DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Rescue Me 6/27/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/504868-rescue-me-6-27-07-a.html)

Ranger 06-27-07 10:34 PM

Rescue Me 6/27/07

No thread? Who's on vacation?

Too bad about Jerry but it was expected for some time.

The little we got of Nona was great.

Best lines:

"Prick Jagger."

"House of Homos."

Average episode. Not funny as last week.

stingermck 06-27-07 10:49 PM

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I should've seen it coming, but I really didn't....

"bro-mantic" was a good line too

MrX 06-27-07 10:53 PM

I kept waiting for him to drop dead, I didn't see the gun coming

:lol:@ Mike "Am I in trouble"

boogieman03 06-27-07 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I should've seen it coming, but I really didn't....

"bro-mantic" was a good line too

Same here.

:(

CreamyGoodness 06-28-07 07:24 AM

Wow, that goes all the way back to the first season. When Jerry was facing suspension for beating the guy in the gay bar and he told the story about his father trying to commit suicide after he retired from the police force because he missed his family - his brothers on the force. Looks like he succeeded though.

johnglass 06-28-07 07:34 AM

Part of me believes Jerry really did it since they would have a very hard time working him into the storylines being away from the house and all. But part of me thinks they'll replay the scene with the gun at the beginning of the next episode only to show he pulls it out of his mouth at the last second.

The
Spoiler:
lack of any reaction from the rest of the crew about his suicide
in the previews might be a clue.

Patman 06-28-07 08:01 AM

Re: Jerry's fate, here's Jack McGee's reaction.

TGM 06-28-07 08:18 AM

yikes. Looks like he won't be coming back as one of Gavin's "ghosts" anytime soon, eh?

DVD Josh 06-28-07 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by johnglass
Part of me believes Jerry really did it since they would have a very hard time working him into the storylines being away from the house and all. But part of me thinks they'll replay the scene with the gun at the beginning of the next episode only to show he pulls it out of his mouth at the last second.

The
Spoiler:
lack of any reaction from the rest of the crew about his suicide
in the previews might be a clue.

No, he killed himself. You heard the gunshot after the cut to black. It's the Sopranos, only done right.

johnglass 06-28-07 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Patman

Well that definitely clears things up!

Doc MacGyver 06-28-07 09:22 AM

Man, that's a shame that things were so acromonious on the set. Leary always struck me as an inherintly shy individual... I wonder if that is being mistaken for prickishness? Either way, It's a shame to see the Chief go. Once they gave him that great scene with his son, and the party at the firehouse, though, the amatuer "detecting-a-character-being-wrapped-up" alarm in me started blaring full-force. I suppose the wife will be taken care of (His son says he'll visit regularly and the Chief mentioned "greese" money he'd saved up, which I'm assuming has been set up to pay the nursing hom bills), but what about his son? He finally gets the emotional connection and acceptance from his father that he's been longing his entire life and his dad went and shot himself during the honeymoon... That's going to do a number on that poor bastard's head.

It was shocking... and I suppose it fits the stereotype of the guy living for the job with nothing else. But I don't know... I was TOO shocked. The chief saw the aftereffect his father's suicide had on HIS family... I don't think he'd do that to the son. Still, as long as they follow up on it, have it impact the other guys meaningfully and leave a lasting presence on the show, I'll be alright with it.

Spoiler:
though from the preview, no one seems to broken up...

-Doc

lordzeppelin 06-28-07 11:06 AM

I'm sure the preview was cut that way as to leave it as a cliffhanger for the next 2 weeks. Did he do it? And I'm sure they don't know yet...in fact, I'm sure that the other guy who is going to take him to the driving range is going to find him.

I was shocked by this, but it's just par for the course with this show...you go from gripping drama to laughing to emotional scenes all in the span of one episode...and I don't expect anything less at this point.

Peep 06-28-07 01:54 PM

I'm a little disappointed with Adam Ferrara's contributions to the show. I really liked him in "The Job". Has he had any funny lines yet?

Doc MacGyver 06-28-07 02:49 PM

Well if he's the new Chief, I'm sure he'll come into his own... they probably didn't want to have him steal the thunder of Reiley's last few eps.

-Doc

Deftones 06-28-07 04:37 PM

That's too bad. Jerry was one of the best characters on the show. :(

I was also sorry to read the stuff in that TV Guide interview.

Sewso 06-28-07 07:35 PM

I thought Jerry was one of the better characters as well but I think this will be its last season, its gotten to be too damn ridiculous.

Patman 06-28-07 08:11 PM

I'm not really feeling it this season for Rescue Me, either. There's just something unappealing about Tommy's situation at home that's just thrown the early episode off-kilter for me.

invisiblegt 06-28-07 08:17 PM

I'm not really feeling it this season for Rescue Me, either. There's just something unappealing about Tommy's situation at home that's just thrown the early episode off-kilter for me.

I believe, at least for me, it is the new baby.

Boot 06-28-07 10:23 PM

Personally, I thought the end of this ep was cheap. I don't for a second believe Jerry would kill himself, and there was nothing to lead up to that except...what...some mention of his father or whatever years ago? That just seemed like a huge "let's shock everybody" moment and smacks of poor writing to me. It really pisses me off because I expect better from this show.

DeputyDave 06-28-07 10:48 PM

Damn, that Ghost of Christmas Future idea with Jerry as the ghost would have been sweet.

ytrez 06-29-07 09:48 AM

I thought the episode was brilliant. The writing was superb as hints as to the suicide were left like a trail of breadcrumbs right to the ending scene. As to whether the character would do it or not, I think he would. Here's a guy with nothing left but the job. He was the person the guys would come to with their problems, and for advice. He was the guy who would keep them in line. He lived for that. He and the rest of the crew have always had a disdain for the pencil pushers and desk jockeys at headquarters and he was being relegated to that role. He wouldn't have the camaraderie of the firehouse and he came to depend upon the guys depending upon him. And that was lost. On top of that he's got a wife who thinks he's her brother, and that's on a good day. He's got a son who he loves but who's lifestyle he hates. He's living by himself and, let's face it, while he says he's in the best shape of his life, with permanent heart damage there's nowhere to go but down. Living alone with only the prospects of getting up to go to a job he hates after losing the only thing he has a passion for is the kind of thing that would send him over the edge.

Goodbye, Chief, you'll be missed.

Boot 06-29-07 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez
I thought the episode was brilliant. The writing was superb as hints as to the suicide were left like a trail of breadcrumbs right to the ending scene. As to whether the character would do it or not, I think he would. Here's a guy with nothing left but the job. He was the person the guys would come to with their problems, and for advice. He was the guy who would keep them in line. He lived for that. He and the rest of the crew have always had a disdain for the pencil pushers and desk jockeys at headquarters and he was being relegated to that role. He wouldn't have the camaraderie of the firehouse and he came to depend upon the guys depending upon him. And that was lost. On top of that he's got a wife who thinks he's her brother, and that's on a good day. He's got a son who he loves but who's lifestyle he hates. He's living by himself and, let's face it, while he says he's in the best shape of his life, with permanent heart damage there's nowhere to go but down. Living alone with only the prospects of getting up to go to a job he hates after losing the only thing he has a passion for is the kind of thing that would send him over the edge.

Goodbye, Chief, you'll be missed.

I don't disagree with you here. Jerry had many reasons to be suicidal, but show me a suicide who shows zero signs of suicidal tendencies, and I'll show you a TV writer behind the suicide.

Peep 06-29-07 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boot
I don't disagree with you here. Jerry had many reasons to be suicidal, but show me a suicide who shows zero signs of suicidal tendencies, and I'll show you a TV writer behind the suicide.

Just because the character showed zero signs on-camera, we can't assume that there would have been zero signs had it been real life. Lots of things happen off-camera in order to hit the audience the right way.

Had they shown a bunch of suicidal tendencies in advance, it would have totally blown the shock of the event. Now the characters can rehash events that might have happened off-screen that would have warned the audience.

Cusm 06-29-07 04:22 PM

Why was Tommy being such a wimp? Since when is he not ready to fight anyone? That is the only thing that seemed off to me this episode.

Boot 06-29-07 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Just because the character showed zero signs on-camera, we can't assume that there would have been zero signs had it been real life. Lots of things happen off-camera in order to hit the audience the right way.

Had they shown a bunch of suicidal tendencies in advance, it would have totally blown the shock of the event. Now the characters can rehash events that might have happened off-screen that would have warned the audience.

I agree, but again I feel it's a cheap trick to have kept that entirely from the audience just for the shock value at the end. I would have much rather have seen him struggling emotionally and known what was coming even if the other characters did not. That would have been much more emotionally satisfying and believable than to go for the "shock ending." It's just my opinion, but this show is better than that.