually growing from the experience!!! But unless these people have real culinary skills or worked as chefs why should we care what kind of crap they try to convince us to make and serve to our loved ones.

The first year winners, Dan and Steve's show is infinitely better than train-wreck Guy Fieri because they had real cooking experience. Guy was just a restaurant owner. I doubt Amy or Rory will have great shows either since neither has very good qualifications either...unless being married to a French guy automatically gives you street cred!

What Food Network needs is a decent Latin cooking show. And I can tell after watching Ingrid Simply Delicioso, she ain't it. The overwhelming majority of Latinos in the US are Mexican so someone based in Miami doesn't seem like the best choice. I'm guessing this is probably why Bob and Susie pushed JAG through hoping to get a piece of shit show out of him that would fill this missing demographic.

Why, why why can't they screen out half the idiots with no culinary experience or at least sprinkle a few more skilled candidates in to weight the competition with more worthwhile contenstants??? At least then the eventual winner with their 13 show commitment might actually create something worth watching. I suppose that would just make too much sense.

Septemberbaby 07-22-07 06:12 PM

Tonight's winner is going to be on The View tomorrow.

jonw9 07-23-07 08:49 AM

SO the results are in.
Spoiler:
Amy wins

I wasn't sure if a new thread was needed. Is anybody going to watch the winners show?

DVD Josh 07-23-07 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jonw9
SO the results are in.
Spoiler:
Amy wins

I wasn't sure if a new thread was needed. Is anybody going to watch the winners show?

This reeks of a fix.

Vipper II 07-23-07 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This reeks of a fix.

Why? Taking into account quality of food prepared, overall food knowledge, and demeanor, Amy was clearly the most qualified. I do think it sucks for Rory, though, since she probably would have had a much better chance had JAG not resigned from the competition.

Sweet Baby James 07-23-07 09:24 AM

The result annoys me because
Spoiler:
Amy first wants to quit the competition and is then eliminated by the judges.
Now she wins and has her own show(which I will not be watching-I don't think that I can stomach hearing
Spoiler:
"fancy schmancy"
one more time).

jonw9 07-23-07 09:34 AM

Why? Taking into account quality of food prepared, overall food knowledge, and demeanor, Amy was clearly the most qualified. I do think it sucks for Rory, though, since she probably would have had a much better chance had JAG not resigned from the competition.

Spoiler:

Not necessarily a fix, but I feel bad for Rory. First Amy wants to quit, and was coerced back by the judges. Then Amy was decided to be not as good as Rory and Jag, but then comes back and beats the person that was deemed better a week before. Rory was crushed. They showed her as the were zooming on Amy and she appeared to be sobbing. No congrats, I am sorry hug from Amy either.

This seems like a pre-determined ratings thing, but who can say. Seems less obvious then the Hell's Kitchen stuff, but still seems apparent. That may just be the cynic in me.

I am wondering what is going on with Amy's French husband, who is from France. He was missing from her home visit, and the finale as well.

Spoiler:

I agree fully on the "fancy schmancy" thing, which is why I didn't vote for Amy, and probably won't watch the show. I would rather hear "JAG it up" every week. :lol:

DVD Josh 07-23-07 09:34 AM

Why? Taking into account quality of food prepared, overall food knowledge, and demeanor, THE WINNER was clearly the most qualified. I do think it sucks for THE LOSER, though, since THEY probably would have had a much better chance had JAG not resigned from the competition.

I'll spoiler my response just in case:

Spoiler:
First, Amy quits, then unquits. She bitches the entire time about how she misses her family and questions whether she wants to be there. Then she's kicked off and only let back on when JAG is found out to be a liar.

It's manufactured drama of the highest order.

I'm not disputed anything you said about her talent wise (although we haven't tasted his/her food!). The rest of stuff just seems sketchy to me.