DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mandy Patinkin quits Criminal Minds (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506397-mandy-patinkin-quits-criminal-minds.html)

DJariya 07-14-07 01:05 PM

Mandy Patinkin quits Criminal Minds

Ed Bernero who is the head writer and Executive Producer of Criminal Minds posted a statement on a Criminal Minds Fan Blog that says Mr. Patinkin has indeed left the show without any explantion before the 1st episode of season 3 was even shot yet.

http://criminalmindsfanatic.blogspot.com/

CRIMINAL MINDS: OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM ED BERNERO
There have been several reports recently in the media about the Mandy Patinkin situation on Criminal Minds. Firstly, they are true -- Mr. Patinkin has left the show. What's troubling to us though, is that the reports tend to suggest or hint that the Producers, the Studios or CBS have something to do with what has happened. Phrases like 'maybe cooler heads will prevail...' and the like have been used. Let me make this clear: this is not about a contract renegotiation, this is not about money, this is not about something Mr. Patinkin asked for that wasn't provided -- in fact, everyone involved in the show has for two years bent over backward to give him ANYTHING he wanted.

Mr. Patinkin told the show, the studios and the network the he was returning right up to the day before we started shooting the first episode and then simply did not show up. He also has not contacted anyone within the show (producers, cast, crew) to explain why he isn't returning. Even to this moment, we have no word from him. He gave us no advance notice that anything was wrong, no oppurtunity to find a way to make the loss of this character work, no indication that we should be looking for someone else, no warning that we might have to rewrite the first seven scripts (which is how far ahead we try to work) without the central character in them. None. Zero. He was not, as some media reports have indicated, written 'lightly' in our first episode, in fact, it was quite the opposite. Because of the construct of the first episode story, he was actually in the center of that episode. He left us completely in the proverbial lurch.

As loyal fans of the show, we think you all deserve an explanation and I wish I had a better one to give you. The most amazing writing staff in television is working very hard to find a way to make this work and we will find a way to give you the organic, dramatic experience you expect from CM.

If I have new news I will provide it and if there are questions you have, Jill will provide a way to get the questions to us at the show and we will do our best to answer. If you hear a rumor, please ask us. I remain touched and humbled by the support you have all shown the show.

Thank you so much --

Ed Bernero

ChrisHicks 07-14-07 01:06 PM

Nooooo!!!!!!! :(

RichC2 07-14-07 01:07 PM

The most amazing writing staff in television is working very hard to find a way to make this work and we will find a way to give you the organic, dramatic experience you expect from CM.
They hired the writers of the Sopranos S1 - 3?

DJariya 07-14-07 01:12 PM

I'm amazed at the unprofessionalism of Mr. Patinkin's departure. Fortunately, the show isn't all about Jason Gideon and is more of an ensemble show.

MrX 07-14-07 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The most amazing writing staff in television

I like the show but that line made me rotfl

onebyone 07-14-07 01:29 PM

I have a hard time believing he was a total douche like they made him out to be. That release is very slanted. I will wait for the full story before casting blame.

I only started watching this show for him. I am not totally sure I would watch without him. This just sucks!

LorenzoL 07-14-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I have a hard time believing he was a total douche like they made him out to be. That release is very slanted. I will wait for the full story before casting blame.

I only started watching this show for him. I am not totally sure I would watch without him. This just sucks!

That report sounds very one sided. However, his reputation as being very difficult to work with is well known.

DJariya 07-14-07 01:42 PM

I understand it's probably tough to get up around 4 or 5am and work until 10 or 11pm 5 days a week for 10 months, but when you sign a 5 year contract to be on a television show, you should stick with it or at least give the producers enough advance warning that you want to leave.

At least when Lola Glaudini left the show early last season, she gave them enough notice to have them write a small story arc to get her character off the show. I'm not sure how they are going to explain Gideon's departure.

LorenzoL 07-14-07 01:48 PM

Although this show is hardly discussed here in the TV forum, it still one of my favorite shows.

However, there were reports last year that there were tensions between Thomas Gibson and Mandy Patinkin. Hard to say if this was a salary related or if there were actual problems in the set but I have to say that the most "amazing" writing staff will need to come up with something big to explain Gideon's absence in the show since he is a more important part of the show than Lola Glaudini ever was.

movieking 07-14-07 02:49 PM

I think that Ausiello did a blind item about two stars that hated each other on an old show ended up being on a new show together without even knowing (this was obviously a while ago). Not sure if is was confirmed, but it was assumed that it was Gibson and Patinkin.

Patinkin already has one of the worst reps in the business for being a jackass, and this ain't gonna help.

adamblast 07-14-07 02:57 PM

I guess he's free for the Dead Like Me reboot now, if anyone wants to hire him again. Odd that he's been so difficult to work with in TV. I always expect the big-time Broadway stars to have a work ethic.

nateman 07-14-07 03:49 PM

Patinkin was the main reason why I watched Criminal Minds & now that he has left I don't know if I will be watching because without him the show would just be another slightly above average procedural Crime Drama.

I don't know if Gibson & Patinkin like each other or not but if I were CBS i would let T.G. go because Mandy can actually act & his acting abilities far surpass Gibson's.
I hope now that he's free he will do the Direct-To-DVD movie of Dead Like Me. Could Patinkin be the next David Caruso?

Seantn 07-14-07 04:08 PM

I guess he's free for the Dead Like Me reboot now, if anyone wants to hire him again. Odd that he's been so difficult to work with in TV. I always expect the big-time Broadway stars to have a work ethic.
Unfortunately for him, they started filming the DLM movie a few weeks ago, so he's too late on that. If it's true that he actually just left this show with no warning, maybe Dead Like Me won't want him back. Who would want an actor like that on their set. He's probably costing the production of Criminal Minds a TON of money by forcing them to reschedule shooting days at the very last minute and re-write 7 of their scripts. If they had known he was leaving, they would have found a replacement for him probably back in May or June. Now they have to rework a ton of stuff. It's so unprofessional, even if it was about a salary dispute. I'm actually very much looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

malichai 07-14-07 10:06 PM

I also started watching the show for Mandy Patinkin. I'm not sure if I'll check out when he leaves, because I do like the other characters, but, to me, he was the most compelling actor on the show.

DJariya 07-14-07 10:30 PM

According to the Ausiello report, Mandy Patinkin will return for 1 episode to wrap up Gideon's storyline. There is still no word on what's the deal with him.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...irms/800018559

onebyone 07-14-07 10:50 PM

No Mandy on Dead Like Me or Criminal Minds? That seems too cruel. I watched both of them for him in the first place.

I hope to hear more about what happened. My tv world has been rocked.

Decker 07-15-07 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
That report sounds very one sided. However, his reputation as being very difficult to work with is well known.

Didn't he walk off of Chicago Hope as well?

nateman 07-15-07 06:54 AM

My big question is, who would want to leave a pretty popular TV show?

If I got the role on a TV show that even got mediocre ratings I would still be extremely happy to be on board with the show. I guess being an actor for a long time can sometimes give you a big head & you think your so great.

I'll take the role as the new lead of Criminal Minds :lol: Seriously though I wonder who will replace him? My vote (as always) is Alan Alda! I'm glad that at least with the NCIS situation that Donald B. actually stepped down from the show because Mark Harmon didn't like the time he had to put in due to script changes & whatnot.

LorenzoL 07-15-07 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Decker

Yes, he did that in order to spend more time with his wife.

Originally Posted by nateman241
My big question is, who would want to leave a pretty popular TV show?

Again, he has been known to do this so there is a previous precedence for his behaviour.

TGM 07-15-07 10:27 AM

Maybe he wants on board the "Dead Like Me" resurrection?

Groucho 07-15-07 11:59 AM

This all started when Patinkin noticed that Bernero had six fingers on his right hand.

jjcool 07-15-07 12:13 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing as i read the original post.

GoldenJCJ 07-15-07 05:48 PM

I stopped watching Chicago Hope after he left and was somewhat surprised to see him pop up in Criminal Minds after his CH departure. I seem to remember him making a pretty big deal about not wanting to be on a TV show because it was too time consuming and stressful.

I've never seen Criminal Minds but the only person I could name on that show was Patinkin. Am I mistaken in thinking that it'll be hard for this show to survive without him?

Deftones 07-15-07 08:18 PM

WTF? Terrible news. He was the best reason to watch that show. :(

BDB 07-15-07 09:12 PM

No loss, I didn't like his character, although I hate gibson's character more.