Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Old 06-10-07, 09:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to have to go with Neon Genesis Evangelion as having the best series finale ever.
Old 06-10-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith6601
Damn, a friend just pointed out to me. Back when Tony and Bobby were talking in the boat, they talked about "what happens when you die?" and the response was "nothing, it just goes black."

I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that episode to see if that's exactly what was said but if it was....damn that's awesome foreshadowing.
Now I'm sad.

I fear you may be exactly right. There was obvious significance in that prolonged blackness (and quiet).
Old 06-10-07, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby

I grew up in Bloomfield, NJ where that last scene was shot. Holsten's has been there forever. I was laughing at Meadow parking that car.. not so much as to the way she was doing it.. just that she was able to find a parking space at all on that busy corner is laughable.
I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited by Keith6601; 06-10-07 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
How sad that you were forced to watch season after season of such a crappy show. There certainly is nothing else you could have been doing with that hour of your life, right?
Oh come on. You are such a Chase cheerleader I'm surprised you'd choose such a tired old comeback.

Why would I watch? Because the show was GREAT. Probably one of the best first seasons of a show ever. Season 2 was very very good. Then downhill. But why do I keep watching? Because you want to see it get back where it was. I was hopeful that since the final season started it had been very good that we'd get a satisfying ending as a reward for 8 years of loyal fandom. Instead we get fade to black.

Be honest. A person could watch the first few years of the Sopranos, and stop, and have the SAME result as if they watched to the end. Pretty pathetic.
Old 06-10-07, 09:47 PM
Banned by request

If that line really is there, then I will revise my opinion on that ending.
Old 06-10-07, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it quite alot; my wife's on the "Fuck David Chase" side of the fence, though. She wasn't happy with the ending. If they never shoot another frame, I'm good with it; if we get another series, or a film, or a series of films, I'm OK with that, too.
Old 06-10-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ridiculous. Unless you see his bloody body, there can be no closure.
Old 06-10-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WTF Numanoid? First you say "open to interpretation, that's great art", now you are giving the poster shit for having an interpretation since "there's no definitive answer"?

Which is it man?

Come on! how can you guys for a second even think that tony died? We saw no evidence of him about to be whacked. It was meant to be taken as tony having to look over his shoulder every second and how he has to life his life when he is out in the open.
Banned by request

If you read my comments earlier in the thread, you'd see I didn't want a bloody shootout for the last scene.
Old 06-10-07, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
WTF Numanoid? First you say "open to interpretation, that's great art", now you are giving the poster shit for having an interpretation since "there's no definitive answer"?

Which is it man?
He's making fun of the people who have been calling for a bloody shootout. However, he picked on the wrong guy, since I wasn't one of the people asking for that.
Old 06-10-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I remember the conversation in the boat...and Tony thought about it again at the end of Blue Comet when he was sitting in the bed:

"you probably don't even hear it when it happens"

Last edited by covenant; 06-10-07 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The entire episode was boring on top of the shitty ending. Uncle Junior, Sil, Janice, and the psychiatrist scenes dragged.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kinetic
Come on! how can you guys for a second even think that tony died? We saw no evidence of him about to be whacked. It was meant to be taken as tony having to look over his shoulder every second and how he has to life his life when he is out in the open.
I think is the best comment yet about the ending. He's right. Every time that door opened, he looked up with apprehension. He thought everyone that walked in was a threat. He thought that guy going to the bathroom was going to hit him. Everyplace he goes now he will feel vulnerable. It will forever be "bell, rings, am I going to die?"

Nice work kinetic.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Wouldn't we have heard a shot if Tony was killed there? Did Meadow look shocked when she walked in, it happened so fast that I missed her expression.

I would've been fine with the ending if you took away the sudden stop there. Have them sitting around eating onion rings, fine. Whatever.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 197 Posts
what if those were just a couple of new guys tony has for watching his back.
Old 06-10-07, 09:52 PM
Banned

First Sleeper Cell ends with no closure and now my favorite show of all time ends with no complete closure...Oh well, i feel like I enjoyed the episode but I am actually really depressed now...
Old 06-10-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's making fun of the people who have been calling for a bloody shootout. However, he picked on the wrong guy, since I wasn't one of the people asking for that.
Back in earlier seasons I was among the loudest shouters that this isn't a mob drama, it's a family drama, and whackings weren't integral to the plot.

I didn't want a bloody ending either, but I damn sure wanted "an" ending!
Old 06-10-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think is the best comment yet about the ending. He's right. Every time that door opened, he looked up with apprehension. He thought everyone that walked in was a threat. He thought that guy going to the bathroom was going to hit him. Everyplace he goes now he will feel vulnerable. It will forever be "bell, rings, am I going to die?"

Nice work kinetic.
But who would put out a hit on Tony? Phil's gone, Butchie cut a deal with Tony, who else is left?

EDIT:
I also wanted to quote this from zooiiks on the previous page, as it's a nice little write-up on the final scene, and got kind of lost in the shuffle of "Fuck you, David Chase" posts:
Originally Posted by zooiiks
I think Chase showed the emptiness and atrociousness of his characters' lives. Tony has to constantly watch over his shoulder and there's an 80-90 percent chance he's going to trial. AJ's a sellout. Meadow, who wants to help the little people v the big bad gov't, is a sellout (drives a fancy car, takes a $170k/year job, is about to marry the son of a gangster, and of course, is the daughter of a notorious, murdering gangster), Carmella's a hypocritical sellout. They meet at a nice little old-fashioned family restaurant in a nice cozy booth when the fact is they are the least close family in the world.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 06-10-07 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not picking on you (I know your taste from other threads and reviews). I was jabbing at folks that can't make a leap from a black screen to something else, rather they need it shown to them. It's viewer laziness, IMO, but it is a quite common approach, I'll give 'em that.
Old 06-10-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
But who would put out a hit on Tony? Phil's gone, Butchie cut a deal with Tony, who else is left?
Could be anyone. Tony is extremely vulnerable now. With subpoenas coming, they may to shut Tony up. Could be a new person wanting to make a name for himself. Fact is there will always be someone, it's been like that the whole series.
Old 06-10-07, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I would say Carlo, but he already flipped to the feds.

Carmine Jr.?
Old 06-10-07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
First Sleeper Cell ends with no closure and now my favorite show of all time ends with no complete closure...Oh well, i feel like I enjoyed the episode but I am actually really depressed now...
i really think there will be another season to sleeper cell
Banned by request

I'm not picking on you (I know your taste from other threads and reviews). I was jabbing at folks that can't make a leap from a black screen to something else, rather they need it shown to them. It's viewer laziness, IMO, but it is a quite common approach, I'll give 'em that.
And I still think you're confusing an understandable desire for closure of some kind with viewer laziness. Viewer laziness is watching The Simple Life. Asking for a little closure on a show that's been running for many years is a simple human desire.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by covenant
I remember the conversation in the boat...and Tony thought about it again at the end of Blue Comet when he was sitting in the bed:

"you probably don't even hear it when it happens"
Indeed, just watched it again to check. The last thing Tony remembers before sacking out at the safe house was recalling that very conversation. The signs are all there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.