Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Love : "Rock and a Hard Place" 7/2/07

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
This is the frist Big Love thread I've participated in (have been a loyal viewer since day one), so I don't know if this was brought up before, but has anyone else noticed that no one EVER says "goodbye" at the end of a phone call on this show? Out of the dozens and dozens I've seen, I only noticed ONE goodbye. I'm thinking of making a YouTube video compilation, it's so rampant.
That is weird if you're not used to it...all my family and friends always say 'bye', but I have a few business acquaintances that will just hang up when they or I would normally say 'bye.' It's pretty funny, I'll say 'bye' to nobody usually, wondering WTF just happened, often hoping I didn't piss them off.
Old 07-05-07, 05:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've noticed that mother always hangs up mid-conversation. Haven't noticed with the other characters. But then again, film and tv characters rarely say good-bye on the phone anyway.
Old 07-05-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Yeah I think it's because almost all the phone calls on this show are emergencies, threats, or some form of shady behavior.
Old 07-05-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I've noticed that mother always hangs up mid-conversation. Haven't noticed with the other characters. But then again, film and tv characters rarely say good-bye on the phone anyway.
It happens with EVERY single person. It's amazing. I know, because I watch it with my girlfriend and every time someone gets a call I say out loud, "say goodbye...say goodbye...say goodbye...(one party hangs up)...DAMN IT!"
Old 07-05-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I think it's because almost all the phone calls on this show are emergencies, threats, or some form of shady behavior.
That IS true.
Old 07-06-07, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Did Nicky's mom do that for Bill so Nicky won't be without a husband - it kinda doesn't make too much sense.
I think she did it because she's well aware of where this could lead for Roman and the whole compound, if she doesn't stop this (now, I speak of this as if it were real, but that's the ultimate goal of a great show....draw in your viewers )

This episode, along with the entire season so far has been great. I'm enjoying every minute of this show.

Margene seems to get much younger mentally every week, but I like her character.

I wonder where they're taking the Albie character....?
Old 07-06-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It happens with EVERY single person. It's amazing. I know, because I watch it with my girlfriend and every time someone gets a call I say out loud, "say goodbye...say goodbye...say goodbye...(one party hangs up)...DAMN IT!"
Yeah, it's not like this is the first show to do it constantly, but there have been a lot of phone calls in the first three episodes and I've been beginning to say the same thing.
Old 07-06-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aktick
There are people that DO like being talked down to?

Rhonda's a little thieving bitch, too. I'd steal that sweet Hard Rock coat too!
Good point. What i guess i meant was that i can be talked down to at work and though it pisses me off, i'm not going to plot on how i can totally screw the person that did it to me. Some characters on BL seem very petty and are the wrong people to piss off.
Old 07-06-07, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnnysd
OK, crazy thought: Could Adaleen actually be Rhonda's mother? Remember they said it would be hard to find the mother but found her right away, and then she shows up at the runaway house. Might explain some of her actions.
That would make Rhonda Roman's daughter. And Nicki's sister. I don't think HBO would have that storyline if it were incest. I also doubt Adaleen and Nicki would let their husband/father do the deed with their daughter/sister, creating a grandfather-father, grandmother-sister-wife, and an aunt-sister in the process.

But I guess it's possible. They didn't actually do the deed, so revealing something like that would be a pretty big plot twist.
Old 07-07-07, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dignam
That would make Rhonda Roman's daughter. And Nicki's sister. I don't think HBO would have that storyline if it were incest.
Why not? Plus, in Season 1 there were some "interesting" scenes with Nicki and Roman. I'm not saying they were doing anything but it's even been mentioned in this thread.

I also doubt Adaleen and Nicki would let their husband/father do the deed with their daughter/sister, creating a grandfather-father, grandmother-sister-wife, and an aunt-sister in the process. But I guess it's possible. They didn't actually do the deed, so revealing something like that would be a pretty big plot twist.

Did you see the scene with Adaleen telling her Family Tree last week? Like you said, anything is possible.
Old 07-07-07, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sparrow

Margene seems to get much younger mentally every week,

Huh?
Old 07-07-07, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Huh?
I thought she was stepping up and taking charge for a change and actually growing up.
Old 07-07-07, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Did you see the scene with Adaleen telling her Family Tree last week? Like you said, anything is possible.
I didn't really pay attention to it, I usually wait until Margene is on screen. I'm getting tired of waiting for it, though..

HBO.com says that Roman has one hundred eighty-seven grandchildren. I didn't think the compound was that big, so I guess there's bound to be some extra ears or toes on someone..
Old 07-08-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I thought she was stepping up and taking charge for a change and actually growing up.
You're right, I rewatched some of the first season episodes and I'm fairly certain that I spent most of that season in awe of how good Barb's character was and how much Nicki's character ticked me off.

She must be 21 and by the looks that Bill had in the upcoming episode, she may no longer be the youngest wife .
Old 07-08-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Dignam
That would make Rhonda Roman's daughter. And Nicki's sister. I don't think HBO would have that storyline if it were incest. I also doubt Adaleen and Nicki would let their husband/father do the deed with their daughter/sister, creating a grandfather-father, grandmother-sister-wife, and an aunt-sister in the process.

But I guess it's possible. They didn't actually do the deed, so revealing something like that would be a pretty big plot twist.
No I don't think it is Roman's child, just Adaleens. So no incest, but still creepy. It was a crazy thought, and I don't really see how it could have happened, but there are several things that sort of point to it. Of course those could also be explained as well by Rhonda being Nikki's child......
Old 07-08-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't we see Rhonda's mother in the Reunion episode. I thought the woman who talked to her about having to work fruit stands in New Mexico was her mom. Plus Barb says something about her mom living at a satelite compound in NM.
Old 07-08-07, 06:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes, we saw Rhonda's mother -- which makes all the supposition even more questionable.