Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugg
Build something up and not have a payoff. That's exactly what I was expecting, It's the only thing this has done the last few years.
I think a lightbulb just went off above J.J. Abrams's head tonight.
Old 06-10-07, 09:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I don't mind the fact that there wasn't a Sam Peckinpaw shootout even though after all these years it would've been nice to have some sort of closure. However, that ending was the absolute pits. And the episode itself was no great shakes, this whole mini-season has been mostly A.J. Eh, fuck it.
I didn't need a shootout, but the family sitting down to dinner together would have been nice.
Old 06-10-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, terrible ending
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
I think a lightbulb just went off above J.J. Abrams's head tonight.
DVD Talk Hero

If you haven't seen it, start from S1: E1 and get back to us. Don't let the finale change your mind...it was one of the best series on tv, ever.

-p
Old 06-10-07, 09:24 PM

I'll do a write up tomorrow morning; but this finale was nowhere near as bad as you guys are saying... If anything, I think the last minutes of the show were excellent.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I didn't need a shootout, but the family sitting down to dinner together would have been nice.
Exactly...
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was until the series finale put no closure to this freaking series..... this is pathetic...
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
So I guess I don't need to see any other episodes of this show? Is that what everyone's recommending?
The first 4 seasons or so were great. It's been kind of hit and miss since then.

I honestly didn't hate the ending, but I certainly didn't love it. I kind of like the ambiguity, but feel like there should have at least been some payoff.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm watching this episode like I've watched every other episode for the past 6 or so years and I came to the realization that I had no idea who half of these characters were. The guy that was going to testify against Tony, I have no idea who he is.

Didn't like the finale at all
Old 06-10-07, 09:25 PM

I think the cat symbolized that Paulie's jinx would come to fruition. Paulie went on and on about how every guy who took over Ralph's crew was killed. Then you had the cat staring at the late Christopher's picture even when Paulie moved the photo to a diff location. Finally, Paulie agrees to take the job and what happens? The cat winds up staring at HIM. Paulie's a goner.
DVD Talk Hero

Half of the people wanted Tony whacked, half wanted him to grow old and die naturally. However Chase would have ended it, half the audience would be pissed they didn't get their way. With the setup of this final scene, the ending can be whatever it is you want it to be -- whacking or living happily ever after.

That's pretty much the basis of good art - allowing the viewer to interpret it the way they want, and is significant to them, not necessarily the way the artist wants it to be seen.

Kudos to Chase for having some artistic balls and not catering to the folks that need everything wrapped up with a bow on top.
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Mordred
The first 4 seasons or so were great. It's been kind of hit and miss since then.
That's because Chase always envisioned the show as a 4 season show, and then HBO begged, cajoled, and practically bribed him to do more seasons.
Old 06-10-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I don't know about anyone else, but my heart was beating out of my chest during that whole scene. Perfect tension with nothing other than what could be shots of innocent diners enjoying their dinner. Awesome.
Agreed. The last 5 minutes had me on complete edge. I was almost to the point where I was gonna leave the room, wait for it to end, and then just go back and watch just the last 30 seconds on the DVR.
Old 06-10-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jackepstein
I'll do a write up tomorrow morning; but this finale was nowhere near as bad as you guys are saying... If anything, I think the last minutes of the show were excellent.
Sure the last few mins were good until the abrupt ending, but the show was an hour and five minutes. With the exception of that, the cat, and Phil getting caught, nothing else happened.

Also loved how AJ, after all his whining, wound up selling out big time...just like an American.

Is it just me or did the guy who came in the diner in the trucker hat and sat in the booth alone look like Robert Patrick's character. I was thinking how messed up it would be if he came back for revenge for ruining his life. And when the guy went to the bathroom, all I saw was the Godfather.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Half of the people wanted Tony whacked, half wanted him to grow old and die naturally. However Chase would have ended it, half the audience would be pissed they didn't get their way. With the setup of this final scene, the ending can be whatever it is you want it to be -- whacking or living happily ever after.

That's pretty much the basis of good art - allowing the viewer to interpret it the way they want, and is significant to them, not necessarily the way the artist wants it to be seen.

Kudos to Chase for having some artistic balls and not catering to the folks that need everything wrapped up with a bow on top.

creative it was....in the sense it left you guessing... but hell with no movie in sight and a finale so driven in pushing topics.... this is no where its supposed to be
DVD Talk Hero

Between me yelling at the screen during Phil's hit ("Go Walden!") and the literal palpitations of the final scene, this episode affected me more than any show in years. What more do you want from a television show? Yet apparently it sucked balls. I guess I'm just a freak.
Old 06-10-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
You also have to realize these comments are coming just moments after watching. I'm willing to bet after thinking over the episode for the next day or two people's minds might change...then again, maybe not.

I have to admit, I thought the last few minutes were pretty good.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daryl
Agreed. The last 5 minutes had me on complete edge. I was almost to the point where I was gonna leave the room, wait for it to end, and then just go back and watch just the last 30 seconds on the DVR.
It would have been awesome if you had paused it right as Meadow got to the door of the restaurant.
Banned by request

I'm more of a fan of ambiguity in art than most, but there's a difference between having an ambiguous conclusion and having no conclusion. And if you're right about half the audience being mad one way or the other, than I take this as artistic cowardice. Chase didn't want to make half his audience mad, so he just has no ending? Come on. You said you like David Lynch, but even Lynch's most obtuse works actually had conclusions, even if the conclusions weren't what you might have expected.
Banned

"There'll be people who will like the finale, and people who won't like it. But I think that if people look at what the show was, or could even watch the whole story again, they'll understand what the ending is."
-David Chase
Old 06-10-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell did Agent Harris mean when he said, "We're going to win this one!" Did he mean that they would finally be able to convict Tony?
Old 06-10-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If Chase had the show end with Tony ballet dancing with the pink hippos from Fantasia, I'm guessing the usual posters here would be proclaiming it genius and letting the rest of know we don't get the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.