Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 16" (6/27-28/07)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 16" (6/27-28/07)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I didn't like seeing Jessi go but I'm not sure what her place was in the competition. She had no real dance style and if you compare the solos Sara's (who's was in a similar style) Sara blew hers away.

Danny is just way to cocky for me and I want him gone sooner rather then later. I believe Nigel said his attitude might present a problem for him in the voting and think that's going to continue to happen.
Old 06-29-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm kinda pissed at what happened. This seems to be an ongoing theme now. Cedric got pity votes. He also got a lot of screen time the other night (and spent what seemed like forever speaking his mind). If he's not gone next week, I'm not sure I can keep watching the good dancers get voted off. He doesn't have a great personality (does he ever smile) and his breaking style is getting old. Who the hell voted for him?

I liked Jesus, but he definitely was out of his league on the dance off. It seems almost like he was holding back because his routine just wasn't there. I wanted to see them cut Neil, but I understand why they cut Jesus.

Jessi was a forgone conclusion, although I think she did much better in this week's dance off than last week. I agree that Lauren wasn't that great, I also think Sara could have been better. Everyone was teetering on the edge with the girls.
Old 06-29-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just think I will miss what jessi and pasha bring to the dance floor waaayyy more than I would have missed what neil and lauren will bring. They are so boring to me, and cant even fake not having chemistry.
Old 06-29-07, 01:54 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
When's the next show? Two weeks?
Old 06-29-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if the judges aced Jessi because of her health condition. That might explain the quick, unexplained, and blunt release from Nigel. She undoubtedly wasn't the worst female dancer in the bottom.

Cedric. The right decision was made from the three served up (Jesus), but man that kid's gotta get out and split for Debbie's school pronto. Also, I'm thinking the votes were more clocked in for Shauna's performance, not pity for Cedric. I'm not sure if Shauna's the best dancer in the competition, but she's undoubtedly one of the most intriguing and talented, combined.

Favorite performance was, here's a real shocker, that incredible performance from Hok and Jamie as previously mentioned. Man, that was just sheer captivation with the perfect players.
Old 06-29-07, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
She undoubtedly wasn't the worst female dancer in the bottom.
that hip-hop solo was crap, what was she thinking. unless she knew she was already going home. i bet if she didn't get rushed to the hospital she would have been safe.
Old 06-29-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
I wonder if the judges aced Jessi because of her health condition. That might explain the quick, unexplained, and blunt release from Nigel.
That's what I think. I have heard these shows have pretty strict insurance policies and there may have been an issue if she had withheld a pre-existing condition or something. It was pretty abrupt and makes me think there was some backstage drama as to her being let go.
Old 06-29-07, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by spinning plates
that hip-hop solo was crap, what was she thinking. unless she knew she was already going home. i bet if she didn't get rushed to the hospital she would have been safe.

I agree that Jessi's solo wasn't anything exceptional, but I was trying to figure out what Lauren was trying to do with her solo. As one of the judges said, she spent half of the time getting on stage.
Old 06-29-07, 05:16 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
When's the next show? Two weeks?
Yup. No SYTYCD next week for the July 4th holiday. The show comes back on the 7/11/07.
Old 06-30-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stunned that Cedric is going to be around for another week. Nigel was an idiot for keeping him around. True, Jesus wasn't as good as the other two in the bottom three, but he was great fun to watch with his partner. Will be interesting to see Pasha's partnering with a B-girl (one of my faves, actually).

I have no problem at all with Jessi being sent home. Keeping her for another week when she didn't garner any audience votes would have been hugely unfair to the other girls.

Favorite performance of the season: Hok and Jamie. Robson is a genius.
Old 06-30-07, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Stunned that Cedric is going to be around for another week. Nigel was an idiot for keeping him around. True, Jesus wasn't as good as the other two in the bottom three, but he was great fun to watch with his partner. Will be interesting to see Pasha's partnering with a B-girl (one of my faves, actually).

I have no problem at all with Jessi being sent home. Keeping her for another week when she didn't garner any audience votes would have been hugely unfair to the other girls.

Favorite performance of the season: Hok and Jamie. Robson is a genius.
Well, the same could be said the other way around. She got canned real easy without any interference from the voters. Not even a change. She certainly wasn't the worst of the three dancers and if it wasn't for her hospital visit she would certainly not even be dancing for her life (her performance in the live show with Pasha was great, wow). I thought it was a bit harsh and insensitive. But I guess the producers didn't want any more accidents and this was an easy way to get rid of her without having to worry about voters.

The whole speech for getting Cedric of the show kinda generated the opposite effect. Everybody at home felt sorry and started calling.

The Wade Robson routine was indeed magnificant.
Old 06-30-07, 07:39 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i wasn't as blown away with Hok and Jaime as everyone else seems to be, i think Wade made the choreography too Hoklike so Hok didn't need to adapt enough for it to be impressive.

Cedric needs to go next week. Jesus had a raw deal. Nigel was right, the girl's solos were pitiful.

No one to me is jumping out as a winner this year, unlike Travis and Benji last year.
Old 06-30-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i was actually pissed that jesus and sara ended up in the bottom 3--i thought their performance was fantastic! i picked cedric/shauna, lauren/neil, and anya/danny for the bottom 3. it was really sad to see jesus go--i thought he was a solid dancer and very versatile, but i agree, his solo was lacking... neil, on the other hand, has great solos, but his partner dances suck! i really wish he had been voted off instead.

i second the comment made about danny's cocky attitude. if i could vote for him to go home instead of to save him, i would. his attitude and diva-ness reminds me more of a singer/american idol than a dancer...

in a way, i was actually relieved that cedric/shauna made it thru because im pullin' for the bigger gal here...

i was also pissed that jamie and hok got a great routine... i would like to see hok do something a little more out of his field and a little more challenging--i think he would fail miserably, and i think that people believe he is better than he really is...

does anyone know when they change partners?
Old 07-01-07, 02:12 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Hok has a huge public following, so he and his partner will always get votes regardless of performance.
Old 07-01-07, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Hok has a huge public following, so he and his partner will always get votes regardless of performance.
I agree. HOk has taken on a life of his own....and he is a fanatical favorite. I dont think people will see him do anything wrong, and he may not win this thing, but he isnt going anywhere soon. I do agree that the choreographers have been choreographing to his style, instead of him adapting to the choreography.
Old 07-02-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Hok is going to be similar to that other Asian breaker in the first season (can't remember his name, mohawk hair). Even when that guy was bad, he would still get enough votes to go on. After a while (with the judges just tearing him apart each episode), he looked desperate to leave the show. He even mimed "hanging up the phone" for the audience when it came around to voting for him. I think Hok is a better dancer overall, but like someone said earlier his popularity will carry him for a while. Breakers have always been more popular because of the amazing stunts they pull off.
Old 07-02-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
The guy from Season 1 (Ryan, I think it was) was pretty obviously outclassed by the time it was his turn to go (although I thought he did surprisingly well for his limitations, he was dogged by the judges for a while before he left). Hok, so far, has gotten pretty good comments from the judges and has deserved to stay up to this point. At the very least, he's something different, and I'd think the dancers who dance very similar to each other would be weeded out first because of the audience vote. Now if Cedric stays around for too much longer...

I agree that Jessi, had she been well enough to dance for the audience vote, would have been safe... maybe it was pity votes that made Pasha safe, but I have to think that their performance, on looks alone, would have gotten them through. We'll never know, though. I couldn't stop laughing when Debbie Allen said something along the lines of "I know we're not supposed to comment on her (the dance instructor) but man, it was like you were dancing with Bette Midler" because that's exactly what my wife said during the dance. It was sooo very different with Jessi in there.
Old 07-03-07, 12:31 AM

Hok and Ryan (from Season 1) are actually both from the same dance crew, Quest, out of California.

http://www.myspace.com/questdance
Old 07-05-07, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is from an interview with Jessi from another site:

Can you tell us about going to the hospital, how bad actually was it and was there any chance of you performing on Tuesday's show?

Absolutely, yes, there was a chance for me performing on Tuesday’s show. Something that the audience didn't see was that was actually the second time I had to go to the hospital because last week, I also got really dehydrated again like, "Girl, get some Gatorade." But that was the second time I had to go, I did not want to go, I didn’t feel like I needed to go, but the show has our best interests in mind and they just felt like if you’re feeling these pains you should go to the hospital and get it checked it out. I’m sitting there going, "Give me some Gatorade, give me a second to breathe and I'll be fine". I actually checked myself out of the hospital to come back because there was no way I was letting Pasha down or letting him dance by himself. And, at that point it was taken out of my hands and put into some lawyer's hands, and so they were like, "No, no, you will not be dancing tonight, you’re a liability, what if you croak on stage?" And I’m going, "I’m not going to croak, everything’s going to be fine, please let me dance, please, please, please". And they were like, "No, no, no".

Full interview here:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/so-y...pera-7790.aspx
Old 07-06-07, 07:29 PM

Off topic....I saw this local Popeyes chicken commercial, and I swear its Musa dancing in it...! Anyone see this?
Old 07-09-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Off topic....I saw this local Popeyes chicken commercial, and I swear its Musa dancing in it...! Anyone see this?
Maybe it would help to tell us where you're located (if it's not a national commercial)? I haven't personally seen this, though I generally tune out commercials. what's the commercial about?

edited to add: Just did a quick search on Musa and Popeyes, and I guess it is him in the commercial.