Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Singing Bee vs Don't Forget The Lyrics

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which Show Did You Prefer?
The Singing Bee (Joey Fatone NBC)
22.22%
Don't Forget The Lyrics (Wayne Brady FOX)
34.92%
Neither/Didn't Watch/etc
42.86%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So both of these carbon copy shows debuted last night. Not only are the shows similar, but both shows even used a couple of the same songs (Walk Like An Egyptian, Joy To The World).

Wayne Brady hosts Don't Forget the Lyrics, which is basically a music version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, only with a lesser grand prize. They even have the three options for help, albeit with a bit of a different spin.

Joey Fatone hosts The Singing Bee, and it is a single elimination show. They pick six people from the audience, then depending on if you know the words of not, they finally end up with one person. If that person can get the missing lyrics of 5 of 7 songs at the end, they get $50K.

I watched them both this morning in a span of about 20 minutes combined. I liked Don't Forget The Lyrics a lot more than Singing Bee. I can't help but think that all of these "contestants" are just wannabe actors looking for some face time. There is no way the chick from Don't Forget The Lyrics is a singer, since she was just awful.

Anyway, from the very few of you that did watch it, what show did you prefer?
Old 07-12-07, 07:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the contestant on the Wayne Brady show sounded like Cameron Diaz doing Karaoke in 'My Best Friends wedding'. AND to top it off she was on for the entire half hour!
Old 07-12-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I only saw DFTL and I liked it. I found myself singing along a bit and I think Wayne Brady can be a good host. Not sure if I will watch it every week however.
Old 07-12-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked The Singing Bee better because they got down to business faster, didn't waste so much time with in between chit-chat... there were a lot more songs on it too...I hate this dragging shit out format that has been adopted by so many game shows (millionaire, deal, 5th grader).
Old 07-12-07, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I liked The Singing Bee better because they got down to business faster, didn't waste so much time with in between chit-chat... there were a lot more songs on it too...I hate this dragging shit out format that has been adopted by so many game shows (millionaire, deal, 5th grader).
The Singing Bee is a lot of faster then DFTL, but the Wayne Brady show will pick up a little bit. Last night they had to go in detail about all of the rules. I like how they get the Singing Bee contestants better. Sort of split on which show is better, will probably watch both on tivo that way I can fast forward a little bit.
Old 07-12-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Wayne Brady hosts Don't Forget the Lyrics, which is basically a music version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, only with a lesser grand prize.
How could it be lesser when the grand prize is a million dollars? Anyways, I prefer it Singing Bee. I can't stand Joey Fatone.
Old 07-12-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
How could it be lesser when the grand prize is a million dollars? Anyways, I prefer it Singing Bee. I can't stand Joey Fatone.
I forgot that it was a million. You are correct.
Old 07-12-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had to mute DFTL, that girl's voice was just awful. But I enjoyed playing along. I wonder if each category has two songs for each dollar level?
Old 07-12-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot these were on.
Old 07-12-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forgot to catch Don't Forget The Lyrics but I did see The Singing Bee so I'll have to remember next week to DVR both of them
Old 07-12-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
But, Joey Fatone HOSTS Singing Bee. I don't get it...

I prefer DFTL. The format is better, plus Wayne Brady owns Fatone as a game show host. Especially a music-oriented one.
Old 07-12-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Singing Bee was so much faster and much more fun. They went through quite a lot of songs.

Whereas on Don't Forget the Lyrics they had the contestant sing practically the entire song before they got to the question. Who wants to listen to bad karaoke for that long before they get to the question? Then after singing an excruciating 2 minutes or so, they finally fill in the missing four words and then Wayne Brady had to ask them a million times "Are you sure that's your answer?" then when say yes "Do you want to lock that in?" and then "We'll find out if you were right...after the break!"

God it was so infuriating, I wante dot throw something at my TV. Just get to damn missing lyrics already. The 30 minute show seemed like an hour and they only had one contestant who didn't even finish her game.

The Singing Bee moved so fast and seemed much harder since they penalized you for not getting lyrics absolutely perfect. The 30 minutes flew by and they actually had a winner at the end after seeing multiple contestants & way more songs.
Old 07-12-07, 06:41 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
hmm, my friend just emailed me to let me know that DFTL is his brother's first big show.. He's an exec producer on it.
Old 07-12-07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Who wants to listen to bad karaoke for that long before they get to the question? Then after singing an excruciating 2 minutes or so, they finally fill in the missing four words and then Wayne Brady had to ask them a million times "Are you sure that's your answer?" then when say yes "Do you want to lock that in?" and then "We'll find out if you were right...after the break!"
I agree 100%
Old 07-12-07, 08:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
That girl on DFTL *had* to have been a planted actress...
Old 07-12-07, 11:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing, TallGuyMe. Definitely an actress or someone who was extensively coached prior to her appearance.
Old 07-13-07, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely an actress. I would think that being in front of an audience and a television crew would not lead to most regular people off the street to sing and even dance with the reckless abandon that she did.

The hardest part of these shows are those little throwaway connector lyrics, usually at the end of one line and just before another one. With DFTL, they help you out since they tell you exactly how many words you are missing.
Old 07-13-07, 06:28 AM

Didn't watch DFTL, but thought that SB has potenial. I would almost prefer the show last an hour, as I didn't really get a feel for the contestants.
Old 07-13-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think one of the bands singers on Spelling Bee was a contestant on Rock Star. I forget her name.

EDIT: It is Deanna Johnston from Rock Star: INXS

http://www.deannajohnston.net/news.html

Last edited by BDLOU; 07-13-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also voted for Singing Bee because it's a much faster paced game and more contestants get a chance to win. I thought this would be easy, but I never realized how easy it is to add a word or leave out a word when singing songs you think you know.

DFTL was painfully slow after watching Singing Bee. That girl was definitely an actress.
Old 07-14-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
But, Joey Fatone HOSTS Singing Bee. I don't get it...

I prefer DFTL. The format is better, plus Wayne Brady owns Fatone as a game show host. Especially a music-oriented one.
I meant I prefer DFTL to Singing Bee.
Old 07-14-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I watched the "Bug Doctor"....yeah right..... on Don't Forget the lyrics and she was excruciating to listen to for 30 minutes. I really don't know if I could watch this show every week and listen to bad Karaoke.
Old 08-07-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm enjoying Singing Bee even with Fatone because they get right to it and no one contestant gets to hog the spotlight too much.
Old 08-07-07, 05:23 PM

I like Don't Forget the Lyrics better. Singing Bee is too easy and top prize only $50,000. The only good thing about SB is that the music keeps going. The only bad thing about DFTL is that the music stops when the words your supposed remember comes up.
Old 08-07-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
I wonder if each category has two songs for each dollar level?
I was thinking about this too. More likely, they probably adjust the difficulty level depending on when the contestant chooses the category. First chosen, they go for an easier portion of the song. As the prize increases they go for the more difficult lyrics.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.