DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   "Prime Suspect" - Any fans? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/504865-prime-suspect-any-fans.html)

Daytripper 06-27-07 09:36 PM

"Prime Suspect" - Any fans?

Late bloomer here on the series. Just recently rented them all on DVD from Netflix. And I thought all were great. Couldn't wait for the next season/series after I watched each one. But thought "Series 6" was the best. As good as any theatrical film I've seen this year. Now, I know there is one more series. Is that indeed the last? I hope not. Mirren is SO good. As is the show. Maybe a theatrical film? (Fingers crossed).

wendersfan 06-27-07 09:52 PM

Helen Mirren :up:

Been years since I've seen any of them, but I used to watch them a lot.

grem458 06-27-07 11:14 PM

Loved these. The first one is still my favorite.

kitkat 06-27-07 11:20 PM

It's also been a while since I've seen them, but Helen Mirren is great!

Sweet Baby James 06-27-07 11:42 PM

Great series. I love all of the British mystery shows. You should Netflix "Touching Evil" with Robson Greene-you'll thank me.:)

BDB 06-28-07 12:24 AM

Actually I'd say go for Cracker if you haven't seen it.

skatefan20 06-28-07 12:53 PM

Caught the last series couple months ago (still uncertain if what PBS had shown was a cut version). Mirren will definitely take home another Emmy.

nateman 06-28-07 02:16 PM

I thought Prime Suspect was alright but if you really want some juicy British Mysteries check out:

A Touch of Frost starring David Jason as Detective Inspector Frost. It's a pretty good mystery series with some witty banter that makes this show so damn good.
Here in North America, MPI Home Video has released seasons 1-12 on DVD.

Season 1 (3 episodes)
Season 2 (4 episodes)
Season 3 (4 episodes)
Season 5 (5 episodes)
Season 6 (4 episodes)
Season's 7 & 8 (4 episodes)
Season's 9 & 10 (5 episodes)
Season's 11 & 12 (3 episodes)

& Midsomer Murders starring John Nettles as Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby who solves cases with his partner (changes a couple of times throughout the series) & the famous Description, What evil lurks beyond the well-trimmed hedges of Midsomer...
This is actually a better Mystery series than frost because it actually surprises you at the end as to who the killer is & keeping you guessing to the very last minute.

Sets 1-8 have been released here in North America but the episodes are not in order due to legal issues that A&E had distributing the series on DVD.

Patricia Routledge who played the hilarious Hyacinth Bucket In the british comedy, Keeping up appearances had her own Mystery series called Hetty Wainthropp Investigates and it was decent but I wouldn't go rush out and buy all 4 seasons on DVD or anything.

Sweet Baby James 06-28-07 02:44 PM

^

All great recommendations. I'll also add Inspector Morse with a great lead performance by the late John Thaw.

nateman 06-29-07 10:11 AM

Sweet Baby James
^

All great recommendations. I'll also add Inspector Morse with a great lead performance by the late John Thaw.
I forgot all about Mr.Morse, Inspector Morse was an excellent Mystery series. I have a book called The making of Inspector Morse which is a pretty intresting read. I don't think the 33 episode series has been released on DVD yet in North America sadly, hopefully soon.
There was a short spin-off called Lewis that aired for a whopping 4 episodes which was about Inspector Lewis who was Morse's partner in the series.
The pilot episode is available on DVD here in NA but the show is renamed Inspector Lewis.

Another good one now that I remember is The Inspector Lynley Mysteries which is still running & so far has had five series (seasons) so far. It stars Nathaniel Parker who is a great lead for the series.

Sweet Baby James 06-29-07 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I forgot all about Mr.Morse, Inspector Morse was an excellent Mystery series. I have a book called The making of Inspector Morse which is a pretty intresting read. I don't think the 33 episode series has been released on DVD yet in North America sadly, hopefully soon.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=262606 :)