DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ATAS Top 10 Drama Series for 2006/07 Emmy's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/505117-atas-top-10-drama-series-2006-07-emmys.html)

hardercore 06-30-07 05:44 PM

ATAS Top 10 Drama Series for 2006/07 Emmy's

These episodes will be ranked by the judges 1 though 10 and this ranking will be averaged 50/50 with 1 through 10 of the popular vote to determine the 5 nominees.

In alphabetical order, the Drama Series in consideration this year are:

24 ("Day 6: 6:00AM - 7:00AM")
Boston Legal ("Angel of Death")
Dexter ("Born Free")
Friday Night Lights ("Pilot")
Grey's Anatomy ("From A Whisper To A Scream")
Heroes ("Genesis")
House, M.D. ("Half-Wit")
LOST ("Through The Looking Glass, Parts I & II")
Rome ("De Patre Vostro")
The Sopranos ("Soprano Home Movies")

Nominations will be announced July 19. More as and when.

critterdvd 06-30-07 06:26 PM

Umm... where's "Brothers and Sisters"?

conscience 06-30-07 06:38 PM

and The Wire
and Deadwood
and The Shield
and Rescue Me

Really surprised Dexter made it even though it definitely deserves to

Grey's Anatomy? :chainsaw:

hardercore 06-30-07 06:39 PM

I'm wondering WTF Boston Legal, Rome and even 24 are doing on that list instead of some of the shows you guys mentioned above.

cdollaz 06-30-07 06:49 PM

No SVU?

Red Dog 06-30-07 06:51 PM

The whole premise of basing a nomination on 1 episode is beyond stupidity. Of course, the Emmys are guilty of this as well.

My nominations for Best Drama based on the Emmy calendar would be:

Friday Night Lights - winner
The Shield
Rescue Me (S3)
Deadwood
Rome

Michael Corvin 06-30-07 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore
I'm wondering WTF Boston Legal, Rome and even 24 are doing on that list instead of some of the shows you guys mentioned above.

well it is for only one episode and this one happens to be during the first four hours which, despite the rest of the season, was some of 24's best work.

clintilona 06-30-07 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
and The Wire
and Deadwood
and The Shield
and Rescue Me

Really surprised Dexter made it even though it definitely deserves to

Grey's Anatomy? :chainsaw:

I am in 100% agreement with everything you wrote. Especially with "The Wire" not being considered. And how in the hell did 24 make it on there? Day 6 was absolutely horrendous.

hardercore 06-30-07 08:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that while the judging panels view the one episode, the popular vote is based on the entire season. The pop. vote is effectively a "vote for your favourite" scenario without getting into any real scrutiny. Which is why I'm dumbfounded that 24 made it in. Even if the premiere was a good episode, the rest of the season was almost universally hated and yet it still pulled in a decent enough popular vote to make the Top 10.

RichC2 06-30-07 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore

I love me some Boston Legal. Plus that episode (I believe) was about a doctor doing mercy killings following Hurricane Katrina. Hot topics = popular vote getter.

The big mystery to me is how Grey's Anatomy and Heroes made the list.

Red Dog 06-30-07 09:28 PM

I've said it once and I'll say again - Boston Legal is more of a comedy than a drama.

RichC2 06-30-07 09:33 PM

I would generally agree.

hardercore 06-30-07 09:42 PM

Grey's and Heroes are such big hits that they probably made it in on the strength of their popular vote alone. I'm not sure how their episodes would hold up to a judging panel though. On the other hand, a show like LOST, while not as huge as it used to be, would still be around mid-list popularity wise and the finale is an episode that was critically hailed. You need to have a decent sized chunk of both pies to warrant a nomination.

And on an aside, the I agree with the catergory placements for some shows being a little hokey. Boston Legal could be either Drama or Comedy, same with Desperate Housewives.

nateman 07-01-07 08:22 AM

The whole premise of basing a nomination on 1 episode is beyond stupidity. Of course, the Emmys are guilty of this as well.
:up: Still Agree.

Out of those shows there's only one that I actually watch, Which is Lost.
There are tons of better drama's on TV then the ones on that list. Grey's Anatomy is a horrible wreck of a show in my opinion. Heroes is a poorly acted show & The Sopranos is one of the most overrated shows in Television history.

Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: CI (the Noth episodes)
Without a Trace
The Wire
LOST
The Shield
Las Vegas
Scrubs (If Desperate Housewives is nominated in the comedy section then I think Scrubs could be nominated for the drama section)
ER
CSI

I personally don't think Drama's are as strong as previous years. The only thing that comes close to shows like Homicide: Life on the Street & NYPD: Blue is The Wire & to a lesser extent The Shield.

I'd say Scrubs should win but I think It's one of the best show in Television history so...

Doughboy 07-01-07 11:41 AM

24 and Grey's Anatomy have no business being on that list.

Friday Nights Lights better get nominated! I'd be lying if I said I watch all the shows on that list, so I won't say it deserves to win. Although I can't imagine any lead actress gave a better performance last season than Connie Britton.

cdollaz 07-01-07 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241

I'd say Scrubs should win but I think It's one of the best show in Television history so...

Um, we know by now you take every opportunity for a Scrubs circle-jerk and shit on Seinfeld anytime you can, but at least leave it in the comedy thread. Damn.

nateman 07-01-07 02:48 PM

Um, we know by now you take every opportunity for a Scrubs circle-jerk and shit on Seinfeld anytime you can, but at least leave it in the comedy thread. Damn.
I think I have made a total of one post about Seinfeld & I didn't shit on it, I just said I don't care for the show.

WallyOPD 07-01-07 03:19 PM

I think I have made a total of one post about Seinfeld & I didn't shit on it, I just said I don't care for the show.

Are you kidding? A brief search of the site comes up with the following (spoilerized for length):

Spoiler:

2. CASABLANCA (1942) -The ultimate overrated film & I just don't understand why people hold this movie in such high regard, of course I don't understand why people think Seinfeld is the funniest comedy of all-time, Cause Scrubs way funnier.

sorry,
its funny a show like the wonder years isn't in syndication that much. the only show that seems to be in syndication all the time is that damn friends & seinfeld..which i can't even stand!

Now I'm not being rude or anything but do you happen to be a Seinfeld fan? Just askin' because I have noticed that alot of people that find Seinfeld there favorite show ever seem to hate Scrubs and find it as annoying as I find Seinfeld.

All in the family is a classic sitcom no doubt but I have alway had a problem with calling Seinfelf a classic.
I could never understand why people loved that show so much. It wasn't that funny but hey what do i know, I have always been a fan of the lesser/underrated shows when it comes to sitcoms.

I think the show should have been cancelled after the first episode. Overrated show Beyond belief. When people call Seinfeld the funniest, greatest show ever I wonder to myself if people have ever watched anything else besides it.
Sorry to go off-topic but good lord why do people find it the funniest show ever? Scrubs, The Larry Sanders show & newsradio-now those are the funniest most brilliant show on TV.

Seinfeld is the most overrated piece of garbage sitcom in history.

Admittedly that last one was in a thread soliciting unpopular opinions.

dvd182 07-01-07 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Are you kidding? A brief search of the site comes up with the following (spoilerized for length):

rotfl

hardercore 07-01-07 08:24 PM

I'm a LOST fanboy. And I don't care. Reading this over at an Emmy blog I follow was awesome:

"Yesterday (Saturday) the drama panel powwow lasted more than 10 frustrating hours. Judges chose not to break for lunch, but rather to eat while the viewing marathon continued, often painfully.

"I gave my number 1 vote to 'Lost,'" our source said. "It was by far and away the best thing in the room in my opinion, followed by 'Grey's Anatomy.' I didn't think I was going to be able to make it through 'Rome.' That show is absolutely stroke inducing. A minute more and I would have cracked.""

SexualPudding 07-01-07 10:22 PM

I love Friday Night Lights, but I thought the pilot was weak.

dvd182 07-01-07 10:36 PM

Lost was certainly excellent, as was most of the other stuff on the list, but I don't get all the hate for Rome. I thought it was absolutely amazing.

nateman 07-02-07 08:46 AM

WallyOPD
:foot: :( Alright I really put my foot in the mouth this time. I'll admit it, you got me good! :sad:

I guess I must now obey the Seinfeld fans :bow:

I hate: Seinfeld, Friends, Grey's Anatomy & American Idol & I'll try to stop bashing your oh so lovable shows :mad2:

To me only I guess I just don't find the show incredibly funny or intresting, I'll leave it at that & try not to anger Seinfeld lovers (The whole world besides me & 3 other people).
I'll stick with my Scrubs & The Larry Sanders Show for my HUGE laugh's.

Decker 07-02-07 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog

People speculate that this was the reason Lost didn't make the cut last year (they used that Talies episode instead of a more cast-focused one). Still, most people will vote for the entire run of the season.

The biggest irony is that this year whether The Sopranos wins or not will likely depend on how the finale was perceived -- and it's not even part of the eligibility period. Believe it or not, I believe it's possible that The Sopranos could be nominated again in 2008 since the last two episodes appeared after June 1st.

JPRaup 07-02-07 08:53 AM

Dexter FTW