DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Monk and Psych - What happened? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506364-monk-psych-what-happened.html)

Orbi-Wan Techno 07-13-07 11:08 PM

Monk and Psych - What happened?

We (my wife and I) felt the premieres of Monk and Psych tonight were pretty disappointing. We actually turned Monk off about halfway through, and didn't even bother to watch the coda for Psych, and we are big fans of both shows.

Sarah Silverman was so over the top annoying that it was uncomfortable.

On Psych, the whole faux Paula Abdul bashing thing got old fast. The funniest part was the guys plastered against the wall while the old fellow drove by on his cart, and that was in the commercials.

I hope next week is an improvement for both shows.

Charlie Goose 07-13-07 11:26 PM

Yeah bra, very disappointed with both shows tonight. Sarah Silverman was painfully obnoxious and an American Idol theme would've been timely about 4 years ago.

What didn't help is the fact that I've seen commercials for both shows during every commercial break on USA for the past several weeks. I was sick of the two of them before they even started.

Seantn 07-14-07 05:34 AM

Sarah Silverman will be in a few eps this season, I believe

nateman 07-14-07 08:04 AM

Seantn
Sarah Silverman will be in a few eps this season, I believe
:hairpull: :hairpull: :grumble: :grumble:

Orbi-Wan Techno 07-14-07 10:20 AM

That, unfortunately, means that Monk is no longer "must see", but "only if there's nothing else." Or read a book.

darkside 07-14-07 10:45 AM

I enjoyed them both, but I felt Monk was running out of gas last season. I thought Psych was great. I thought Gina played the role very well.

DRG 07-14-07 11:04 AM

Huh, I thought Monk was a step up from the last few episodes of last season. I thought the stuff with the episode titles was hilarious... "Where are you getting these titles?" and "fan fiction" had me rolling. And while the Idol lampoon was easy and obvious, I like that Gus is more of a co-conspirator in the antics here and not a spoilsport 'voice of reason' like most of last season.

wmansir 07-14-07 03:14 PM

I watched Psych and it was a mixed bag. I've never watched AI but I still found the setup and guest stars entertaining. Gus and Spencer were pretty good and I like that they are just shamelessly exploiting the hotness of Maggie Lawson but still giving her some good lines. :up: I'm also not a big fan of the flashback and father sequences, so I don't mind that they seemed reduced in this episode.

However, the direction/editing just seemed off. Maybe it was my setup or something but the show seemed darker, and there were a lot of awkward shots. During several conversations there were odd closeups, reaction shots, and cuts that just didn't flow.The 'mystery' itself wasn't engaging at all, and the use of Spencer's ability was rather weak too.

johnnysd 07-14-07 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by N2DVD
We (my wife and I) felt the premieres of Monk and Psych tonight were pretty disappointing. We actually turned Monk off about halfway through, and didn't even bother to watch the coda for Psych, and we are big fans of both shows.

Sarah Silverman was so over the top annoying that it was uncomfortable.

On Psych, the whole faux Paula Abdul bashing thing got old fast. The funniest part was the guys plastered against the wall while the old fellow drove by on his cart, and that was in the commercials.

I hope next week is an improvement for both shows.

I liked both episodes. Neither show has even been a "great" show, but always a fun diversion and I found that with these two episodes. I actually really enjoyed the names of his cases by psycho chick.

das Monkey 07-14-07 05:54 PM

<i>Monk</i> hasn't been "must see" in years, but I thought <i>Psych</i> was great last night. I like how it's abandoned all pretense of concept and is just all-out silly now.

"Nigel St. Nigel called us, 'a curious cocktail of inbreeding and type-2 diabetes'."

das

Rogue588 07-14-07 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
"Nigel St. Nigel called us, 'a curious cocktail of inbreeding and type-2 diabetes'."

That line had me rotfl. And since i'm a Prince fan (like someone on the show must be)

Lassiter: We found prints!
Shawn: Was he..in a Little Red Corvette?
Gus: Under the Cherry Moon?
I haven't been able to watch Monk since Sharona left.

HE Pennypacker 07-14-07 08:07 PM

I really enjoyed Monk. I thought it was better than many episodes last season. I do not watch Psych.

Gizmo 07-14-07 08:57 PM

Enjoyed both. Sarah Silverman is so damn hot.

movieking 07-14-07 09:30 PM

Haven't had a chance to watch Psych yet, but loved Monk. I thought that it was a great episode. Loved the Natalie troll.

invisiblegt 07-14-07 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Enjoyed both. Sarah Silverman is so damn hot.

This is something I just do not understand. She is mildly attractive until she opens her mouth, and nothing but scatological humor and stupidity pour forth.

darkside 07-14-07 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
This is something I just do not understand. She is mildly attractive until she opens her mouth, and nothing but scatological humor and stupidity pour forth.

That is the erotic part for me.

Ravenous 07-14-07 10:51 PM

I have these recorded but I know theyll be sleep inducing (infact I wish I could watch them now, Im tired but have only slept very little in the last 36 hours). Im dreading watching new seasons of these shows but with Monk Im too far invested.

And do you really think next week will be better? You do know Snoop Doggy Dogg will come out right?

Do yourself a favor. Watch burn notice.

filmmusicfan 07-14-07 11:57 PM

That, unfortunately, means that Monk is no longer "must see", but "only if there's nothing else." Or read a book.

Well I havent seen MONK regularly since the new girl partner got her new hair-do/makeover (she did something to herself...like we werent supposed to notice, right ?).

This is why shows pull the plug at a certain point...it'd all in the timing and you have to know when to end it !

Hopefully Tony will realize this and just fade away.

As for Sara Silverman...you either like her brand of socalled humor or not.
She is more for the HBO longform comedy show venue...I don't see her making it in the mainstream over cable prime time presentation of any kind.
She is so OLD SCHOOL in terms of her use of profanity it's kind of pitiful! If you saw the MTV hosting she did, I didn't see anything prolific coming out of her. She should take some comedy lessons from Jimmy Kimmel and humble herself a little.

Chew 07-16-07 06:20 AM

"Beefcake......beefcake" :lol:

movieking 07-16-07 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
"Beefcake......beefcake" :lol:

Monk quoting Cartman is enough to rate is as a great episode.

Got a chance to watch Psych, and while I enjoyed it, I preferred Monk.

Burn Notice was better than both.

Doc MacGyver 07-16-07 09:44 AM

We actually turned Monk off about halfway through, and didn't even bother to watch the coda for Psych, and we are big fans of both shows.

Good christ, did you miss out. I laughed my ass off, watched that part of the episode three times and I've been watching the youtube clip all weekend. Calling back the Tears for Fears/Michael Jackson thing from the begining and setting the whole thing to a damn catchy cover of "Shout"? That's guaranteed replay value for yours truly.

-Doc

Rex Fenestrarum 07-16-07 11:04 AM

I thought Psych had some great lines though... like:

Guy does something to irritate Nigel St. Nigel
Nigel St. Nigel: Get away from me, you daft punk!

:)

MrE 07-16-07 11:16 AM

Also Liked both shows. The Silverman character is great and it's humorous to watch get seduced by her. She's also truly annoying -- hey but so is Monk ... that's part of the funny.

My only complaint with Psych is that no one wants to be straight man anymore, all the actors seem to want a punchline. Even so (as noted above) some great moments.

Bonus points for decent (more precisely non-obvious) murder mysteries on both shows.

Doc MacGyver 07-16-07 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MrE
My only complaint with Psych is that no one wants to be straight man anymore, all the actors seem to want a punchline. Even so (as noted above) some great moments.

I'm digging the more zaney Gus. The Prince "look" he gave when he said, "under the cherry moon?" was genius.

-Doc

d2cheer 07-16-07 12:10 PM

Psych was way off its game, part of the fun of the show is seeing Sean using his talent and how people react around him. He used it only a couple of times and it seemed forced at that. It was a lazy episode to me.