Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica 4th Season will be the final season

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Battlestar Galactica 4th Season will be the final season

"After weeks of speculation, the end is in fact near. According to a high level source at Sci Fi Channel parent company NBC Universal, the show will dock after its next 22-episode season, slated to kick off in early 2008"

Full story here:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show..._aint_fra.html

This is too bad, one of my favorite shows, I guess better to leave to early and with some kind of "finality" to the story instead of getting cancelled or dragging on too long.
Old 05-31-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From the way they ended Season 3, I'm actually glad; I can't imagine how they would fill out another full season after 4 without resorting to a lot of filler episodes.

Plus, there's still opportunities for spinoffs.
Old 05-31-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was announced months ago and I believe there is a thread for it already.
Old 05-31-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
This was announced months ago and I believe there is a thread for it already.
I do recall the thread, but I thought that was just a rumor at the time...this is official.
Old 05-31-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FinkPish
From the way they ended Season 3, I'm actually glad; I can't imagine how they would fill out another full season after 4 without resorting to a lot of filler episodes.
It's been so long, I even forgot how Season 3 ended! I suppose by the time season 4 starts, I will have forgotten everything about the series.
Old 05-31-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, good to have final word on it. Sad to see it go, but its time had come. Still, a great show most the time.
Old 05-31-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of my favorite television ever...including my favorite episode ever.

So I'm sad to see it go, but really, 4 seasons is about as long as any show can really maintain a high level of quality. And it's also about as long as I can stomach a DVD marathon.

I also think that the writers knowing that this is their last season will add a lot of momentum to the story and make for some terrific television...much the same way that season 4 of Babylon 5 was...all killer...no filler.
Old 05-31-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I'm actually relieved.

At least we won't (shouldn't, anyway) have season four end on a cliffhanger not knowing whether or not they would renew it.

Now Moore and Eick can go into the fourth season and craft nice, tight finale for the series. Hopefully with no dead weight filler episodes.

And, honestly, following the season four finale where we saw
Spoiler:
Starbuck show up and tell Lee that she's going to lead them to Earth
it really feels like they're moving the storyline into the endgame.
Old 05-31-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Realistically, there's only so far they can go without becoming repetitive and stale. Sure, I'd like to see a really good sci-fi series like this run for 10 years, but the story isn't open ended enough for that.

I just hope the success of this show opens the door for another well written space show. Of course, given the maddening treatment of Firefly, and the its-finally-getting-its-act-together-so-lets-cancel-it-now-and-give-it-the-worst-series-finale-ever run of Enterprise, I'm not very optimistic.
Old 06-01-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The decision must have come recently since as few as a couple weeks ago, David Eick pretty much denied that the fourth season would be the last.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=2&id=41457
Old 06-01-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd much rather have the show end on a high note than drag itself out, ala X-Files.
Old 06-01-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My favorite show on TV. Sad to see it go.
Old 06-01-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I'd rather the show end on a high note than the low one so many of my old favorites did (Buffy, X-Files, etc.)

Bring on season 4!
Old 06-01-07, 12:15 PM

Good news in my book. Such a great series as this deserves to go out on top.
Old 06-01-07, 02:07 PM

I think this is a good thing.

A serialized show like this really needs to know beforehand when it's run will end. It's not like they can just have the cast hug and sing "It's a long way to tiperaree(sic)".

There are a lot of loose ends which need tying up and 22 episodes gives them plenty of time to do it well. And from the quote below I think that's exactly what they plan to do.

..."This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and finally, an end. Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms," stated Eick and Moore. "On a personal level, it's been a creative privilege and an honor for all of us who work on the show and we know we'll be lucky to ever see its like again. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there - we're going out with a bang."...
http://www.eclipsemagazine.com/galac...ut_with_a_bang
Old 06-01-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
In case it hasn't been mentioned, Ron Moore admitted in a podcast that a lot of the "standalone" eps from S3 were at the behest of the network, who didn't want to confuse first-time viewers with an ongoing arc (though it ended up driving away current viewers...) Thus the issues with Kat, and the killer doc seemed to come out of nowhere and get neatly resolved. I still believe that those stories could have been a lot more compelling if spread over 3-5 eps or so, as they could have dropped hints in advance, fleshed out characters, etc.

I'm sad to see it end, though of course glad that Ron has an endpoint to aim for. I just really think it could have done a full five years, and it makes me hate trash like American Idol even more just for existing.
Old 06-01-07, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
In case it hasn't been mentioned, Ron Moore admitted in a podcast that a lot of the "standalone" eps from S3 were at the behest of the network, who didn't want to confuse first-time viewers with an ongoing arc (though it ended up driving away current viewers...)
Network execs always make that demand, which always turns away more current viewers than it gains in new viewers (hence lower ratings). Yet, the execs never learn from it and repeat it over and over and over again. One definition of insanity is to repeat an action and expect different results. So why do the networks keep hiring insane executives?
Old 06-02-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Glad to hear they are going to let it go out with dignity and not get stale. I wonder if this means they will split the final 22 into two 11 ep. mini-seasons?
Old 06-02-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sad to hear that next season's its last, but with an end in mind, we shouldn't get too many filler episodes.
Old 06-02-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have been happy if they'd announced 5 seasons, although wary of that being too long/not enough story.. And I'm happy to hear it will go 4 seasons, yet disappointed a little because I love the show and wish it wasn't ending. So I was going to be pleased yet a little disappointed either way..
Old 06-02-07, 03:17 PM

When can we expect Season 3 on DVD?
Old 06-02-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
In case it hasn't been mentioned, Ron Moore admitted in a podcast that a lot of the "standalone" eps from S3 were at the behest of the network, who didn't want to confuse first-time viewers with an ongoing arc (though it ended up driving away current viewers...)
Good old Bonnie Hammer and her "our viewers are too stupid to understand things" philosophy.

Thus the issues with Kat, and the killer doc seemed to come out of nowhere and get neatly resolved. I still believe that those stories could have been a lot more compelling if spread over 3-5 eps or so, as they could have dropped hints in advance, fleshed out characters, etc.
Good god, I don't know how many times I said that in various threads. Don't forget the Chief and his union. That one pissed me off the most because they had Adama threatening to execute Tyrol's wife at the end of the ep, and we're supposed to believe that everything is perfectly OK between Tyrol and Adama after that?

In my eyes the show jumped the shark as soon as Jane Espenson's name appeared in the credits. As I've said before, she's the master at writing pointless stories that have no meaning and no impact on the ongoing plot.
Old 06-02-07, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
So I'm sad to see it go, but really, 4 seasons is about as long as any show can really maintain a high level of quality. And it's also about as long as I can stomach a DVD marathon.
You must not watch much TV. I can think of at least a dozen shows off the top of my head that got even better after their fourth seasons. (The Shield, Sopranos, Buffy, X-Files, Friends...to name just a handful of relatively recent shows that have/had really strong post-season 4four runs.)
Old 06-02-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
You must not watch much TV. I can think of at least a dozen shows off the top of my head that got even better after their fourth seasons. (The Shield, Sopranos, Buffy, X-Files, Friends...to name just a handful of relatively recent shows that have/had really strong post-season 4four runs.)
I'd say a couple of those are debatable...

Buffy seasons 6 & 7 were less than stellar (although 6 had some exceptional single eps, the season as a whole was weak and contrived). Most fans consider X-Files to be done after season 5 & the movie, and after that everything was downhill.

Can't argue on The Shield, though. 6 seasons and all of them have been consistently good.
Old 06-03-07, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they just making room for the prequel series?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.