DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What FBI/Cop shows do you like? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506413-what-fbi-cop-shows-do-you-like.html)

DVDMagic 07-14-07 04:24 PM

What FBI/Cop shows do you like?

Really starting to get into FBI/Cop shows in this last 6 months or so.

What are your particular favorites, including any episodes?

I'm currently playing catch up on 'CSI: Miami'. I was never a big fan of David Caruso, but a few people recommended it to me, so I picked up Season 1 from CH and flew thru that and now have my Netflix queue filled with all available discs.

Red Dog 07-14-07 04:42 PM

If you enjoy CSI:Miami (as a serious cop drama), then you should enjoy just about any cop drama. ;)

Spicollidriver1 07-14-07 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Really starting to get into FBI/Cop shows in this last 6 months or so.

What are your particular favorites, including any episodes?

I'm currently playing catch up on 'CSI: Miami'. I was never a big fan of David Caruso, but a few people recommended it to me, so I picked up Season 1 from CH and flew thru that and now have my Netflix queue filled with all available discs.

You didn't like Caruso in NYPD Blue? I really like the law and orders, but Homicide Life on the Street is fantastic could watch that the rest of my life.

Jimmy James 07-14-07 05:39 PM

Homicide
The Shield
Line of Fire

Those are my favorite true cop/FBI shows. Since it looks like we're really talking more about the crime genre overall given the presence of a CSI show, I'll also list:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
100 Centre Street
Law & Order
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Oz
Crossing Jordan (with Ken Howard)

nemein 07-14-07 08:51 PM

CSI and CSI: NY (didn't care for Miami)
Shield
The Wire
Numbers
Criminal Minds

Chauzer 07-15-07 12:11 AM

the wire
the shield

Tscott 07-15-07 01:27 AM

All time:
Homicide
The Wire - watched seasons 1-3 on DVD, waiting anxiously for season 4 to show up on DVD.

Currently:
The Closer - been watching this on TNT since day one. Great cast and when things come together, it's better than anything currently on TV (like last weeks episode, "Ruby").
NCIS - just watched seasons 1-3 on DVD - great show, fun with good chemistry.
Bones - just watched season 1 on DVD - fun, better than I expected.

nateman 07-15-07 07:09 AM

I find CSI: Miami pretty boring & the acting gets worse & worse every season it seems. I used to like David Caruso when he was on NYPD: Blue but for some reason he just doesn't strike a cord with me in CSI: Miami.
I like alot of these FBI/Cop shows but the very best in my opinion are:

Homicide: Life on the Street - Brilliant writing & very well acting, probally the most compelling storylines for a crime drama I have ever seen. I highly recommend this terrific Drama to any fan of the Crime genre.

NYPD: Blue -Again brilliant writing & great storylines lead this show to greatness. The last few seasons of the show were weaker than earlier seasons due to the many changes of the cast, but it was still a good show ti'll the end & it didn't take the quality hit that ER did after Carter left (or for that matter Dr. Greene left) the show. Again the DVDs are a must by but FOX is taking their time releasing the seasons out on DVD, Currently only seasons 1-4 are available but I highly recommend you pick them up! you will not regret it.

Law & Order - It's Law & Order? whats not good about the most highly acclaimed crime drama of all time? I'm currently playing L&O catch up with seasons 1-5 on DVD & I'm currently loving it so far (more than half way through season 4). The Current episodes on TV are pretty substandard & even go into the "Bad" catagory. If you want to catch up with Lenny, Chris & the gang get L&O on the ole' DVD. Classic crime at it's best.

Those are my top 3 but I like many other CD's but those are the top 3 best ones in my opinion & you can't go wrong with any of those.

All the ones other people have mentioned (NCIS, The Shield, The Wire, etc.) are also great crime dramas as well.

Bill Needle 07-15-07 09:49 AM

This is probably the one genre (along with lawyer shows, which I lump in with them) which I have never enjoyed a single one I have seen. Well, these and hospital shows as well. Too many of them to boot, so to the casual viewer they are indistinguishable from one another.

jjcool 07-15-07 12:15 PM

Heartily reccomend Homicide and the Shield. The two best cop shows ever. Period. Tried to watch the wire. Just couldn't get into it. Way to slow for me, i guess. I was bored out of my mind trying to watch it. Alot of people will group the wire with the shield. I personally dont see a comparison.

movie diva 07-15-07 12:48 PM

The first season of Boomtown was great, my favorites are The Shield, The Wire, Crime Story. CSI Miami is comedy.

DJariya 07-15-07 01:09 PM

Current Procedural Dramas I like include:

All 3 CSI's.....although Miami probably had one of it's worst season's last year.

Bones.....Good cast and good chemistry between Boreanaz and Deschanel

The Shield

The Closer......Great summer drama

NCIS......although last season was one if it's weaker seasons

Criminal Minds.......We'll see how Gideon's departure changes the dynamics of the show

Cold Case.......last season was one of it's best seasons.

Without a Trace....although it's become extremely dull in the last 2 seasons especially when Hank Steinberg left to do "The Nine"

Shark.......All about James Woods.

The Unit.............Once the wives storylines were scaled back, the show got better.

nateman 07-15-07 01:59 PM

How the hell did I forget about Boomtown? I loved it, thought it was a very original show but sadly people did watch it so after 6 episodes into the second season it was "Goodbye" Boomtown.

NCIS this season (4th) was very weak but I think now that Donald B. has stepped down & Mark Harmon is happy the 5th season should hopefully be back to "Classic" NCIS like the first three seasons.

Cold Case was excellent this season & It was definitely more intresting than Without a Trace this season which was shocking because WAT using blows that show out of the water in terms of Quality.

I couldn't get into Shark even being a James Woods fan didn't help me from being bored to death when watching that show. I quit watching The Unit a couple of episodes into this past season (2) because I really just didn't find it that intresting as I found it during season 1, I might pick up the second season when it comes to DVD (have the 1st) just too see if the rest of the season was any good or not.

Criminal Minds is going to go down the toliet now that Mandy "I'm a prick" Patinkin has left the show. I know some of the actor's arn't horrible but MP. kind of evened out T. Gibson's not so great acting abilities.

Crime Story was indeed another classic like Boomtown that should have been more greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I forgot to mention HAWAII-FIVE-O!!! "Book em' Dano!"

Spicollidriver1 07-15-07 02:45 PM

I love Boomtown watched the dvds like 3 times through now. Hawaii Five o had its moments some good some bad.

TheNightFlier 07-15-07 07:27 PM

The Wire
The District
Cold Case
Homicide

DVDMagic 07-15-07 08:36 PM

Guess that 'CSI:Miami' isn't the favorite then. I can see why it might not appeal to a lot of people, but hey, I enjoy it. Sometimes the storylines in the other shows are a little heavy and slow, so this makes a nice change.

Also enjoy 'Without A Trace' and eagerly awaiting the 3rd Season on DVD because again thios was another show I caught on DVD just recently (picked up Season1 for $8.XX from Amazon last year).

Also a fan of 'Numb3rs', 'The Shield' and if you want to throw in 'Millennium' and 'The X Files' just because they feature the FBI so to speak, then them as well.

I crrently have 'Bones', 'The Closer' and 'Profiler' in my Netflix queue too

Shannon Nutt 07-16-07 07:34 AM

The two most realistic FBI shows I've seen:

The X-Files
Twin Peaks

:thumbsup:

:)

Charlie Goose 07-16-07 07:47 AM

Homicide: Life on the Street

NYPD Blue

The Shield

Law & Order (original only)

Third Watch

Cannon

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Ayre 07-16-07 08:04 AM

Wow ... I haven't watched a single show on this thread so far. Kind of leads me to the conclusion that I don't like cop/FBI shows. I flipped to a rare random episodes, but most shows none at all.

Now detective shows, thats a different story.

EDIT: OOPS just saw Twin Peaks listed. I watched it and liked it a lot.

nateman 07-16-07 08:54 AM

Spicollidriver1
I love Boomtown watched the dvds like 3 times through now. Hawaii Five o had its moments some good some bad.
Oh, you didn't like the last few seasons of Hawaii Five-O when it should have been renamed to "The Jack Lord show". :lol: