DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Nateman Loves Seinfeld!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506410-nateman-loves-seinfeld.html)

nateman 07-14-07 03:43 PM

Nateman Loves Seinfeld!!!

Mother of God!

It's has happened! I was flicking channels this afternoon & I decided to give Seinfeld one last try because of all the tomfoolery in the "Does anyone else not find The Simpsons funny?" thread.
SO far I have watched 3 back to back to back episode & it is completely hilarious!!! Maybe it took alittle bit of a talkin' too to get me intrested in the show, Honestly I don't know WTF happened but I now...

LOVE SEINFELD!!!

I still love Scrubs don't get me wrong but I think now I will be going out to get all the Seinfeld DVDs currently available because I indeed do think in only a 3 episode re-re-re-re trial run, that indeed Seinfeld is the BEST SITCOM EVER!

Seantn 07-14-07 04:15 PM

Watch the Seinfeld series finale.... You'll, um, love it.

J.J.A. Sabadoz 07-14-07 04:48 PM

I was like that too. I was never interested with the bits I saw in primetime, but I gave it another shot when it hit syndication, and really liked it and watched it every day following.
However, after watching it through I fouind that the show had no replay value for me at all, so I'm back to not caring about it.

clckworang 07-14-07 05:57 PM

^^^ Really? There are some eps that I can just watch over and over again, like The Contest.

Congrats, nateman. I know I've had a few of those Eureka! moments when I had previously not understood the appeal of something that everyone else loved (still don't get the Friends appeal, though).

EdTheRipper 07-14-07 06:11 PM

I've seen every episode of Seinfeld numerous times as they originally aired and in syndication. I put off watching the dvd sets for a while thinking they'd be a bit stale after so many viewings but I was wrong. The shows were as funny as ever.

Ayre 07-14-07 07:45 PM

I have hated Seinfeld since it was aired, but I was just thinking about Seinfeld today and started laughing. I am going to go out and buy all the DVDs as well.

We are having a mass epiphany !!!

HE Pennypacker 07-14-07 08:12 PM

Greatest show ever.

RichC2 07-14-07 09:03 PM

I don't think it's as great as people make it out to be, but I enjoy it from time to time.

Amazing a show about such unlikeable people got so popular.

Michael Corvin 07-14-07 10:09 PM

Somehow I think nateman is pulling the wool over everyone. I'm not buying it. Maybe an attempt to get everyone off his case. If not, I stand corrected.

What episodes did you watch? What was so great about them? For someone who seemed to hate the show so much it seems like quite a turnaround.

Cardsfan111 07-14-07 11:47 PM

You think it was really Nateman posting? Has he ever used the word 'tomfoolery' before?

SexualPudding 07-15-07 12:40 AM

I call bullshit. It looks like an attempt to gain favor with the boardies who have been on his ass lately. The typing skills in the post also look to be quite a bit superior to what nateman's posts usually look like.

mndtrp 07-15-07 01:54 AM

Most people will agree that the show is pretty funny. However, does anyone actually laugh at the standup bits that bookend the shows? I skip over them every time they come out.

hardercore 07-15-07 02:00 AM

LOL, Nateman is a fucking h00t.

benedict 07-15-07 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
However, does anyone actually laugh at the standup bits that bookend the shows?

It is a while since I've seen the show, but didn't they stop with Jerry's standup pieces after a few seasons?

nateman 07-15-07 06:29 AM

No, Indeed I do now think Seinfeld is a good show & I'm not trying to gain any favor from anyone, If i dislike a show I will tell you about it but I had an Eureka! moment I guess because for some reason I thought it was funny as hell! No BS.

I no I have hated this show for a long, long time & have said some pretty horrible things about it because I didn't like the show, I've never understood why I didn't like the show but I am happy as hell that I now like the show because from what I have seen, It looks like I have been missing out on some pretty hilarious stuff about "nothing".

So I apologize for saying bad things about the show because I indeed do now think Seinfeld is a good show & I'll keep you updated as I get the DVDs.

I'm not Bullshitting at all. and yes I have used the word 'tomfoolery' before.

I still will never understand why anybody likes Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond? I just find them to be way to formulaic. & don't worry I still hate Grey's Anatomy & American Idol with a passion.

I also still don't get the appeal of The Office but maybe i'll get into it one day, It's the only one out of the 4 NBC thursday night comedies that I don't love. I do however think Extras sounds intrestings but I have never seen it, is it worth a blind buy on DVD? is it anything like the brilliant Larry Sanders Show?

Now after years of hating Seinfeld & having a complete turn around about the show I now have an opener mind about shows that i didn't like at first.

Ayre 07-15-07 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I'm not Bullshitting at all. and yes I have used the word 'tomfoolery' before.

I thought this was some serious tomfoolery.
Nate ... don't walk into the light. Its a trick. Seinfeld still isn't funny.

HE Pennypacker 07-15-07 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by benedict
It is a while since I've seen the show, but didn't they stop with Jerry's standup pieces after a few seasons?

Yeah, they stopped those three or four seasons into the show.

cdollaz 07-15-07 09:30 AM

Now you need to "get" The Office and all will be better.

wetsprockets 07-15-07 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
However, does anyone actually laugh at the standup bits that bookend the shows?

I laughed at the stand up routine at the end of the series finale, which was the only funny part of the entire episode.

dhmac 07-15-07 03:34 PM

I completely understand where Nateman is coming from on this. Way, way back in the Before Times (the 1993/1994 season to be exact), some very good friends encouraged me to check out Seinfeld even though they knew I hated network sitcoms (and still do, with few exceptions). My friends said Seinfeld was different from other sitcoms and that I really should start watching it. So I watched it once and didn't get what the big deal was. But because they're good friends, I trusted their judgement so I kept on watching. And after about 3 more episodes, I was hooked! I absolutely loved the show from that point on (well, except for the lame-o finale - avoid it, Nate, as long as you can) and still do to this day.

ktown 07-15-07 04:04 PM

i dont see how a show could be funny watching it a few more times
if the show wasnt funny the first few times i dont understand how its funny now
its the same jokes and the same characters nothings changed from the first viewing

Jimmy James 07-15-07 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ktown
its the same jokes and the same characters nothings changed from the first viewing

I don't get where you're coming from at all. For one thing, a lot of shows get more or less funny as they progress. The Office was a bit touch and go for most of its first season, but it was gold its second. Similarly, Seinfeld didn't really get cooking until season 3. There are plenty of other examples, too.

Michael Corvin 07-15-07 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Yeah, they stopped those three or four seasons into the show.

I think it was closer to season 7.

dhmac 07-15-07 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ktown

It's due to getting to know the characters, getting into the whole vibe of the show, catching running jokes, etc. - stuff that usually can't be grasped on just watching a single episode. For example, the whole "Jerry vs. Newman" running joke is virtually impossible to get the humor of for someone watching the show for the first time ever. And Seinfeld, unlike most sitcoms, bases its humor more on the characters and their quirks in particular situations instead of depending on dropping one-liners for laughs.

RaraFemina 07-15-07 07:04 PM

I have found that I like Seinfeld more now that I am older. It is all about the characters and their quirks, which i guess i just wasn't interested in when i was younger. Now I find it hilarious.