Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Old 06-10-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm completely satisfied.

Does everything have to be spoon fed and underlined? Then again, I like David Lynch films, so my opinion is probably worthless.
My favorite director is David Lynch, but this season and the previous two were shite. It has nothing to do with being spoon fed, nothing happend. Hell season 4 could have been wrapped up in one episode. This was a cop-out, trying and failing to be art. Kinda like Andy Warhol.
Old 06-10-07, 11:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No-one talks about Tony's apparent disregard for his life thruout the episode. He's going to Janice's house. He's going to Carmela's stupid beach house. He's out in the open, for god sakes ...

Anyway. They shouldnt have had Chase write the final episode. So many of his underlings (Winter, Van Patten etc) were the masterminds this year. Its like I said earlier. Having Chase end the show was like Larry David ending Seinfeld when he was out of the loop.
Old 06-10-07, 11:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Damn. No gratuitous nude shot of Meadow. The dream continues.
Old 06-10-07, 11:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saoirse
My favorite director is David Lynch, but this season and the previous two were shite. It has nothing to do with being spoon fed, nothing happend. Hell season 4 could have been wrapped up in one episode. This was a cop-out, trying and failing to be art. Kinda like Andy Warhol.
Woah. Woah woah woah woah. Woah. Don't you go attacking Andy Warhol now. The man was a genius.
Old 06-10-07, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'm guessing a lot of people are really pissed off right now.

At least Chase did something nobody was expecting.
But, I could make the same statement if chase was eating at a nice resturant, stood up, climbed up on the table, lowered his pants and layed a huge steamer on his dinner plate.

I love The Sopranos, but that ranks as one of the worst series finales I've ever seen. Most shows just don't know how to end.
Old 06-10-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'd like to see the final frame of Meadow walking in the door just to see if she has any kind of expression on her face.
The last shot was of Tony looking up. We never got to see Meadow.
Old 06-10-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Apparently, angry fans have crashed HBO's website:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...h-hbo-website/
Awesome, she linked my Chase interview in the first graf.

But back to the episode, I think some of the negative feelings are simply feeding into an overall disappointment with how the last few seasons in general have played out. If we didn't have so many weak episodes, then I don't think people would be throwing so much anger at the series finale. There's a sense that people were hoping for absolute resolutions in the finale because we just didn't get many during the show's last few years. If we did have strong eps with resolutions, then I think people would be fine with this.

I, for one, had a wtf reaction when it ended, but looking back I'm beginning to like the way Chase played it out.

Last edited by BJacks; 06-10-07 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 11:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We see Meadow walking up to the restaurant, looking like she's in a hurry.
Old 06-10-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 70 Posts
Ahh OK. There was something said earlier in the thread that made me think the last shot was Ton'y POV of the door before black.
Old 06-10-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BJacks
Awesome, she linked my Chase interview in the first graf.
She seems to give herself credit for it.
Old 06-10-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In all honesty, I felt like this last episode was more a negative portrait of the condition of the United States than anything else. Self indulgent, feds chasing their tails hunting extremists, stuffing onion rings into our faces, laughing at our President, spouting off about how to fight terrorism while putting our energy into pursuing capitalist desires to excess instead. It went on and on while leaving us just simply wanting a resolution to a television show. Could that have been his point? Does he prefer that the fans care more about the state of the union than they do about Tony Soprano?
Old 06-10-07, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
She seems to give herself credit for it.
In the link mention, yeah kinda, but when you click through she gives true citation. Woulda been nice if she linked to my actual story though.
Old 06-10-07, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnnysd
The ending is what you want it to be. If you think Tony just got killed, then he did, for you. If you think they just set down to dinner and the screwy life of the Sopranos goes on it did. It's not high art or brilliant or anything, just one way to end a series that could never end in a way that would please even the majority.
Again, if the ending is up to me, then I want a paycheck from HBO.
Old 06-10-07, 11:21 PM

I had to rewind my DVR a couple of times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Was that female cop that walked out of the bathroom bottomless?

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone actually think David Chase wrote this episode with a conclusion to Tony's life in mind? If he did, it would have been filmed, and we would have seen it.
I think his intentions were exactly what we saw tonight.
Leaving it up to the viewer and letting everyone speculate, which is what is exactly happening.
Banned

That's the beauty of it. If that's how you want it to end, that's how it ends.
Isn't that a little like saying that you could make a film filled with portions that are just blackness and say that's for the audience to fill in what the story is...?

I'm watching a show because I'm looking for a good story. If I want to make up my own, I'll sit here at the computer and write one, (not that I'm saying it would be good).

Sorry, no sale.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I think I'm almost starting to take some kind of perverse pleasure in the fact that so many people here are hating it.
Just as I have always had that same perverse pleasure in the Emperor's New Clothes attitude that so many people have.
Old 06-10-07, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by tikigod
I had to rewind my DVR a couple of times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Was that female cop that walked out of the bathroom bottomless?
Pretty sure she was wearing underwear.

But anyway, as usual Alan Sepinwall has a great wrap-up column:
http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/06/sop...in_americ.html
Old 06-10-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved the whole "Made in America" concept, itself a double entendre and beautifully executed throughout the episode. As for the ending, I don't have a big problem with it. It's a little obvious and "look at me", but I'm fine with it. It's entirely in keeping with the style of this show, and it created good tension at the end of a relatively meandering episode. Still, having spent this weekend watching the 5th season of Six Feet Under, crippled once again by its gut-wrenchingly brilliant finale, I find it incredibly difficult to get worked up one way or the other by this episode.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 06-10-07 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So in the end..we still don't know what happens.

Nice.
Old 06-10-07, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BJacks

But anyway, as usual Alan Sepinwall has a great wrap-up column:
http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/06/sop...in_americ.html
Yeah, really great piece. I think he puts it in perspective very well.

Thanks for the link.
Old 06-10-07, 11:41 PM

How many times has Journey been used in Sopranos? I can think of at least one other instance back in season two: "Wheel in the Sky" played when Tony took AJ out on the boat and turned it towards home as the sun was setting on the horizon (before fading to black for the credits). Still one of my favorite shots from any television show.
Old 06-10-07, 11:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" - Johnny Rotten 1/14/78
Old 06-10-07, 11:48 PM
Banned

As the final scene was unfolding, it was becoming perfectly clear to me what was happening and by the time it cut to black with Journey's line, "Don't Stop..." and the moments of blackness then silent credits, I was sure the diner was no more. The nervous guy at the bar waiting for his moment to head to the bathroom. Looks middle-eastern. Could be connected to the terrorists that Tony has been helping to get nabbed. Could be a suicide-bomber sent in to wipe out Tony. The family is collateral damage. Meadow would be a bonus if she could figure out how to parallel park already. She finally parks and is running across the street. Tony looks up. "Don't Stop..." The song is cut off because the jukebox is gone. The diner is gone. The family is gone. The Sopranos are gone.

That's how it ended for me and I got chills.
Old 06-10-07, 11:51 PM
Banned

Half of the people wanted Tony whacked, half wanted him to grow old and die naturally. However Chase would have ended it, half the audience would be pissed they didn't get their way. With the setup of this final scene, the ending can be whatever it is you want it to be -- whacking or living happily ever after.

That's pretty much the basis of good art - allowing the viewer to interpret it the way they want, and is significant to them, not necessarily the way the artist wants it to be seen.

Kudos to Chase for having some artistic balls and not catering to the folks that need everything wrapped up with a bow on top.
Ok......

This is a representation of the most beautiful object in the world --

>*<

How does everyone interpret it?

Wow, I'm an artist!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.