Television Critics Association Nominations

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Television Critics Association Nominations

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/urn...cs_dc__ER:2578

NBC leads Television Critics Assn. nominations

Fourth-ranked NBC is first with the TV critics, according to the annual Television Critics Assn. nominations, announced on Tuesday.

The peacock network led all others with 13 noms, including four each for "30 Rock," "Friday Night Lights" and "Heroes."

HBO took second place, collecting eight noms, three of which were for "When the Levees Broke," Spike Lee's documentary on Hurricane Katrina. "The Sopranos," which concludes its run Sunday, garnered two noms, as did "The Wire."

The nominations were compiled from ballots submitted from TCA's 200-plus membership. A second round of voting will produce the winners in each of 11 categories, to be announced during July 21 ceremonies at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.

No current CBS program made the final ballot, but two series from the network's past, "M*A*S*H" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," were nominated for TCA's Heritage award.

ABC was represented with two noms for "Ugly Betty," one for "Lost" and a Heritage mention for TV's first miniseries, "Roots."

PBS received three noms but, surprisingly, none in the children's programming category, which it has dominated in the past. That category included two shows from ABC Family, "Kyle XY" and "Lincoln Heights."

Critics also rewarded Discovery Channel's "Planet Earth" miniseries with three nominations, including the prestigious Program of the Year.

The full list of nominees:

Program of the year: "American Idol" (Fox), "Friday Night Lights" (NBC), "Heroes" (NBC), "Planet Earth" (Discovery), "The Wire" (HBO) and "When the Levees Broke" (HBO).

Achievement in comedy: "30 Rock" (NBC), "The Daily Show" (Comedy Central), "Entourage" (HBO), "The Office" (NBC) and "Ugly Betty" (ABC).

Achievement in drama: "Friday Night Lights" (NBC), "Heroes" (NBC), "Lost" (ABC), "The Sopranos" (HBO) and "The Wire" (HBO).

Achievement in movies, miniseries and specials: "Broken Trail" (AMC), "Planet Earth" (Discovery), "Prime Suspect" (PBS), "The State Within" (BBC America) and "When the Levees Broke" (HBO).

New program of the year: "30 Rock" (NBC), "Dexter" (Showtime), "Friday Night Lights" (NBC), "Heroes" (NBC) and "Ugly Betty."

Individual achievement in comedy: Alec Baldwin ("30 Rock"), Stephen Colbert ("The Colbert Report"), America Ferrara ("Ugly Betty"), Tina Fey ("30 Rock") and Jon Stewart ("The Daily Show").

Individual achievement in drama: Connie Britton ("Friday Night Lights"), Kyle Chandler ("Friday Night Lights"), Michael C. Hall ("Dexter"), Hugh Laurie ("House") and Helen Mirren ("Prime Suspect").

Achievement in children's programming: "Dora the Explorer" (Nickelodeon), "Johnny and the Sprites" (Disney Channel), "Kyle XY" (ABC Family), "Lincoln Heights" (ABC Family) and "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Nickelodeon).

Achievement in news and information: "Baghdad ER" (HBO), "Bill Moyers Journal" (PBS), "Galapagos" (National Geographic), "Planet Earth" (Discovery) and "When the Levees Broke" (HBO).

Heritage award: "M*A*S*H" (CBS), "Roots" (ABC), "Sesame Street" (PBS), "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (CBS) and "The Sopranos" (HBO).

An 11th category, career achievement, also is voted upon by TCA members, but nominees are not disclosed. The winner will be announced at the ceremony in July.
Lots of love for FNL.

I'd go with:

Program of the Year: Planet Earth
Comedy: The Office
Drama: Sopranos (I think these last few eps have been wonderfully done)
New Program: Friday Night Lights
Ind. Comedy: Baldwin
Ind. Drama: Chandler

Last edited by aktick; 06-06-07 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kudos to 30 Rock. Now if only people would start watching the show. Some of my picks:

comedy: 30 Rock
drama: The Wire
new program: 30 Rock
individual, comedy: Baldwin or Colbert
Old 06-06-07, 09:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Program of the year: "American Idol" (Fox), "Friday Night Lights" (NBC), "Heroes" (NBC), "Planet Earth" (Discovery), "The Wire" (HBO) and "When the Levees Broke" (HBO).
What an oddly diverse mix of programs. I kind of like the tighter actor categories - in that they combine men and women (and shows, movies, and miniseries) all under drama and comedy. It makes it seem like they are truly picking the cream of the crop (at least in their eyes) instead of just filling categories.

Good to see more love for Dexter and 30 Rock.
Old 06-06-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
30 Rock is Arrested Development all over again .

Heroes shouldn't be nominated for Program of the Year.
Old 06-06-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
New program: Dexter
There's really no need to even discuss it!
Old 06-06-07, 10:08 AM

I watched every episode of Dexter, and I don't understand why people like it so much. I probably won't bother with the second season. I don't like Weeds, either. Showtime has nothing on HBO, IMO.
Old 06-06-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I agree Showtime has nothing on HBO, and Dexter works better in concept than execution, but it's still a good show. Dislike the rest of the Showtime lineup.
Old 06-06-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Either Planet Earth or The Wire for program of the year. Can't believe AI and Heroes are even on that list. I'll echo DRG, they certainly did pick an odd list.
Old 06-06-07, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dvd182
Either Planet Earth or The Wire for program of the year. Can't believe AI and Heroes are even on that list. I'll echo DRG, they certainly did pick an odd list.
Haha, I guess they did, huh?

2 great dramas (FNL, Wire), a great nature documentary, a disaster documentary, a boring reality show that's been around for years, and a good action/drama (but that was, by most accounts, poorly acted).
Old 06-06-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some pretty shoddy noms, AI nominated for show of the year? Thats garbage TV & Heroes a mediocre, poorly acted drama that is the next Lost in terms of Nerd world.
Nice to see 30 Rock on the list but no Scrubs on the list is just an insult to everything about Quality TV.
& What the hell is When the Levees Broke?
Nice to see the M*A*S*H on the list though.
Old 06-06-07, 10:57 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops ... you mean you were serious ...?
Old 06-06-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a pretty good list of nods, except for the obvious of AI and Heroes (unless you're nominating on impact over quality).

das
Old 06-06-07, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
no Scrubs on the list is just an insult to everything about Quality TV.
I'm sure Scrubs will have better luck when the 2007 Teen Choice Awards nominees are announced.
Old 06-06-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
For expansive categories, that's a half-decent nominee list, unlike the farces that are the Emmys and Golden Globes.