Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Am I the only one who noticed that when Tony entered the diner, he was wearing a leather jacket and a different color shirt. He pauses to find a table, and then right after we see him sitting down, no jacket in sight, and a different color shirt on.

You would think, especially in that tension filled scene, they would show every single detail, including Tony finding a table and sitting down, but no, they cut right to him already having a table.

Or maybe i'm just looking too far into this.
Old 06-10-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Am I the only one who noticed that when Tony entered the diner, he was wearing a leather jacket and a different color shirt. He pauses to find a table, and then right after we see him sitting down, no jacket in sight, and a different color shirt on.

You would think, especially in that tension filled scene, they would show every single detail, including Tony finding a table and sitting down, but no, they cut right to him already having a table.

You aren't, that's the first thing I noticed. I was thinking at the time that maybe Tony was watching what could have happened in another timeline.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The jacket was on the bench next to him and the shirt looked the same to me.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If you wait long enough someone will interpret that for you. Sounds like pure laziness on your part for not doing that for yourself.
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that this is exactly the significance of the prolonged blackness. But if you want to imagine them going on with dinner, you can do that too and justify it to yourself adequately. Pretty obvious, but pretty ambiguous too. I love it.
And the more I think about it, the less ambiguous I think it is. Especially with the line in that earlier episode, and then it being repeated one episode prior. The fact that the show has so often ended a season with the family having dinner with a song over it tells me that the lack of the song, combined with the "you don't even hear it" line, means that Tony gets it.
Old 06-10-07, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What has always been the knock on sopranos. David chase always leaves everything open and never finishes up a plot line. This was Chase's big FU to the fans. But if not, I think tony got popped and all went black. High drama at the end. Really created a stange mood.
Old 06-10-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Wasn't it also supposed to be a 2 hour finale that got split into 2 episodes? If so, that flashback would have been earlier in the finale.
Old 06-10-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just framed-by-framed it. It's the same shirt.

All the ending is is a big diversion by Chase away from what the show was really about: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE RUSSIAN????????
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
it's arrogant.
Hmmmm...pot, meet kettle.
Old 06-10-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And the more I think about it, the less ambiguous I think it is. Especially with the line in that earlier episode, and then it being repeated one episode prior. The fact that the show has so often ended a season with the family having dinner with a song over it tells me that the lack of the song, combined with the "you don't even hear it" line, means that Tony gets it.
I agree, but it is obviously still ambiguous (just look at the percentage of folks here that buy it).
Old 06-10-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
Hmmmm...pot, meet kettle.
Why am I? Any justification for that personal attack, or is that all we'll get from you?
Old 06-10-07, 10:18 PM

At first I was really disappointed by the ending. But now that I've had time to read some reviews online and reflect a little about it; it's not so bad. We should have totally expected something like this to happen. David Chase has never spoon fed any of The Sopranos to us. There's always been expectations of things we consider logical things we would like to see happen but never do. An ending like this leaves it completely open to our own imagination. Did the shady come out of the bathroom wack Tony? or his entire family? Did Tony get busted for the gun charge? What became of Carlo flipping? Will AJ get more and more involved with the family's business? What will become of Meadow and her becoming a lawyer married to Patrick Parisi?

All good questions that unless there's a Sopranos movie or another season we will just have to work out ourselves.
Old 06-10-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Frankly, I thought the most unrealistic thing about this episode was a first-year attorney wanting to practice public interest law getting $170k from a solo practitioner.
Old 06-10-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That cat looking at Christopher's picture was gold. That was possibly one of my favorite parts of the whole series. This was a fitting end to the show.

The diner scene is pretty fascinating, given the title of the episode ("Made in America") and the stark ending:
Look at the songs on the jukebox that Tony passes up: "Those Were The Days," "Only the Strong Survive," "Victim of Love," "Who Will You Run To?" and Tony Bennett's "I've Gotta Be Me." He passes up Bennett and goes back to Journey (one of the most generic American bands.)

Also, they're in a non-Italian restaurant (a rarity in the series) sitting alongside Boy Scouts, a guy wearing a USA cap, whites, blacks, eating hamburgers and onion rings. It's a very "Americana" ending (and it comes after the funny scene in Little Italy, which turns into Chinatown before you know it.)

The Soprano family, and all of its violence, is (or was?) a part of America.

Leave 'em wanting more...
Old 06-10-07, 10:25 PM

Doesn't everyone see what's happening here? After the initial hatred of the ending dies down we are all left with our own imaginations trying to guess what happened. The ending that David Chase has given us is more than any cliche ending he could have ever written and directed. This final Sopranos episode will be forever talked about, criticized and analyzed for years to come.
Old 06-10-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, angry fans have crashed HBO's website:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...h-hbo-website/
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And I still think you're confusing an understandable desire for closure of some kind with viewer laziness. Viewer laziness is watching The Simple Life. Asking for a little closure on a show that's been running for many years is a simple human desire.
I totally agree with that last part. I mean if the extended black screen was intended to signify that tony got shot or whatever...well I think that's pretty lame, especially that there really was no indication he was about to die. I mean give me someone walking in the diner and tony having a "I just shit my pants" look or something a little more clear cut. I think it's bullshit that we have to study every little detail and assume certain things instead of them just giving us a fitting finale. I guess I'm being lazy or stupid like some have already stated, but hell that's why I spend 10 bucks a month on HBO and not the book of the month club.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
The diner scene is pretty fascinating, given the title of the episode ("Made in America") and the stark ending:
Look at the songs on the jukebox that Tony passes up: "Those Were The Days," "Only the Strong Survive," "Victim of Love," "Who Will You Run To?" and Tony Bennett's "I've Gotta Be Me." He passes up Bennett and goes back to Journey (one of the most generic American bands.)

Also, they're in a non-Italian restaurant (a rarity in the series) sitting alongside Boy Scouts, a guy wearing a USA cap, whites, blacks, eating hamburgers and onion rings. It's a very "Americana" ending (and it comes after the funny scene in Little Italy, which turns into Chinatown before you know it.)

The Soprano family, and all of its violence, is (or was?) a part of America.
Nice.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Leave 'em wanting more...
I tried that with the IRS....and it didn't end so hot.

-p
Old 06-10-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shacmasta
I totally agree with that last part. I mean if the extended black screen was intended to signify that tony got shot or whatever...well I think that's pretty lame, especially that there really was no indication he was about to die.
You can't be serious.
Old 06-10-07, 10:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shacmasta
I guess I'm being lazy or stupid like some have already stated, but hell that's why I spend 10 bucks a month on HBO and not the book of the month club.
That's the best thing anyone has said in this thread.
Old 06-10-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
You can't be serious.
That is an odd one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.