Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many episodes should a new series be given ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-22-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fireffly and Wonderfalls were yanked after airing only a few episodes.
This is ridiculous IMHO as shows need some time to build up viewership, especially as these shows had good reviews.
How many episodes do you think the networks should give to a new series irrespective of ratings ?

I think 12.
Old 06-22-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it should get it's initial order of shows. There should never be shows that were filmed that don't air.
Old 06-22-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with 12-13 as long as they are guaranteed to air them all.
Old 06-22-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's a show I don't like, it should be yanked off the air by the first commercial break to make room for something better. If it's a show I like, eight seasons.
Old 06-22-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
I think it should get it's initial order of shows. There should never be shows that were filmed that don't air.
I like this idea.

They also need to start taking DVR viewer results more seriously, but that will start negatively affecting advertising (since, obviously, most DVR watchers don't watch ads).
Old 06-22-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with the entire initial should be aired. I also think those episodes should constitute a self-contained story that is open for continuation, like a mini-series, for when the 2nd season isn't picked up.
Old 06-22-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

13 seems more than fair. If a show doesn't build an audience or at least some buzz, then you can ax it.
Old 06-22-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

seven
Old 06-22-07, 05:24 PM
Banned

The front 13 would seem like a fair number. These days, they freak out if the show isn't an instant hit and are quick to pull the plug because they can replace them with cheap reality shows or reruns of hit shows.
Old 06-22-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Legolas
The front 13 would seem like a fair number. These days, they freak out if the show isn't an instant hit and are quick to pull the plug because they can replace them with cheap reality shows or reruns of hit shows.

Amen to that. Fox loves to ax anything that doesn't do gangbusters ASAP nowadays, and CBS isn't too much on giving anything a shot either. Smith was a show that had potential but I knew with such a high profile cast it would get yankes if it didn't do well the first week.

I am a proponent of at least letting the initial 13 eps shot run their course, and if it doesn't work for the first three or four, then at least switch its slot, but only once. If it can't get a following then, it needs to be yanked.
Old 06-22-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All new series should be guaranteed 13 full episodes, and 1 will air every week for 13 consecutive weeks during prime time, this would make sure the show at least gets a fighting chance.

The biggest thing I would make sure of is that every new show, if canceled, gets the chance to make one more episode to wrap it up, to rid us of all cliff-hangers on prematurely canceled shows.
Old 06-22-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think there is a magic number.
Old 06-26-07, 03:51 AM

Fox wouldn't be where it is today if it yanked shows as quickly then as it does now, yet this simple fact seems to escape it's executives.