DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The 4400 thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/506197-4400-thread.html)

smokedragon 07-11-04 11:59 PM

I liked it. Very interesting show. Hopefully the next 4 episodes will be as good.

Did anyone else feel sorry for Lily? I thought her hubby was a complete dick.

Deleted spoiler tags around non-spoiler. - Static

Kal-El 07-12-04 12:59 AM

That was interesting. I'll check it out 'til the end.

Static Cling 07-12-04 01:06 AM

Does every Homeland Security agent get a gun? I thought the female agent was supposed to be more of a scientist-type, while the male agent was supposed to be the street-wise-cop-type.

I thought the little girl who could predict the future felt a little forced... it felt like she was purposefully acting "creepy."

Astro 07-12-04 01:08 AM

Pretty good.

The only part that annoyed me was when China and the US fired their nukes at the "comet." Everyone watches the missiles launch and eventually hit it.

And then the next shot shows the comet flying past the moon.

abintra 07-12-04 01:21 AM

I thought this was going to be much better but I didn't care for it at all. I didn't find one thing about this worthwhile and probably should have given up after the first 15 minutes but I rarely if ever stop watching something after I decide to.

Patman 07-12-04 01:22 AM

Yeah, a quarter of a million miles, those missiles would have had to travel...

lisadoris 07-12-04 07:04 AM

The missiles were a bit much but more implausible things have flashed across my TV screen in recent months so I let it go. Lily's husband was a complete ass and I hope she sues the pants off him. Overall it was okay so I'll keep with it.

Groucho 07-12-04 07:36 AM

This gets an award for the most derivative show I've ever seen. I don't think there was one original moment. Still, it wasn't terrible but I hope they are going somewhere with all this.

Red Dog 07-12-04 07:45 AM

I thought it was decent.

Yes - count me in as another who thought Lily's hubby was a total douchebag. Grow a sac and tell your daughter, who is plenty old enough to understand, that her stepmother is not her real mother. He couldn't even pick her up? What a loser.

Groucho 07-12-04 07:49 AM

I was sure Red Dog was going to comment on the scene where the guy tries to light up in the restaurant. ;)

Static Cling 07-12-04 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
This gets an award for the most derivative show I've ever seen.
You must have missed 10.5, then. :)

Tandem 07-12-04 08:05 AM

Did anyone else get a Rosemary's baby kind of vibe from Lily? It would be cool to have her travel to another part of the country and watch the green dots on the computer screen show the other 4400 slowly migrating to her location.

das Monkey 07-12-04 08:26 AM

• Astro •

The only part that annoyed me was when China and the US fired their nukes at the "comet." Everyone watches the missiles launch and eventually hit it.

And then the next shot shows the comet flying past the moon.

The whole beginning sequence was just terrible. It certainly did feel like <b>10.5</b> for a while there, especially the lameness of the missile scene.

"If that thing hits, how bad will it be?"
"You don't want to know ... ... [camera zoom] ... you don't want to know."

Other than that, I guess it was a decent intro. I wonder if all the hype did it a disservice, since it certainly hasn't lived up to it yet. Still, I'm moderately intrigued, so I guess I'll keep watching. I didn't read much about this in advance, so I was surprised to see Ira Stephen Behr, Rene Echevarria, and Robert Hewitt Wolfe in charge of this thing. Pretty much a who's who of <i>Deep Space Nine</i>.

das

Red Dog 07-12-04 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I was sure Red Dog was going to comment on the scene where the guy tries to light up in the restaurant. ;)

Yeah - I felt for the poor guy. He must have thought - wow - what a long way we have come - blacks and whites dating out in public, and then what is this 'no smoking' nonsense?! Well, I guess with every step forward we take one step back. ;)

das Monkey 07-12-04 08:42 AM

• Red Dog •

Well, I guess with every step forward we take one step back. ;)

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/base6.jpg

BlackCapTen 07-12-04 10:11 AM

I guess I wasn't the only one thinking about 10.5 when watching this.

It wasn't bad, although I felt the first 30 minutes was rushed.

Also, I don't think the 2 homeland security officials have the best lines. The acting just seems awkward between the 2.

Patman 07-12-04 10:14 AM

I did laugh when Baldwin still forgot to unlock the car door for Scouris.

das Monkey 07-12-04 11:05 AM

• Patman •

I did laugh when Baldwin still forgot to unlock the car door for Scouris.

"I'll drive."
"Why?"
"So you can brood."

das

Josh H 07-12-04 11:40 AM

I didn't like it much. Some of the plot lines were ok (the telekinetic, predictive girl), but others were lame (teeny bopper high school drama, lame husband).

I'll probably give it one more chance next week though.

mgbfan 07-12-04 11:51 AM

Better than 10.5, that's for sure. Though 10.5 was kind of so bad that it was good in a warped and twisted way - the accident you can't look away from.

This was most certianly better. Very lame in spots - the missile thing bugged me too, but ... what do you expect from a made-for-USA miniseries? You pretty much go into the experience knowing you'll have to grit your teeth and overlook some serious flaws.

Groucho 07-12-04 11:55 AM

Originally posted by mgbfan
what do you expect from a made-for-USA miniseries? You pretty much go into the experience knowing you'll have to grit your teeth and overlook some serious flaws.
That was pretty much my wife's approach to our wedding night.

Shannon Nutt 07-12-04 11:57 AM

I thought this was pretty good for a first episode. I noticed the series was created by Rene Echevarria and Ira Steven Behr who are Star Trek alumni, so I have high hopes for what the show might develop into.

I'm guessing if this eventually goes to series, we'll spend each week seeing a different one of the 4400...with that many people to choose from, the show could be quite interesting.

The psychic abilty stuff seemed a little too "Stephen King" to me, but I did enjoy the bits about the returnees trying to adapt back into society.

lucasorion 07-12-04 12:39 PM

I was pretty creeped out looking at the kid from "The Commish" as the brother of the healer guy. Why do so many tv kids look disturbing when they grow up?

I think I could probably enjoy myself more by reading or browsing the web, but somehow I suspect I'll check out next week's episode and see if something pulls me into watching the rest.

Groucho 07-12-04 12:41 PM

Originally posted by lucasorion
I was pretty creeped out looking at the kid from "The Commish" as the brother of the healer guy. Why do so many tv kids look disturbing when they grow up?
If you think he's creepy on "The 4400" you should've seen him on "Boston Public." :eek:

latenight 07-12-04 02:42 PM

The missile f/up and the typical high school bully scene wasn't the best. However overall I enjoyed it and willtune in again next week.