Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Old 06-10-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's like being really hungry, ordering a hamburger, and when they bring it out to the table it's just a empty bun with no meat. Then the cook comes out and says "hey it's art, dammit", and runs away laughing.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I wouldn't have had a problem with a non-ending. Hell I was EXPECTING a non-ending. But this wasn't even a non ending. It was a "What the hell? Freakin' Comcast! I can't believe the cable box... wait, what? It's over? That was the last shot? A jerky jump cut and then black for 30 seconds? I thought the cable went out."
Exactly what was going through my head. Left a sour taste in my mouth at first because it is a very sudden cut and (to me at least) feels a little sloppy editing wise. But the more I think about it the more I like what they did with it.

Originally Posted by gkleinman
Leading up to this HBO has been promoting that this was "The Last Episode of The Sopranos... EVER". So I doubt we'll see more. This is it folks, warts and all.

Oh well. I won't let 30 seconds of frustration spoil an 8 season series.
Remember what happened to 7TH Heaven?

lol
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And I still think you're confusing an understandable desire for closure of some kind with viewer laziness. Viewer laziness is watching The Simple Life. Asking for a little closure on a show that's been running for many years is a simple human desire.
So if we have Bobby and Tony discussing how it happens (when you're whacked)...then recalled again in the last episode...then a strange, prolonged moment of blackness and quiet when the scene has been set up to imply a possible hit......isn't it "lazy" to need to be shown the actual hit rather than make the connection (as we are doing here)? Maybe it's not laziness, just efficiency?
Old 06-10-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Indeed, just watched it again to check. The last thing Tony remembers before sacking out at the safe house was recalling that very conversation. The signs are all there.
Look man, this isn't LOST. It's is ridiculous for Chase to think that anyone but us crazy fans are going to put all these pieces together to figure this out.

He should have had brief flashbacks to those conversations during the episode. The type of viewers that watch the sopranos aren't likely to figure that all out, and it's not fair of him to expect it, it's arrogant.
Old 06-10-07, 09:59 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keith6601
Damn, a friend just pointed out to me. Back when Tony and Bobby were talking in the boat, they talked about "what happens when you die?" and the response was "nothing, it just goes black."
Nope, the closest it gets to that is "you probably don't even hear it when it happens." That's it.
Old 06-10-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to have to go with Neon Genesis Evangelion as having the best series finale ever.
The finale tonight made me want to . Not only was the ending deliberately ambigious, but the political spiel was a big turnoff, too. It's as if Mr. Chase saw the final few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and used its ideas to end the series.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's like being really hungry, ordering a hamburger, and when they bring it out to the table it's just a empty bun with no meat. Then the cook comes out and says "hey it's art, dammit", and runs away laughing.
And then, if you didn't just run out of the place complaining, you begin to realize that there is a nice steak under the bun instead.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I enjoyed it quite alot; my wife's on the "Fuck David Chase" side of the fence, though. She wasn't happy with the ending. If they never shoot another frame, I'm good with it; if we get another series, or a film.........
It would have to be godfather-esque, or ppl will be disappointed.

-p
Old 06-10-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to have to go with Neon Genesis Evangelion as having the best series finale ever.
WTF?!?
Old 06-10-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GeorgeP
I would say Carlo, but he already flipped to the feds.

Carmine Jr.?
Carmine, Jr. never really struck me as the type to make a power play (this was hammered home in Season 5 when he squared off against Sack). I think he's quite content being a mediator for NJ/NY conflicts.
Old 06-10-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Look man, this isn't LOST. It's is ridiculous for Chase to think that anyone but us crazy fans are going to put all these pieces together to figure this out.

He should have had brief flashbacks to those conversations during the episode. The type of viewers that watch the sopranos aren't likely to figure that all out, and it's not fair of him to expect it, it's arrogant.
To overestimate the intelligence of his audience? I'm one of his viewers and frankly, I like using my brain.
Old 06-10-07, 10:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
The finale tonight made me want to . Not only was the ending deliberately ambigious, but the political spiel was a big turnoff, too. It's as if Mr. Chase saw the final few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and used its ideas to end the series.
The ending of The Sopranos is literally nothing like the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion, whether it be the original Japanese TV series ending, or the amended movie version ending.
Old 06-10-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's how I took it. He identifies with Tony.
I took it that, since he was watching footage of the Iraq War, it was sarcasm. His response basically solidified how the actions of a bunch of mafiosos were insignificant to his terrorism investigation. But that was just my interpretation.
Old 06-10-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
I honestly didn't hate the ending, but I certainly didn't love it. I kind of like the ambiguity, but feel like there should have at least been some payoff.
Same here. Way too much on AJ, all over the map w/him sucking up precious minutes. Interesting how it was Agent Harris who gave up Phil, cheering for Tony.
Old 06-10-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And then, if you didn't just run out of the place complaining, you begin to realize that there is a nice steak under the bun instead.
Yeah , but it's a steak they dropped on the floor before they brought it out... and it has a hair on it.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
To overestimate the intelligence of his audience? I'm one of his viewers and frankly, I like using my brain.
It has nothing to do with intelligence. Is it intelligence or art? Or both? Or Lynchian metaphorical allegory?

I give the finale credit, I didn't think Tony was dying until someone mentioned it here. I just went back and watched the end of The Blue Comet they flash back to Bobby saying "you probably don't even hear it when it happens." It is pretty atypical for them to end without a song over the credits. I really do think that was Tony's death.
Old 06-10-07, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Nope, the closest it gets to that is "you probably don't even hear it when it happens." That's it.
Yep, watched the episode a few minutes ago and that is about the only thing said about "death".
Old 06-10-07, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
I took it that, since he was watching footage of the Iraq War, it was sarcasm. His response basically solidified how the actions of a bunch of mafiosos were insignificant to his terrorism investigation. But that was just my interpretation.
I think the deflated look on his face when his partner gave him that "What the fuck?" look showed that he really was rooting for Tony.
Old 06-10-07, 10:06 PM

In the Godfather when Brando was hit he'd just picked up a bag full of oranges. When Uncle June put the hit out on Tony he was drinking orange juice right before the hit happened.

When Tony began peeling an orange in the safe house I was certain he was going to be shot.

That's all I got. Maybe I need some sleep.
Old 06-10-07, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But according to Season 6A, death is a cocktail party in a house Steve Buscemi invites you into.

EDIT: That "orange-peeling" scene was dead-on the same blocking used for Pacino in The Godfather Part II.

He does it when he tells Robert Duvall, "Tom, if history's proven anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Old 06-10-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The more that I think about it, the more that I like the ending. I would have to agree with others that the Six Feet Under Finale is the best Series Finale ever. That Finale changed the way I thought about life for a while. I couldn't sleep as I was thinking about so many things. Eventually, I went back to my old ways and habits, but I thought about that finale for weeks.
Old 06-10-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If there wasn't anybody left that would want to hit Tony, why did most all of us feel the tension that someone was about to?
Old 06-10-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MetalGator311
I give the finale credit, I didn't think Tony was dying until someone mentioned it here. I just went back and watched the end of The Blue Comet they flash back to Bobby saying "you probably don't even hear it when it happens." It is pretty atypical for them to end without a song over the credits. I really do think that was Tony's death.
The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that this is exactly the significance of the prolonged blackness. But if you want to imagine them going on with dinner, you can do that too and justify it to yourself adequately. Pretty obvious, but pretty ambiguous too. I love it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.