DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Resurrection of 'Dead Like Me'? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506375-resurrection-dead-like-me.html)

TGM 07-14-07 04:47 AM

Resurrection of 'Dead Like Me'?

http://media.bestprices.com/dvd/cov1...40620ggyc2.jpg

TV Cast returns for Dead Like Me movie!
Date : July 13, 2007 Posted By : Clint Morris

http://www.moviehole.net/news/200707...dead_like.html

I loved “Dead Like Me”. I think it was a great little show. Not only was it welcomingly different from everything else on the box at the time, but it was superbly well written and, more so, meticulously cast.

Bloody Disgusting reports today that most of the original cast members of the TV series are returning for the feature film version - set to be released on DVD sometime in the next year.
Though there’s no mention of Mandy Patinkin, Ellen Muth, Callum Blue, Britt McKillit, Jasmine Guy and Cynthia Stevenson have all elected to return to the roles they played for two seasons on the popular Showtime series. Laura Harris, who played the role of Daisy on the series, will not be returning. That character will be recast.

As for the reason Mandy Patinkin isn’t in the film – the answer may lie in the movie’s synopsis.

“When Calvin Kane, a slick businessman who couldn't care less about helping the newly dead, takes over Rube's [the character played by Patinkin] Head Reaper duties, all hell breaks loose, bringing out the worst in Daisy, Roxy, and Mason. George, however, is determined to set her latest, botched reap right, especially because the boy who was supposed to die, Hudson Hart, is her little sister Reggie's secret boyfriend. In the process, George and Reggie re-connect for real, for the first time.”

Ellen Muth, who played the lead role of George (ever so wonderfully), told fans on her MySpace that the film may open the doors for a new series.
“Just to let all you DLMers out there know that this past week, I have been informed that after this "Dead Like Me" movie comes out, it may, go back to series. After seeing the movie, you'll have to be the judge of whether or not you like the new concept. Give it a chance. I know we all hate change but it has been two years since season 2 so there has to be evolution.”

As for all the changes with the movie…?
“Wow, you all have taken this small change thing to another level. It's not that big of a change. It's still the same story line just a few new changes being that Mandy isn't in it and because time, two years, have passed”, added Bluth.

My company actually got the sides for the Daisy role.
It says Breakdown-- Daisy: Late 20s-Early 30s, Caucasian, preferably blonde, pretty and spoiled. She's an actress who died in the 1930s, supposedly on a set fire during the filming of "Gone With the Wind." Despite her somewhat immoral and solipsistic world-view, Daisy can be charming, extremely likable and generous when the mood strikes her. To Mason's jealousy and annoyance, Daisy immediately falls for Calvin, the new Head Reaper, who helps Daisy secure an understudy role in the play "After the Fall." Of course, being an understudy will not do for Daisy, and she deliberately injures the lead actress so she can take over the part. However, the stress of performing every night proves too much for Daisy, and she begins drinking heavily -- even during performances. Her love affair with Calvin sours quickly after that, and Daisy realizes, along with Mason and Roxy, that slacking on her reaper duties has been her true downfall.

Filming on the “Dead Like Me” movie, which is being directed by Stephen Herek (“The Mighty Ducks”, “Mr. Holland’s Opus”), is now underway in Montreal Canada.

LivingINClip 07-14-07 06:50 AM

Bring it on. That is one of the single best shows in along time.

nateman 07-14-07 08:13 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the current Showtime/HBO Lineup & the last great show to come out of HBO was The Larry Sanders Show & that ended like 10 years ago.
Dead Like Me was a terrific show & i really wish that it wasn't cancelled at the end of season two because it could have really took off into Showtime's biggest hit. I wish Mandy Patinkin was signing on too do the Direct-To-DVD movie but I think the main & most likely reason for not doing the movie is because he is already the lead of the hit CBS pro. crime drama, Criminal Minds. Laura Harris was on an episode of CSI this past season so I wonder why she has decided not to return.
I hope this movie doesn't fuck up the great series & let's hope it's not a huge letdown.

Tracer Bullet 07-14-07 08:25 AM

I still don't understand why this show gets all this acclaim around here. Season two wasn't great, and the way they kicked Bryan Fuller off the show shortly after the pilot and changed a lot of the characters and stuff was pretty shitty. I just really don't get it.

movielib 07-14-07 08:56 AM

Great show, great news. Will miss Mandy terribly, but it's understandable given his recent success and I remember he doesn't like to overwork from when he went part time on Chicago Hope.

With Laura Harris not coming back I wouldn't have minded seeing Rebecca Gayheart and her Betty character return.

Although it had a few inconsistencies it is one of my favorite shows ever.

Gizmo 07-14-07 09:33 AM

Maybe a spoiler but did Rube ever 'leave' at the end of the series? I guess in the movie he already has.

sjrab16 07-14-07 10:08 AM

Who knows maybe Mandy will come back, I read over on E! website that he did not show up for the table read of the first episode of Criminal Minds.

theedge 07-14-07 11:08 AM

I think season two was mainly rushed...I don't know if they knew it was the end of the road...it was a great series and a great cast...I think it stinks that Mandy won't be in the show, he at least brings some star power as well as great acting...lets see how the new Daisy and Calvin bring it on..

Overall, great news on the movie and even better news on a series! I wish Sci-fi or some other public station would get it instead of Showtime...

actionjackson29 07-14-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I still don't understand why this show gets all this acclaim around here. Season two wasn't great, and the way they kicked Bryan Fuller off the show shortly after the pilot and changed a lot of the characters and stuff was pretty shitty. I just really don't get it.

Bryan Fuller left because the network didn't want George's dad to be gay. I actually think the show was better without him. The changes tended to make more sense.

Jadzia 07-14-07 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

I loved the first season but I thought Season Two was pretty bad. It became quite a chore to watch. I was sort of happy that it was cancelled since the quality had gone down so much since the first season.

Arthur Dent 07-14-07 02:35 PM

It's a shame that Mandy is gone from Criminal Minds, as his services would now possibly be available, and yet we still won't see him in the movie. :(

Barry Woodward 07-15-07 09:30 PM

I'd rather see Daisy written out of the movie, leaving open the option for Laura Harris to return if the series comes back, than recast. It was probably too late in production to rewrite the movie without the character. Hopefully, the writer(s) can throw in a mystical explaination for the change in her appearance.

gatoinfeliz 07-15-07 11:39 PM

I doubt Cynthia Stevenson would be in the movie much less a new season seeing as she is a full cast member of Men In Trees now. The new season (if there is one) would have to basically dump George's family altogether.

nateman 07-16-07 08:36 AM

gatoinfeliz
I doubt Cynthia Stevenson would be in the movie much less a new season seeing as she is a full cast member of Men In Trees now. The new season (if there is one) would have to basically dump George's family altogether.
Depends how big of a part she will have this coming season on Men In Trees & when these 2 shows are being shot. Remember Men In Trees didn't air all of it's season 1 episodes yet so they might not be starting filming t'll later in the year.
Maybe they can still get her too do the "Dead Like Me" movie but it wouldn't mean that much too me because she was probally the least intresting part of the show in my opinion.

Flave 07-16-07 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by awil1026
It's a shame that Mandy is gone from Criminal Minds...:(

I didn't know that. Why did he leave?

[EDIT] Never mind -- just noticed the other thread...

Groucho 07-16-07 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz

Fine with me, as I never cared about that part of the series.

sjrab16 07-16-07 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho

Maybe they can have George's sister die and she can be a pet reaper...and then they could just drop the mother/father angle of the show.

Baron Of Hell 09-03-07 01:22 PM

I've been watching this on this labor day weekend.. Its a great show. Far better than I thought it would.

PacMan2006 09-03-07 01:57 PM

I actually thought the mother was arguably the most interesting character.

Tracer Bullet 09-03-07 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho

That was kind of the whole point of the show, and it was arguably the most interesting part.

critterdvd 09-03-07 07:37 PM

Is this reunion thingy still happening? Havn't heard anything one way or another...

ChefWinduAZ 09-04-07 01:42 AM

According to Wikipedia, Sarah Wynter (24) has signed on to take over the role of Daisy.

fuzzbox 09-04-07 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
According to Wikipedia, Sarah Wynter (24) has signed on to take over the role of Daisy.

Irony, isn't Laura Harris not returning because of her role in 24?

-jason

(Full disclosure- I've never watched 24, and only knew through IMDB that LH was on it- may have been a bit part.)

sb5 09-04-07 11:46 AM

No, that was awhile ago: Laura Harris and Sarah Wynter were both a large part of Season 2 of 24 (as sisters, oddly enough), but didn't appear as a large part in any later season.

Laura couldn't come back because she's a cast member on a show coming out this fall called "Women's Murder Club" (no, really, that's the show's name).

critterdvd 09-04-07 11:47 AM

I've just been doing a bit of research and discovered that not only is the movie still happening, but its already been filmed. According to Ellen Muth's Myspace the movie was filmed this past summer and is set for a DVD release before next summer.