49.15%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

The shield Vs. The Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: The Shield or The Wire?

I STILL need to watch The Wire. I voted for The Shield. Top 3 show of all time for me.
Old 02-24-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The Wire for me. Just. Both were superb.
Old 02-24-15, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
The Wire for me. Just. Both were superb.
I agree
Old 02-24-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I Just rewatched The Wire since it was in HD and I still get completely engrossed in it.

I haven't rewatched the Shield since it ended but likely will soon. But the fact I haven't felt as compelled to do so tells me The Wire is the better show.
Old 02-24-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
The WIRE will win on here (I think we've done this before), I go with The Shield.
No poll, but yes:

The shield Vs. The Wire

To be fair, almost all the discussion was from 2009 other than a bump last year for a streaming option.
Old 02-24-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Surprised this is tied as I am posting this. i would have thought THe Wire would be the clear favorite here. Personally, I could never get into The Wire. I found the first few epsiodes so boring and tedious that I gave up on the series several times. Given that fact, the choice for me was pretty simple.
Old 02-24-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Surprised this is tied as I am posting this. i would have thought THe Wire would be the clear favorite here. Personally, I could never get into The Wire. I found the first few epsiodes so boring and tedious that I gave up on the series several times. Given that fact, the choice for me was pretty simple.
Boring and tedious? That's quite the double whammy.

I haven't seen anything past the first four or five episodes of the Shield, but I'm pretty sure that the Wire is the best show I've ever seen. I can't imagine the Shield being better.
Old 02-24-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312

I haven't seen anything past the first four or five episodes of the Shield, but I'm pretty sure that the Wire is the best show I've ever seen. I can't imagine the Shield being better.
Definitely check out whole series. It keeps getting better.

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-24-15 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It is. Describes the portion of the show I have seen perfectly, though.
Old 02-25-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Granted, I only made it through two and a half seasons of The Wire, but I was disappointed that there just weren't any really interesting characters. I didn't feel like, despite watching so much of the show, that I was getting to know them better.

Someone said The Shield is story driven and The Wire is character driven. I disagree. I think it's the complete opposite. And I think TV is a characters medium.

This is of course the writer or producers choice, but to me, I felt about as connected to the characters on The Wire as I did some Co workers at a job. You just know them on a surface level. There just didn't seem to be a whole lot of scenes "off the clock" where you had quieter moments and more vulnerability.

On The Shield, I felt I saw characters struggle a bit more with their choices or the choices of others. I felt Vic's pain to keep his family together, or Kavanaughs consuming obsession for justice. I feel the complete opposite with The Wire--I feel it's so utterly story driven that it squeezes out all passion and vulnerability from its characters.

I don't want to say that definitively - - I'm only halfway through season 3. But I'm almost three seasons deep and I don't really feel like I know any one character very well, and it really hurts my overall enjoyment of the show.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 02-25-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I picked Wire, mostly because the first few seasons of Shield kept treading the same ground over and over; they pull some shenanigans, almost get caught but come out okay. Rinse & repeat. Of course the last few seasons were amazing, but Wire just had a lot more going on in its head and under the hood.
Old 02-25-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you google best tv show of the last 20 years, The Wire is #1 or top 5 in most of those lists. The Shield doesn't even show in some of them. The Wire is always the safest bet if someone asks you what's the best show. It has that much prestige.

My favorite is between Lost (yeah) and Breaking Bad. But favorite != best.

Also, season 5 of The Wire > 90% of what's currently in TV.
Old 02-25-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised that The Shield is holding its own in this poll simply because everyone just falls to suck it off as the best show. While I do believe the shield deserves it and doesn't get the credit for being so amazing.
Old 02-26-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ive marathoned the shield twice and will do it again in a few yrs im sure. i marathoned the wire once and will probably never do it again.

both are great shows...the wire just isnt very re watchable or as memorable to me. plus i never connected or felt anything for the characters(i did hate seeing omar killed though).

for me of the big serialized shows its breaking bad>the shield (almost a tie for first)>sopranos>the wire
Old 02-26-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i really like the wire but damn that show has some extremely boring episodes. it took me a few tries just to get through the first episode.
Old 02-26-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I liked "The Shield", but I'd have a hard time fitting it in a top 10. So, "The Wire" by a mile although I understand why it's "literary" nature would put some people off.