John From Cincinnati - "His Visit: Day Three" - 7/01/07

Old 07-01-07, 02:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John From Cincinnati - "His Visit: Day Three" - 7/01/07

"His Visit: Day Three"
Spoiler:
John gets roughed up by some thugs; Kai connects with Butchie; Vietnam Joe brings Dr. Smith a new patient; Shaun's adult-film-star mother Tina arrives in Imperial Beach.
Old 07-01-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That doctor creeps me out...I can't get the image of Wolcott out of my head when I hear his voice.
Old 07-01-07, 12:51 PM

I am really pumped for this episode. I was kinda meh about the series after watching the first two episodes but I then rewatched with my wife and was surprised how much I missed the first time I watched them. That and the show grew on me. Episode 3 (which I watched twice as well) propelled the series along more.

I think people who wrote this series off early on should really give it another shot.
Old 07-01-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So any odds on the next Deadwood alum to make an appearance? I kinda think
Spoiler:
Shaun's mom will be Trixie or Joanie.
Old 07-01-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait
Old 07-01-07, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
So any odds on the next Deadwood alum to make an appearance? I kinda think
Spoiler:
Shaun's mom will be Trixie or Joanie.
From what I have heard, that would be a damn good mother fucking guess
Old 07-01-07, 02:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shaun's mom
Old 07-01-07, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Looks like I was wrong. That said, I think we can still expect to see the other person this season.
Old 07-01-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about Al motherfucking Swearingen? He needs his own show...
Old 07-01-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really like this show so far and can't wait for tonight's episode.

"I don't know Butchie instead."
Old 07-01-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
What about Al motherfucking Swearingen? He needs his own show...
Agreed......that'd be awesome!!

-

As for JfC, it keeps hanging around, and getting more interesting. I still don't like John, but the rest of the show has been good.

-p
Old 07-01-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Stephen Tobolowsk, Hugo Jarry on Deadwood, was the latest alum to show up.

I'm really liking this series so far. It's difficult to look for symbolism though, because we don't have a solid lead or reference point to go off of, other than the name John Monad and the theory on his origin.

I'm hoping a lot more of this (the visions, the levitation, John's phrases) starts to become clear after the reference point is somewhat cleared up. I feel like a lot is being presented, but we just don't have enough information to appreciate it.

Also, maybe it was just me and my DVR, but there were several scenes that had TERRIBLE voice dubbing. Anyone else notice this?
Old 07-02-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd182
So Stephen Tobolowsk, Hugo Jarry on Deadwood, was the latest alum to show up.
lol, I noticed it was him before I saw him. He acted the exact same as on Deadwood. I'm at the point now where I just literally LOL when I see a Deadwood alum pop up.

Originally Posted by dvd182
Also, maybe it was just me and my DVR, but there were several scenes that had TERRIBLE voice dubbing. Anyone else notice this?
I noticed it at least once on DirecTV - I think it was Luke Perry in the hotel room.

Milch must like having a character that just talks to himself - or to non-humans. Swearingen talked to himself and the indian head, and now we have Bill talking to his bird.

I'm really loving this show more and more each week. And John still cracks me up.
Old 07-02-07, 01:51 AM

I do not know why but my wife and I love this show, it is one we have to watch every week. Not really sure if I am supposed to be laughing, but I end up laughing a lot during the episodes. Can't wait for next week.
Old 07-02-07, 07:32 AM

I'm loving this show more with every episode. This last one made me realize I'm now hooked. There's one thing that I can't get past, however. Perhaps it's been talked about on here before, but the way Shaun acts frustrates the hell out of me. I'm initially annoyed by what seems like horrible acting, but it stands out so much to me that I wonder if the way this kid delivers lines is intentional and we just haven't yet found out why. There is either a particular road he's traveling down which will be revealed later on, or Milch & co. wanted a top notch surfer to play this role with little to no inquiry as to the kid's acting ability.
Old 07-02-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PaperStreetSoapCo
I'm loving this show more with every episode. This last one made me realize I'm now hooked. There's one thing that I can't get past, however. Perhaps it's been talked about on here before, but the way Shaun acts frustrates the hell out of me. I'm initially annoyed by what seems like horrible acting, but it stands out so much to me that I wonder if the way this kid delivers lines is intentional and we just haven't yet found out why. There is either a particular road he's traveling down which will be revealed later on, or Milch & co. wanted a top notch surfer to play this role with little to no inquiry as to the kid's acting ability.
Agreed - he's just not a real good actor, he's new. He wasn't in this episode much at all, and it was better for it. Kai is pretty bad as well. But it's easy to look past.
Old 07-02-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, does John draw his power of healing from others? Does that sap some life force out of them? John being aware of conversations from the characters is just weird.
Old 07-02-07, 12:06 PM

Ha, ha. Luke Perry had to do the dishes. That was pretty funny. The grandmother made the evil manipulator do housework.

I still don't understand what Butchie's implants are. What did he have implanted into his head? Is it hair plugs? Is it a steel plate? Did they ever explain it.

And I agree the kid has a very "rough" acting style. He reminds me of Darrin Burroughs who played Ed Chigliack in Northern Exposure. That weird California dialect that sounds like they have too many teeth in their mouth, or something. Anyways...
Old 07-02-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
I still don't understand what Butchie's implants are. What did he have implanted into his head? Is it hair plugs? Is it a steel plate? Did they ever explain it.
I don't think it's hair plugs or a steel plate from an injury because when he was talking to the doctor in his parents backyard telling him about his implants getting hot he said something along the lines as where they were being a not normal place to put them and putting them there was kind of an "f you" to haters or something along those lines. No clue what they could be.

I love how Bill calls John "I've got my eye on you" when he's talking to himself / zippy
Old 07-02-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the implants are just hair plugs because Butchie wanted to keep his hair/image up.
Old 07-02-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
...where they were being a not normal place to put them and putting them there was kind of an "f you" to haters...
Back-hair plugs?

Last edited by adamblast; 07-02-07 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 07:27 PM

"Implants" mean that he has devil horns that screw in & out of his head, or some such. It's a Modern Primitive thing. I was going to get some on my arm, but got a brand instead.

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/body-implants/
Old 07-02-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
"Implants" mean that he has devil horns that screw in & out of his head, or some such. It's a Modern Primitive thing. I was going to get some on my arm, but got a brand instead.

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/body-implants/
Is that shit real?! Wow...what people won't do for attention...
Old 07-03-07, 01:04 AM

I really liked this episode, especially the burgeoning friendship between Bill and Freddy. I'd prefer more Deadwood, but this show is getting pretty good imo.
Old 07-03-07, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Heres why I really like this show: they don't hide the "miraculous" things that happen to each other in show. It's not like Lost: "oh yeah 6 weeks ago I levitated off the ground, but figured I would keep that to myself". I love that about this show. They ALL realize that they are involved in miraculous events, and that is really cool.

Also, I love how Butchie is cleaning right up rapidly (miraculously) being off junk. It is a terrific show. Or the most pretentious show ever. One of the two, but I am along for the ride.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.