DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/502918-final-sopranos-made-america-06-10-07-warning-spoilers.html)

raven56706 06-12-07 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I just don't know man. So in essence, the Sopranos ends with Tony munching on an onion ring. It also makes no sense why the exact event happens that was mentioned in two previous episodes.


you just hit...the ending is him eating an onion ring.... soprano's ends with tony munching on an onion ring.... would have been nice if he was biting on a cheese steak sandwich

Quake1028 06-12-07 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I just don't know man. So in essence, the Sopranos ends with Tony munching on an onion ring. It also makes no sense why the exact event happens that was mentioned in two previous episodes.

I'm in the camp that believes that Chase really didn't know how he wanted to end this thing. I mean, 21 months to think of an ending? Come on. I think the end was to signify that life will go on for the Soprano family, but we can see the toll that recent and future events have taken on Tony.

DVD Josh 06-12-07 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by Quake1028
I'm in the camp that believes that Chase really didn't know how he wanted to end this thing. I mean, 21 months to think of an ending? Come on. I think the end was to signify that life will go on for the Soprano family, but we can see the toll that recent and future events have taken on Tony.

I think this is exactly right. He had no idea. How active of a role has he played with the Sopranos since the early seasons? I feel like he might have lost touch with the characters.

I will give Chase a modicum of credit: no matter what he did, there would be detractors. But to do nothing, to just stop the story, seems like a cop-out to me.

lotsofdvds 06-12-07 10:17 AM


Originally Posted by Thos19
Pardon me, In my OPINION, it was foreshadowing of what Chase intended to use for the final scene.

I never said that this was stated by anyone as fact. :rolleyes:

Thos.

No, what I'm saying is that you can't say "you never see it coming, it just suddenly goes black" was clever foreshadowing because the line of dialogue wasn't in the series.

Dignam 06-12-07 10:34 AM


Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This should end all the debate. This is what CHASE HIMSELF says about the finale scene.

"Anybody who wants to watch it, it's all there," says Chase.

:thumbsup:

It should, but it won't. The show simply ended, and Chase chose not to put a final stamp on it. Instead, we get Tony eating onion rings.. I don't care if Chase even goes on the record about who walked in the door of the diner, the fact is we didn't see anything other than what's on screen. There's nothing to reveal in an interview, if he'd wanted more than what he wrote, produced, and aired, it would have been in the show.

For all we know, Meadow was in Baltimore running towards another diner to meet with an old friend. (Just like Ryan's phone call on the season finale of The Office, we don't know for sure who he was talking to until they reveal it next season.) The Sopranos has no more story left, so we don't know what isn't there. Some may pretend or even interpret it to mean what they want to walk away happy, but it doesn't insert words into the script or scenes into a show that's over.

Oh, and it also won't end the debate because that's impossible. This is the internets. :lol:

Numanoid 06-12-07 10:35 AM

After reading this complete thread, I've made a few decisions about who to take and who not to take on my next trip to the art museum. "What the f*** is with that smile on the Mona Lisa?! Is it even a smile? Why couldn't DaVinci just say what she's thinking? Why do I have to stand here and figure it out? If I have to interpret it, I want a check from Leonardo! What a cop-out!" :lol:

ASAPadam 06-12-07 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by rennervision
The onion rings = communion. Kind of a "Last Supper" before their final moments.

Meadow didn't take "communion" and because the camera kept focusing on her parallel parking, the implication is she was late and (to her advantage) therefore survived. Her coming through the door was the last thing Tony saw.

I agree, but it's not so much a Last Supper as Last Rites, the sacrament given a Catholic shortly before he or she dies (although it's now called the sacrament of the sick and dying).

From the website sacramentofthesickanddying.com: "If the person is in all likelihood dying then they will be given the Eucharist and this is then known as the Viaticum and it is a final meal for the final life journey thru death."

There's a reason Chase showed closeups of all three at the table placing the rings in their mouths, one at a time. (My years as an altar boy have paid off...)

From wikipedia: The word viaticum is a Latin word meaning "provisions for a journey," from via, or "way."

Journey? Ha...

Numanoid 06-12-07 10:36 AM

You'll notice that they all place the ring into their mouth in the style of a communion wafer as well. None of them just take a bite, something you'd really expect a woman to do, for instance.

Shannon Nutt 06-12-07 10:40 AM

Not that his opinion is worth more than anyone else's (that's the magic of Chase's finale), but Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore chimed in with his opinion. Posting a link because it pretty much sums up how I feel as well:

http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/arc...007/06/#003055

DVD Josh 06-12-07 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by Numanoid
You'll notice that they all place the ring into their mouth in the style of a communion wafer as well. None of them just take a bite, something you'd really expect a woman to do, for instance.

:rotfl :

x a billion.

dick_grayson 06-12-07 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by Numanoid
You'll notice that they all place the ring into their mouth in the style of a communion wafer as well. None of them just take a bite, something you'd really expect a woman to do, for instance.


I noticed that at the time and thought it was odd. You could be right (I'm not saying you're wrong, by the way).

Quake1028 06-12-07 10:46 AM


Originally Posted by Numanoid
After reading this complete thread, I've made a few decisions about who to take and who not to take on my next trip to the art museum. "What the f*** is with that smile on the Mona Lisa?! Is it even a smile? Why couldn't DaVinci just say what she's thinking? Why do I have to stand here and figure it out? If I have to interpret it, I want a check from Leonardo! What a cop-out!" :lol:

-rolleyes- You are trying way too hard and come off as very elitist and pretentious.

Michael Ballack 06-12-07 10:47 AM

David Chase gave me blue balls and didn't relieve them for me.
David Chase let me stick the tip in, but then I had to stop all of the sudden.
David Chase let me go to a strip club, but then I had to come home and not jerk off or have sex.
David Chase gave me a little nibble of a nice juicy tasty steak, then he let me starve for the rest of the night.

:mad: :grumble: :mad2: :suicide:

rennervision 06-12-07 10:47 AM


Originally Posted by ASAPadam
I agree, but it's not so much a Last Supper as Last Rites, the sacrament given a Catholic before he or she dies (although it's now called the sacrament of the sick and dying).

Thanks. I'm not Catholic so I think that actually helps clarify what I saw. I think it was just too unusual the way each one placed the entire onion ring in their mouths. It seemed to be deliberately intended as a metaphor for the Last Rites as you say.

GeoffK 06-12-07 10:53 AM

Time for Part II

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7921843


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.