Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Old 06-11-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phil's death was the highlight for me.....and the dude puking was the icing on the cake. I wasn't really bothered with the ending. I like not being sure.....although I hope it's completely over (no movie, Broadway play, action figures...etc).
Old 06-11-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm glad that one guy (forget his name) got to shoot Phil, because didn't Phil & his goons kick the [email protected])#* out of that kid a while back?
Old 06-11-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

overall = dogshit.

didn't feel like a series finale AT ALL. had the whole 'just another episode' feeling the entire time, which was a bit of a let down.

there were things about the episode that i LOVED, and i'll give credit where credit is due:

phil's death scene. fantastic. 'say bye bye to grandpa!' followed by the pops and the suv crushing his head.. great, great stuff.

the scene with tony and uncle june. wow. one of the most emotional scenes in recent history. tony looking like he's on the brink of tears when he realized june has no idea who he is.. very moving.

the cat = spirit of adrianna.

the whole final sequence (with the exception of the ending) was amazing. the way the tension was building with every second was phenomonal. it had you on the edge of your seat the entire time. and then.... nothing.

the abrupt ending killed it. it just seemed awkward and out of place, and all of america thought their cable went out at the worst possible moment.

when meadow was having trouble parking her car, i expected her to walk in just in time to see tony be killed. i also thought she might be run over when running across the street, but whatever..

i hated where it ended. i'll even follow chase's lead and tell you what i would have been more satisfied with:

get meadow into the fucking place. sit her down at the table with everyone. have the guy walk out of the bathroom on his way back. tony looks up at him, and you see everyone else look up at him as well. fade to black.

sure, i'd probably still be bitching today, but i just thought that ending it with meadow at the door was awfully weird.

*maybe* tony was killed. in the opening of season 6.2, tony and bobby were in the boat talking about how all you see is black when it ends. but you know what? i don't want to hear anything about the ending being left up to the interpretation of the viewer. fuck. that. i don't get paid to write the fucking show. you wrote it, you tell me what the fuck happens! shit, if it were up to me, it would have started raining while meadow was parking her car, she would have gotten out, walked into the middle of the street, and taken all her clothes off, carressing herself in the rain. but again, i didn't write the show. tell me how it ends.

seems fucking retarded for a show that has NEVER DONE CLIFFHANGERS, to give you a fucking cliffhanger to end the series.

not to mention that the entire episode was extremely fucking jumpy.

before season 6.2 started, i had a conversation with a friend.. i told him that whether it was fair or not, the sopranos finale would have to be judged/compared to the six feet under finale (which i believe was the best finale in television history).

well, i won't be losing any sleep trying to decide which one was better, that's for sure.

a great final (half) season, which will unfortunately be clouded by an extremely mediocre finale.

Old 06-11-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, if we are to believe he was wacked at the restaurant, how did the people wacking him know to set it up there? That wasn't a planned place to go, etc. etc. How would they know to look for, or be waiting for him, at that restaurant?

If that scene had been at the friends restaurant, then sure, they know he goes there all the time, etc. etc.

And I still don't like that we see these other people as a restaurant and we are supposed to be sucked into Tony's mind and be thinking and watching out to get wacked, etc. etc. I really think at that place and after the NY stuff is resolved he wouldn't be thinking all paranoid and looking at everybody in the place as somebody out to get him.

That very well be one thing they were trying to create, but I don't think it works well. Just my opinion.

The stuff with the son was annoying as hell also. All in one episode he goes from being the moody little prick he has been the last few episodes, to being all gung ho on the military, to selling out those beliefs to his parents offer. All in one hour. That was too rushed and all over the place for one episode. I really didn't care for that story line all season. They haven't done much with him the last couple of years and I didn't really care for all the attention his story line was given. That story line would have worked better if it wasn't rushed and had the chance to play out over a full length season, not crammed into the final 8.
Old 06-11-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IIG
This will be debated forever with fans of the show, but I think the people in the Tony died camp are going to have a hard time explaining why we didn't hear a shot. I understand the whole conversation with Bobby about probably not hearing it (death) when it comes, but it would make no sense for us to be looking through Tony's eyes without so much as a gunshot before the black screen comes in. Even in his point of view, he would have heard the gunshot, even if not having enough time to find out what the noise really was.
A bullet travels faster than the speed of sound. Tony would NOT have heard the shot.
Old 06-11-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The more I reflect on it, the more I find myself liking what Chase has obviously done. I think the answer is that every possible outcome people have speculated on is true. If you think about it, any of the proposed endings work. The black could easily signify Tony being whacked, or the viewer being whacked. I tend to side with the latter. Chase has always used music to play a major role in aiding with understanding events in the series. The lyrics to "Don't Stop Believing" lead me to believe that it ALL goes on. Tony's problems with the feds, worrying about getting whacked, trying to keep his family together, living the American dream... eventually something is going to take him out, and he knows it. His fate is having to constantly worry about living, never really taking time to enjoy what he's got. Even a family dinner is filled with tension because of who he is.
Old 06-11-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 157 Posts
In my opinion there is little doubt that Tony got whacked. As Meadow came thru the door, her eyes grew really big like something was going down.

As much as Chase wants to leave the ending open to interpretation, I call shenanigans on that. It's bullshit. Just give us the ending that YOU wanted Chase. We can live with it.

Last edited by Rob V; 06-11-07 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-11-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
A bullet travels faster than the speed of sound. Tony would NOT have heard the shot.
Especially if a silencer were used.
Old 06-11-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh yeah, and if we are to believe he is all paranoid and checking over his sholder, why wouldn't he sit in a corner or someplace were he would have a better view and not have it so somebody could come up behind him, etc. etc.

Just a bad scene.
Old 06-11-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
In my opinion there is little doubt that Tony got whacked. As Meadow came thru the door, her eyes grew really big like something was going down.
we didn't see Meadow come thru the door, we only heard the sound of the door open and then Tony looking up.
Old 06-11-07, 11:45 AM

I wonder how many people cancelled their HBO subscription now that "The Sopranos" is finished?
Old 06-11-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, they sure didn't.
Old 06-11-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Total suckfest. I kept rewinding the TiVo to see if there was a problem or something and didn't realize that was the ending until I read that everyone else had the same thing happen.

I like to think that Tony and his family went on their merry way and all was well and that the black ending was just the writing trying to be clever somehow. Over all, it sucked, especially with the Journey song (because Journey totally bites).
Old 06-11-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

by the way, I hate Journey and thought the use of it for the end was retarded.
Old 06-11-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
This would only be true if the muzzle was pressed against him. If you enter any distance into the equation, it becomes less likely.
Old 06-11-07, 12:08 PM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Journey might suck (they are possibly my least favorite band ever), but as Steve van Zandt has pointed out, they're just the sort of band who Tony and Carmella would have listened to as teenagers, and would probably still listen to today. The more I think about the ending the more I think it was brilliant. As opposed to the Six Feet Under ending (which as also brilliant) we learn nothing about the future of the characters.
Old 06-11-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've watched the ending several times. I kind of like it. Although I did expect something somewhat Six Feet Under-ish.

However, I can understand how many of you find this upsetting. This show can easily be seen as a bigger fraud than even Geraldo's Al Capone's Vaults.
Old 06-11-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
The more I reflect on it, the more I find myself liking what Chase has obviously done. I think the answer is that every possible outcome people have speculated on is true. If you think about it, any of the proposed endings work. The black could easily signify Tony being whacked, or the viewer being whacked. I tend to side with the latter. Chase has always used music to play a major role in aiding with understanding events in the series. The lyrics to "Don't Stop Believing" lead me to believe that it ALL goes on. Tony's problems with the feds, worrying about getting whacked, trying to keep his family together, living the American dream... eventually something is going to take him out, and he knows it. His fate is having to constantly worry about living, never really taking time to enjoy what he's got. Even a family dinner is filled with tension because of who he is.

You get it. Most here don't.

The last sound we here is of the sound of a needle scratching a record as it's removed. The same sound we here at the beginning of each episode when we "enter" the Sopranos' lives, the final sound is Chase's way of saying "the record ISN'T over (i.e. the Soprano saga/journey), but that's all you get to hear/see".
Old 06-11-07, 12:13 PM

I'm starting to think more and more that Tony getting killed was not a possibility. The big "hits" in the show are well planned out at places they know that the target's hang out at, or go to every week or something. There was no one who wanted Tony killed anyway, and we've never seen him at that restaurant before. The tension was only on the viewer, not Tony.
Old 06-11-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cancelled HBO this morning. I'm thinking I'll sell off my previous Sopranos DVD sets as well. This show is pretty much dead to me.
Old 06-11-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as Chase wants to leave the ending open to interpretation, I call shenanigans on that. It's bullshit. Just give us the ending that YOU wanted Chase. We can live with it.

her eyes grew because she was hungry and really wanted those onion rings
Old 06-11-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

never watched six feet under and dont plan on it.... can someone give me a quick recap of the series finale...
Old 06-11-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
never watched six feet under and dont plan on it.... can someone give me a quick recap of the series finale...
but put it in a spoiler as some people (me) are watching it on dvd for the first time
Old 06-11-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Spoiler:
As you know, it's a series about a family that runs a funeral home. Every episode opens with a death, which is typically worked into the storyline, such as a client at the funeral parlor. There's always a fade to white, and the vicitm's name and years of life, like John Doe 1965-2005, etc...

In the finale, the young daughter moves away, heading off to a promising arts career back east, driving cross-country in her adapted hearse-mobile. As she travels, we get to see a montages of the rest of the lives, and the deaths, of all the major characters, including her own. We see the title cards for each. Most of them live lives as fulfilling as we could have hoped. That doesn't do it justice, but that's the idea.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-11-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

gotcha..... nice to see a series with how the rest of the people live in the future... unfortunately, this was shitty

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.