Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing - New season began on 06/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Last Comic Standing - New season began on 06/13

I told myself that I wasn't going to get sucked up into this show again, but I did.

Some funny stuff, but a lot of really bad sets.

New host Bill Bellamy is a heckuva lot better than last year's Anthony Clarke who was awful.

I can't believe the guy in the gorilla mask got through. Talk about a one-note gimmick.

I've forgotten his name, but the guy who did the bit about Farrakhan's cancer was very good.
Old 06-14-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anthony Clarke wasn't that bad. I know Yes Dear! got crushed by the critic's but I thought the show wasn't half bad and I wish the show would come to DVD.
Oh well TBC reruns at 3 for me.
Old 06-14-07, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This show was a real disappointment. I love how they call the new judges "Talent Scouts", shouldn't you have talent in the first place before being hired to look for any?

Ant?! This guy isn't funny, especially when you take away 'gay' from his routine. With his new moptop and heavy mascara he's even weirder looking than before.

It's almost as they passed on the least funny people from each city. The skinny soccer mom with the big nose, NOT FUNNY. The butch Lesbo from San Antonio, NOT FUNNY. Maybe two of their picks were actually humorous, the rest were crap.

Granted they only showed little snippets of their routine, but like the OP said.. .Mel Silverback?! Come on....

The judges are crap, their choices were crap... major let down.
Old 06-14-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Anthony Clarke wasn't that bad.
He looked like he was near-death last season, and he looked ridiculous wearing more make-up than any of the female comics.
Old 06-14-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Mel Silverback = the New Unknown Comic
Old 06-14-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Is this being replayed? I missed this one.
Old 06-14-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That soccer mom was brutal...I've heard ALL of her jokes at least 10 times before, and told better... hell, her same sex joke was in all the ads for the horrible movie "Man of the Year" last september...and then in winter she reuses a joke that was in commericals all the time and gets a laugh...are you fucking serious... I can't believe that Mel Silverback made the cut... so far, I'm rooting for Gerry Dee and there were two girls from the first and last city who I thought were very funny and unPC. One of whom reminded me of Nikki Glaser from last year... should be interesting - I hope.
Old 06-14-07, 04:27 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I really should have auditioned in SA.

The funniest joke was when the guy was talking about people retitling jobs so that they sounded a little less threatening... like calling pedophiles "talent scouts."

The judges just about shot him with their laughter.

Old 06-14-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd feel better about this show if the comics actually went on to do something with their wins. They might get bigger crowds to live shows, but what happened to the past seasons of promises of new TV deals and such? Did I miss them? Were the shows that short lived?

Who was that guy who followed the judges around from town to town in the previous seasons? He reminded me of Carrot Top in annoying kind of way but I can't think of his name for the life of me..."the_________Show" is how he'd introduce himself. I was surprised he didn't pop up in last night's episode.
Old 06-14-07, 07:49 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Who was that guy who followed the judges around from town to town in the previous seasons? He reminded me of Carrot Top in annoying kind of way but I can't think of his name for the life of me..."the_________Show" is how he'd introduce himself. I was surprised he didn't pop up in last night's episode.
"I'm Buck Star and welcome to the Buck Star Show."

There are some who say that this guy was a...

Spoiler:
... plant.

Read & Mark apparently also love creating characters for the "reality" show. Do you all remember the hideous Buck Star? He was the tool who went to every city of the regional tryouts whom Read & Mark ripped apart before he was able to finish his first joke. From what I hear, Buck Star is actually a Production Assistant that NBC used to film remotes. That's right! Buck didn't travel all over the country to try out, he was on the payroll doing his job! NBC wanted to create a William Hung type of character (the Dat Phan of American Idol) and decided Buck would be the perfect candidate. They gave Buck a bullshit angle with his father, a joke from Rich Vos, and when he was finally given stage time all he talked about was stalking Read & Mark. link

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-14-07 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 10:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
It seemed that Ant loved the gay comics. Alonso loved the black comics. And Kathleen loved the girl comics. I kept waiting for a black lesbian to show up and automatically win the whole damn thing.
Old 06-15-07, 12:35 AM

I actually liked these scouts compared to the 'real' scouts we've been punished with for the last several seasons. Big fan of the show, but couldn't agree more with all the criticism so far.

How can you expect any credibility when you send a guy in a monkey suit through?

Sadly, I am weak-willed and I know I will watch every episode, pity me.
Old 06-15-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by david12
It seemed that Ant loved the gay comics. Alonso loved the black comics. And Kathleen loved the girl comics. I kept waiting for a black lesbian to show up and automatically win the whole damn thing.
I just liked how they felt obliged to show those specific judges every time somebody was gay/black/female.

My favorite moment? When that one comic started his routine saying he was a racist as a kid and the camera man had to show a close of of Alonso's face!
Old 06-15-07, 08:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Host is a big improvement this year. There were a lot of funny comics shown, but many of my favorites didn't make it through. The problem is that comics are "cast" more for how they'll interact with each other than based on how funny they are.
Old 06-15-07, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by david12
I don't agree. Kathleen had an interview that specifically talked about how women typically aren't as funny as men, and that she hoped to find a funny woman. They showed 5-10 snippets of women, who were not at all humorous, then showed Kathleen's reactions. She looked bored. It wasn't until the annoying heavy woman (with the "I'm so lonely" jokes) came on that she laughed at all.

As for Ant (who I don't care for at all), he even killed off a bunch of the gay comics. I think he was the first to boot the guy wearing all pink off the stage.

And Alonzo, who I think is the most talented of the three, may have shown some favoritism to the black comics, but IMO, the black comics showcased were the funniest....
Old 06-15-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Man this show sucks. I have caught episodes of it from every season so far and they seem to still have not found a single funny person to appear on screen. I remember reading that the only reason that a lot of them get picked is because they all have the same management company who are attached to the show. Ant being one of them. He is someone that is the perfect example of a person being able to carve a career out of being a talentless shit. I remember also seeing Dat Phan....how the hell does a guy that unfunny win a series that is suppossed to find the next great comic. I guess any respectable comic would rather die than appear on this POS.
Old 06-15-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
respectable comic
Oxymoron.

I agree with your post. The show's premise is great. The execution reeks of production manipulation. Remember the "judge controversy" with Brett Butler. There is something rotten at the core of this show.
Old 06-15-07, 11:21 AM

Bring back Dave Mordal

Chris
Old 06-15-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I like the idea behind the show....but the fact that they consistantly fail to get anyone funny on it seems to defeat the purpose.
Old 06-28-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess everyone has already given up on this season. I'm about to as well. I just don't see anyone that's really hilarious.

The funniest part of the show is the fact that Ant, Kathleen Madigan, and Alonzo Bodden, three z-level comics, are the ones passing judgment.
Old 06-28-07, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The "slow motion" guy they picked up in London is by far the funniest guy on the show so far.
Old 06-28-07, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The funniest part of the show is the fact that Ant, Kathleen Madigan, and Alonzo Bodden, three z-level comics, are the ones passing judgment.
I actually saw Alonzo live, once. He's really funny, it's just that his good stuff is really dirty. He was with Gary Gulman (pretty good) and Jay London (horribly unfunny -- people weren't even drunk pity laughing).
Old 06-28-07, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I guess everyone has already given up on this season. I'm about to as well. I just don't see anyone that's really hilarious.

I liked the part where Kathleen Madigan says that she doesn't like passing judgment on other comics. Um .... maybe you should have read the job description a little more closely before signing onto this show as a talent scout?
Old 06-28-07, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WepaMan
Granted they only showed little snippets of their routine, but like the OP said.. .Mel Silverback?! Come on....
Lol. I thought he was amusing. Tastes vary eh?
Old 06-28-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't get a feel at how any of these comics they picked would do overall based on the joke or two I see them tell. I've only laughed a couple times. The auditions are edited too short.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.