Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Old 06-10-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You also have to realize these comments are coming just moments after watching. I'm willing to bet after thinking over the episode for the next day or two people's minds might change...then again, maybe not.

I have to admit, I thought the last few minutes were pretty good.

the last few minutes were good at building tension but then bam.... nothing.... because we didnt know what was going to happen....
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a shit series finale. I actually enjoyed most of the sixth season, but this was simply an awful way to end a show that has been on the air for like 8 years.

Last edited by flashburn; 06-11-07 at 05:03 AM.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good finale, but not nearly as good as The Blue Comet. I get what Chase was going for with the ending but come on, that's it? I guess the major bummer is just that a show I've been invested in for the last 8 years is finally gone. I really hope they do something else in a few years. Maybe a movie, maybe a longer special... just something.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All we know is that someone entered the diner and the bell rang. Probably Meadow, but maybe actually Tony's fate. Brilliant.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
If you haven't seen it, start from S1: E1 and get back to us. Don't let the finale change your mind...it was one of the best series on tv, ever.

-p
Exactly, the "good riddance" quotes are unfounded... if you hate the show so much, dont watch it... while I wish the series could have carried on the same quality of the first couple seasons, it was still better than 99.9% of the crap on tv
Old 06-10-07, 09:31 PM

Sweet Jesus

I've always loved the Sopranos. I would hang in there on the unresolved story lines, what seemed like never ending waits for the new seasons. The last episode showed so much promise then this ending happened.

Much like everyone else my heart was pounding and then.... nothing. Kinda ironic just like the last few seasons. Great storylines that just never have any closure.

I literally feel like David Chase walked into my house and said, "Thanks for buying my DVD's and being such a loyal fan" Then he proceeded to kick me in the balls with all his might.

Thanks David, for selling out so you can make a movie or whatever else you feel you can do with it. The least you could have done for the fans who were so loyal the last 7 yrs or so was end the show. If I wanted to write my own ending I'd write my own show.
DVD Talk Legend

I know that I am in the vast minority here, but I loved the ending. Very suspenseful, and we will never know what, if anything, happened. Lots of foreshadowing, but no followthrough. I'm fine with that
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Recap anyone? No HBO for me!! :-(

AJ: "Try and remember the times that were good."
Tony: "Well, that's true, I guess..."

Is this Chase's message to 'Sopranos' viewers, too?

I don't think I'll fully appreciate this finale until I've watched it again, but I know there's a logic, a deeper meaning to it. There always was with this show, which is why it's my favorite of all time.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Between me yelling at the screen during Phil's hit ("Go Walden!") and the literal palpitations of the final scene, this episode affected me more than any show in years. What more do you want from a television show? Yet apparently it sucked balls. I guess I'm just a freak.
Phil's hit was awesome (maybe the best in the show's history?) and I haven't been more nervous watching a non-sporting event than I was in the final 5 minutes. It just would have been nice if they'd given us something. Hell even just a shot of the suspicious guy exiting the bathroom right as Meadow pushed open the door... that could have been the perfect ending.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Half of the people wanted Tony whacked, half wanted him to grow old and die naturally. However Chase would have ended it, half the audience would be pissed they didn't get their way. With the setup of this final scene, the ending can be whatever it is you want it to be -- whacking or living happily ever after.

That's pretty much the basis of good art - allowing the viewer to interpret it the way they want, and is significant to them, not necessarily the way the artist wants it to be seen.

Kudos to Chase for having some artistic balls and not catering to the folks that need everything wrapped up with a bow on top.
If I wanted to "interpret" art, I'd go to a gallery or read a book. This wasn't a ballsy ending, it was a lack-of-ballsy ending.
Registered

Leading up to this HBO has been promoting that this was "The Last Episode of The Sopranos... EVER". So I doubt we'll see more. This is it folks, warts and all.

Oh well. I won't let 30 seconds of frustration spoil an 8 season series.
Old 06-10-07, 09:32 PM
Suspended

I knew this wouldn't be popular, but that is the most perfect ending this show could have had. Did those two guys whack Tony and/or his family? Do they live happily ever after? The resolution is up to you, to make your own based on your own morality(?). Perfect.
If the resolution is up to me then I want a lofty paycheck from HBO.
Old 06-10-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Half of the people wanted Tony whacked, half wanted him to grow old and die naturally. However Chase would have ended it, half the audience would be pissed they didn't get their way. With the setup of this final scene, the ending can be whatever it is you want it to be -- whacking or living happily ever after.

That's pretty much the basis of good art - allowing the viewer to interpret it the way they want, and is significant to them, not necessarily the way the artist wants it to be seen.

Kudos to Chase for having some artistic balls and not catering to the folks that need everything wrapped up with a bow on top.
I can't believe the majority of people wanted to see Tony live or die of natural causes - he was a grade A scumbag.

And the rest? pfft, but for your opinion then your thought of Chase better mean that there is never a future mention, nod, etc. for this series. And I highly doubt that. Very high standards for an 'artist'.

What a waste in my opinion.

Originally Posted by joefrog91
What the hell did Agent Harris mean when he said, "We're going to win this one!" Did he mean that they would finally be able to convict Tony?
Since Agent Harris works out of New Jersey, I think he was referring to Tony's crew in New Jersey winning over the New York crew.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gkleinman
Leading up to this HBO has been promoting that this was "The Last Episode of The Sopranos... EVER". So I doubt we'll see more. This is it folks, warts and all.

Oh well. I won't let 30 seconds of frustration spoil an 8 season series.
yeah maybe your right [borat] not!!! [borat]
Old 06-10-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I was pissed at the ending...then after it sunk in for a few minutes, I actually think it was a great ending. No answers. Life ain't black & white, and you can make of it whatever you want.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joefrog91
What the hell did Agent Harris mean when he said, "We're going to win this one!" Did he mean that they would finally be able to convict Tony?
He meant that Tony's side, which he now considers himself a part of (for good reason) was going to win the war. I thought that was a nice touch and I wonder how common that sort of thing is among law enforcement officers that get so close to the people they are investigating.
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shaqIQ1
Since Agent Harris works out of New Jersey, I think he was referring to Tony's crew in New Jersey winning over the New York crew.
That's how I took it. He identifies with Tony.
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quake1028
That was the WORST series finale I have ever seen.
Worse than Seinfeld?
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
At first I was pissed at the ending...then after it sunk in for a few minutes, I actually think it was a great ending. No answers. Life ain't black & white, and you can make of it whatever you want.

a mob story with an artistic ending.....
Old 06-10-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

David Chase is such a cock tease.

I took Agent Harris's quote at the end as he was rooting for Tony.

I took it as Tony is dead. The final shot is Tony's perspective and he's shot as Meadow enters, hence the blackness.

Wait, wait.....

What was real in the end??? When he walks in, he has the leather jacket on with a dark greenish shirt.....and when we (he) sees himself sit down, he has that black/white shirt on....

So what is real, and what is not???

Last edited by Michael Sheridan; 06-10-07 at 09:37 PM.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly, the "good riddance" quotes are unfounded... if you hate the show so much, dont watch it...
Hmmmmm. Yeah, ok....you've got a deal. No more Sopranos for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.