Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 14" (7/11-12/07)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did not see a new thread yet.

My rankings of tonights performances:

1. Sara/Pasha – some super-impressive and super-hard moves in the routine with great performances by both
2. Lauren/Neil – Wade ups the ante again with these 2 providing the best they have done to date
3. Lacey/Kameron – an excellent routine, but like the judges said, Kameron is a bit stiff
4. Sabra/Dominic - continued amazing chemistry
5. Anya/Danny – OK, really did nothing for me, but maybe that it is just the style again. I also think there is definitely a ton of arrogance with Danny that puts people off.
6. Jaimie/Hok – moment where it was nice, but Hok’s flaws as a dancer are becoming very evident
7. Shauna/Cedric – better then he usually is, but please send Cedric home
Old 07-11-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm glad the guest judge addressed Danny's arrogance. Nigel said something about it during the auditions but tonight acted like he didn't agree with it. People just aren't going to vote for him so unless the judges are going to put him through on his solo every week I don't see him making it to the end.
Old 07-12-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew Cedric is a goner when he's in the bottom 3 groups. Suprised they let Shauna go. I was hoping for Jamie.
Old 07-12-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cedric deserved to go but I don't think Shauna should have gone. They gave Anya a pass on a terrible solo for the second week in a row. Heidi somehow managed to do good solos in a similar style last season. Like I said last night the judges are not going to be able to continue holding Danny up with his solos.
Old 07-12-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like I picked the bottom three.

You knew it would be time for Cedric to go. The women's side was a lot tougher. I do like Shauna, but her parters were never the best which definately hurt her.

I think Hok will be gone next week unless he can stay out of the bottom 3.
Old 07-12-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am glad Cedric is gone. That whole Cedric drama was so confusing. He wasn't that amazing so why did we have to suffer through him week after week. Now, if only Danny could go next (Mary won't let him), I would be happy. He's a great dancer but damned if I don't want to just slap him the whole time. It takes away from the artistry.

I was sad to see Shauna go. She was a Cedric victim and I thought she was better overall than Anya. Oh well. The judges can only prop up their favorites for so long on this show before the ax falls.

I will miss crazy Hairspray judge. He was fun to have to have around.
Old 07-13-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is clear to me that the judges are manipulating their top 10 as best they can. It is obvious they want Anya and Pasha in the top to represent the ballroom genre, and got rid of Shauna because she is the same type of dancer as Jamie. They have been miserably inconsistent with their reasoning and their judging. The boys, Danny and Ricky, dance full out and get sent home. The girls, Jamie and Sabra dance full out and are said to be dancing for thier lives. Sometimes they say it is for their solo,and sometiimes it is said for their full body of work.
Old 07-13-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
It is clear to me that the judges are manipulating their top 10 as best they can. It is obvious they want Anya and Pasha in the top to represent the ballroom genre, and got rid of Shauna because she is the same type of dancer as Jamie. They have been miserably inconsistent with their reasoning and their judging. The boys, Danny and Ricky, dance full out and get sent home. The girls, Jamie and Sabra dance full out and are said to be dancing for thier lives. Sometimes they say it is for their solo,and sometiimes it is said for their full body of work.

Yeah, that was my problem with last night as well. The judges call it "dancing for your life" but last night seemingly because of Anya's sub par routine they said they were judging by body of work. She's a great partner dancer but at the end of the day this is a solo competition and there is no way she's going to win with that solo.
Old 07-13-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onebyone
I am glad Cedric is gone. That whole Cedric drama was so confusing. He wasn't that amazing so why did we have to suffer through him week after week.
I never got all the praise for Cedric's style. He always looked like he was making fun of someone with cerebral palsy when he danced.

Anya's solo was terrible, like a bad stripper routine. I wish they had axed her instead of Shauna.
Old 07-13-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I think if the dancers are about equal in the judge's eye, the dance-for-your-life part of it is the deciding factor. Otherwise, of course it's a way for them to keep their favorites. Hok is a goner in the next few weeks as long as he's in the bottom 3, even though he's sure to have a good solo dance.

I do think these guys have to go back and watch the past seasons to learn how to cram more stuff into their limited solo time. Two weeks ago, Lauren's was just terrible because she wasted so much time, and it seemed like most of the dancers took a while to warm up this week as well (the audience also stopped counting down with the counter for some reason this week). Of course the break dancers and those with a more frenetic style will cram more stuff in, but geez put something in there, you know?

I also have no idea why they really, really backed off from the "Danny is arrogant" stance.
Old 07-13-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I also have no idea why they really, really backed off from the "Danny is arrogant" stance.
Because they need to keep him around. He's arguably the top dancer--mnale or female--this season and one of the best they have ever had on the show. When he's gone, the show is no better than American Idol which awards its contestants as much for their personalities and looks as their singing "ability." Danny adds a ton of legitamacy to the contest. (Which is why is was a huge boon to have Benji on last year's show. He was both a fabulous dancer and showman.)
Old 07-13-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
What does the winner get?

Edit: A'right. Just looked it up myself - it's $250,000. Not bad.

Last edited by Ranger; 07-13-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the male side Danny is clearly the best dancer technique wise but he has no pesonality. The judge was right he is also very arrogant and consceded. I think the voters will continue to put him in the bottom 3
Old 07-14-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I just watched it again. Danny didn't seem arrogant, he seemed to just be playing his part in the dance. While Anya/Danny's dance wasn't the best, I still liked it - the One Republic song just goes so well with it.

Sara and Pasha seemed to have the best dance. I'm still impressed with the double cartwheel/handstand or whatever it was they did.

Sabra and Dominic's dance was pretty good too.

Overall, I think they're all great dancers. I think this show's format/style and dancers are FAR better than those of Dancing With the Stars. Pity that SYTYCD isn't getting more viewers.
Old 07-14-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Am I the only one who has been totally underwhelmed by Danny's solo performances? I'm not saying he's not a good dancer, but his solos are boring. And he does dance like he thinks he is the greatest dancer EVER. I don't know, I found Travis to be a better dancer last season. The one thing Danny has going for him is that he looks like a dancer. He has that long, statuesque body.

Anya got very, very lucky. She should've gone. I actually thought that Shauna has shown quite a lot of improvement. They were certainly raving about her during the performance show. What improvement has Anya made? She just did another poor solo performance.

The judges' decisions this season have consistently baffled me. Even when I didn't agree with some of the choices last year, I could see the logic. This time, it's just not there. It's almost as if they are trying to be shocking -- but at the detriment to the show.