Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Old 06-12-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I didn't see it in the other thread, but basically the guy in the Members Only jacket was Phil's cousin!
Old 06-12-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I didn't see it in the other thread, but basically the guy in the Members Only jacket was Phil's cousin!
Old 06-12-07, 12:08 PM

I don't know. I put up with Chase's artsy weirdness when Tony was in a coma, the peyote thing, etc. All I asked for was a little closure.

Nope. I can't get past it. I call BS. The previous episode was a glimmer of the Sopranos of old and this episode did nothing but disappoint me. I even thought the Phil scene was overdone.
Old 06-12-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In case you didn't get to read the link in the other thread, Battlestar Galactica (the new one) creator Ronald Moore weighed in his opinion and it was probably the best summation one could come up with to explain the finale.

Here it is
Old 06-12-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
In case you didn't get to read the link in the other thread, Battlestar Galactica (the new one) creator Ronald Moore weighed in his opinion and it was probably the best summation one could come up with to explain the finale.

Here it is
For a Dr. you sure don't know how to post a working link.
Old 06-12-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Ron Moore link:

http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/arc...007/06/#003055

And Toolbin, asking David Chase for some closure is like asking Satan for some ice water.
Old 06-12-07, 12:28 PM

It's funny - the more I think about The Sopranos finale, the less I like the Six Feet Under one.
Old 06-12-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sounds like he would be a big fan of the power going out everytime a movie was close to the end.

Wonder if the rest of America would appreciate this new art form? I could start my own theater chain where I shut off the projector just before the final scene, then walk up front and say, "Good night, folks. Thanks for coming." Unfortunately, I doubt my theater will be left in the same condition as when the film started.
Old 06-12-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

God, I hope this doesn't inspire Ron Moore to fuck up the end of "Battlestar Galactica."
Old 06-12-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This should end all the debate. This is what CHASE HIMSELF says about the finale scene.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/se...0570.xml&coll=1

"I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there," he says of the final scene.

"No one was trying to be audacious, honest to God," he adds. "We did what we thought we had to do. No one was trying to blow people's minds or thinking, 'Wow, this'll (tick) them off.'

"People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them, and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them."

In that final scene, mob boss Tony Soprano waited at a Bloomfield ice cream parlor for his family to arrive, one by one. What was a seemingly benign family outing was shot and cut as the preamble to a tragedy, with Tony suspiciously eyeing one patron after another, the camera dwelling a little too long on Meadow's parallel parking and a walk by a man in a Members Only jacket to the men's room. Just as the tension ratcheted up to unbearable levels, the series cut to black in mid-scene (and mid-song), with no resolution.

"Anybody who wants to watch it, it's all there," says Chase.

The article debunks the "Phil's cousin" and Dante's inferno theories as well.

----

"Filler episodes"

remember that 21-month hiatus between Seasons Five and Six? That was Chase thinking up the ending. HBO's then-chairman Chris Albrecht came to him after Season Five and suggested thinking up a conclusion to the series; Chase agreed, on the condition he get "a long break" to decide on an ending.

Originally, that ending was supposed to occur last year, but midway through production, the number of episodes was increased, and Chase stretched out certain plot elements while saving the major climaxes for this final batch of nine.

"If this had been one season, the Vito storyline would not have been so important," he says.
Old 06-12-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One issue I have with the whole debate, irrespective of my opinion about the finale, is that a lot of the people saying how great it was would have said it was the worst idea ever, if it had been proposed by a random fan prior to the finale.
Old 06-12-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
It's funny - the more I think about The Sopranos finale, the less I like the Six Feet Under one.
Two completely different types of shows require two completely different types of finales. While I think the execution of "Made in America" could have been handled a little better, thematically, each finale is entirely consistent with its show. "Everyone's Waiting" is perfect if only for the following reason:
Spoiler:
Billy literally bores Brenda to death bitching about something Ted said.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 06-12-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 01:21 PM

The Ron Moore link:

http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/arc...007/06/#003055

And Toolbin, asking David Chase for some closure is like asking Satan for some ice water.
I agree with his take, I liked the ending. I didn't need "closure", I didn't need to know everything that happens in the future for every character on the show. I like not knowing. Perfect ending to a great series.
Old 06-12-07, 01:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brett44
I agree with his take, I liked the ending. I didn't need "closure", I didn't need to know everything that happens in the future for every character on the show. I like not knowing.
By that logic, you didn't need to watch the show. That's the ultimate not knowing experience. But no, you instead chose to let Mr. Chase spoonfeed you your not knowing! You had to eat that empty spoon, didn't you? That's just lazy.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This should end all the debate. This is what CHASE HIMSELF says about the finale scene.

If the discussion continues at this rate, I expect to read that post a third time in Part III on Wednesday night. The same goes for the link to Battlestar Galactica actor's comments, I got deja vu half a dozen times, and this is only page 1.

For the record, I agree with you. But if everyone copies and pastes their comments from the last thread, can't we just sticky that and read it over and over? It's not as if the show will be different if our posts aren't in the most recent topic..
Old 06-12-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was a gimmick, plain and simple. Chase didn't want to end it. So he showed he could get the tension up and played a trick by cutting it off. Yeah he thinks he's a creative genious, but in actuallity people enjoy conclusions, not trickery. So no he will go down in history as an ass who fucked his fans.
It's like going to see a magic show and the Copperfield strings you along with a huge fancy, sparkling performance and a hot assistant. He lift up a curtain and the assistant disspears. Then the lights turn off on stage and the lights turn on in the stands, but nothing. Show's over! Everyone go home. But the crowd is still wondering: where's the assistant? Yeah you don't have to have her come back flying on a wire across the stands, but it sure does make the magic look real. Chase fucked that up with the finale.

And this shit with speculation. Everything was so vague you can't conclude shit. People justifying this ending with their own facts and interpretations are delusional. "We see it from Tony's perspective." Bullshit. When did the show ever show you anything from Tony's first-person perspective? never. Why now? because chase couldn't think of something better. I could in my sleep.

Last edited by mmconhea; 06-12-07 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jeez. Folks it is just a television show. You can't please all of the people all of the time. If you didn't like it, that's your opinion - POOR YOU. Get on with your life.
Old 06-12-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when you pay money for the show it matters a bit.
One could say you could be getting on with your life instead of posting in this thread.
Old 06-12-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So maybe that was Jack Bauer coming in the door at the end?

Now there's a goofy show. I'm amazed how many people get sucked in by that nonsense.
Old 06-12-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

would have been great if Silvio came through the door...
Old 06-12-07, 02:31 PM
Suspended

All I know is that 24 would never end with a bunch of vague nothingness...

Oh wait...
Old 06-12-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the ending. I prefer to think of the past 6 seasons as a sort of mocumentary. Part 1 would be The Early Years, part 2 is Tony Joins the Mob. What was saw was Part 3, Tony Raises a Family. There's still more parts to this overall story, but we only saw one chapter of the larger story (the most interesting part).

We saw Tony raise his children and the series kind of ended with them moving on. Now Tony and Carmela are moving on to the empty nest phase. Next comes the grandkids phase. Likewise, his other family has sort of moved on. Chris is gone, Bobby is gone, Uncle Junior is essentially gone, Sil is most likely gone. Now he has to start over. The only main player not gone is Paulie, but he totally fits into the nagging wife category.

I do think the Tony got killed theory has a lot of merit. But I prefer to see the end of the show as the end of a chapter in Tony's overall life story. It didn't end in typical Hollywood fashion with lots of gunplay and big explosions, but that's because we're only seeing a small part of the story. And most people's life story's don't end like that.

Anyway, with the ending we got, that's as good a theory as anything else I've heard.
Old 06-12-07, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Two completely different types of shows require two completely different types of finales.
I know, and I agree. I was just trying to wind people up.
Old 06-12-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why, I oughta ...

das
Old 06-12-07, 03:15 PM
Suspended

At least that's something. David Chase, on the other hand, chose to

Old 06-12-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
"Filler episodes"

remember that 21-month hiatus between Seasons Five and Six? That was Chase thinking up the ending. HBO's then-chairman Chris Albrecht came to him after Season Five and suggested thinking up a conclusion to the series; Chase agreed, on the condition he get "a long break" to decide on an ending.

Originally, that ending was supposed to occur last year, but midway through production, the number of episodes was increased, and Chase stretched out certain plot elements while saving the major climaxes for this final batch of nine.

"If this had been one season, the Vito storyline would not have been so important," he says.
Well, at least he confirmed my suspicions about having to stretch out certain subplots to fill out time during Season 6. That sudden focus on Vito really did seem to come out of nowhere.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.