Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "The Disaster Show" - 5/24/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "The Disaster Show" - 5/24/07

Old 05-25-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
instead they moved it all over the place
NBC never moved this show. Not even once. It always aired Mondays at 10.

That's actually part of the problem. The Black Donnelys bombed there as well, showing that the timeslot itself may be the issue. I don't understand how you can have a show like Studio 60 and not at least experiment once with a different slot. Would it have been so terrible to switch Medium and Studio 60 for one week? Especially given how a Heroes/Medium double-feature is somewhat thematically appropriate.

I do agree that NBC can suck it. They should be embarrased that they couldn't get a show like this to find an audience.
Old 05-25-07, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually liked the episode last night. The only thing that would of made it better was to get rid of Harriet too. Not having to hear about the Harriet love issues would of been great. Allison Janney and Timothy Busfield do seem to have great chemistry. Too bad they could not get cast on a show together again. Steven Weber was great last night and if they could of only focused on his character more it would of possibly lasted. That and the first 10 episodes it seemed that dealt with Harriet and the Matthew Perry character and their history and her politics.
Old 05-25-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed last night's episode and certainly didn't miss any of the big stars. I just hope the rest of the run is as enjoyable.
Old 05-25-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MadMark
I think I've seen Simon's "two dates in one night" subplot on. . . . just about every sitcom that's ever been on the air.
And virtually every issue of Archie Comics.
Old 05-25-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All I can say is that I was laughing at all the disasterous bits on Janney's skits/monologue/goodbye. Simon's subplot was silly, but still got a few chuckles from me. Harriet just needs to be jettisoned.
Old 05-25-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Wow, did this episode ever suck. Holy crap. They should've just ended the show when it was announced it was not coming back.
Old 05-25-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't it ironic that this show, which was supposed to start airing in this timeslot of Thursdays at 10PM where it probably would've done a lot better in the beginning of the season with a proper lead in of first run shows, instead they moved it all over the place, took it off, put it back on at the end of the season and, of course, without any lead in, the numbers will suck and they'll say that there is no audience no matter where we put it even on Thursdays at 10PM. Suck it NBC.
In addition to being wrong about it being moved around, the show was supposed to air Thursdays at 9 (not Thursdays at 10). That would have put it against GA and CSI.
Old 05-25-07, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
In addition to being wrong about it being moved around, the show was supposed to air Thursdays at 9 (not Thursdays at 10). That would have put it against GA and CSI.
Forgive me for not doing extensive research before posting. The point is still the same.
Old 05-25-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forgive me for not doing extensive research before posting. The point is still the same.
No, the point is really not the same at all. Thursdays at 10 would have been a half decent slot if not occupied by ER. Thursdays at 9 was the time slot of death.
Old 05-25-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I always wanted an episode with no Matt or Danny. Now I want one that isn't boring.

And Simon was idiot for not going with the girl in the red dress.
Old 05-25-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

No, the point is really not the same at all. Thursdays at 10 would have been a half decent slot if not occupied by ER. Thursdays at 9 was the time slot of death.

That's the key. Everyone has these dream timeslots but they forget that to put S60 in timeslot like this, it means you have to move out a show that has succeeded there for a decade.
Old 05-25-07, 06:38 PM
Banned

How is following Earl and Office as lead-in's a death slot?
Old 05-25-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

How is following Earl and Office as lead-in's a death slot?

Going up against CSI and Grey's Anatomy. That's what makes it a death slot.
Old 05-25-07, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Going up against CSI and Grey's Anatomy. That's what makes it a death slot.
Be that as it may, I bet that S60 would've gotten better numbers on Thursdays @9 as opposed to Mondays @10.

They don't give any show a chance these days. St. Elsewhere had no ratings its whole first season but they brought it back.
Old 05-25-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Be that as it may, I bet that S60 would've gotten better numbers on Thursdays @9 as opposed to Mondays @10.

They don't give any show a chance these days. St. Elsewhere had no ratings its whole first season but they brought it back.
I'd take that bet. Unlike Scrubs and 30 Rock (shows that got bad ratings), S60 is a drama competing for the same crowd as CSI and Grey's Anatomy.
Old 05-25-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'd take that bet. Unlike Scrubs and 30 Rock (shows that got bad ratings), S60 is a drama competing for the same crowd as CSI and Grey's Anatomy.
Beyond that, the competition on Mondays at 10 is pretty lacking. ABC didn't have jack squat there until The Bachelor, and it's not like CBS has its most successful show there.
Old 05-25-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think another thing that killed Studio 50 on the Sunset Strip was that in the Eastern and Central time zones during fall 2006, it competed directly against the ESPN Monday night NFL broadcasts, and given the extremely strong male viewer demographics of NFL broadcasts, it's small wonder why Studio 60 failed at 2200 on Monday nights.
Old 05-25-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RayChuang
I think another thing that killed Studio 50 on the Sunset Strip was that in the Eastern and Central time zones during fall 2006, it competed directly against the ESPN Monday night NFL broadcasts, and given the extremely strong male viewer demographics of NFL broadcasts, it's small wonder why Studio 60 failed at 2200 on Monday nights.

I've commented on this before. I don't think S60 and MNF shared much of a common demographic. Yeah, I watched them both, but I think I'm one of the exceptions rather than the rule.

A show like CSI: Miami shares more of a demographic with MNF and that show doesn't have problems in the ratings competing against it.
Old 05-25-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Dennis Miller were still doing color on MNF, I might stop for a moment and consider the football defense. As it is, it just seems wrong. That goes double once you consider that not only did CSI:Caruso do okay, so did the male-skewing Heroes just an hour earlier.
Old 05-27-07, 10:24 PM

It's nice the the show got a good day and timeslot but too bad it's already gone.
I think burning off episodes in the summer is what saved shows like Seinfeld but that was a whole other era of how tv is programmed.

I was afraid the remaining shows would only be available for the dvd.
I think they had faith in the beginning putting it on Monday but it didnt pair well with Heroes and the commercials made the show look all glitzy and didnt represent how the show was at all. I remember the big news in November was that the show wasnt yanked after declining ratings and that tehy actualy ordered a full season. But why spend all that money for that when they werent working on building an audience?

I think they just let the show hang there by itself, or let it itself hang, not doing anything to help it out but not tinkering with it either.
They could have tried any number of days in another slot to see if there was interest. I thought they were just on hiatus cause I couldnt find any news on the show, but by March I figured it was gone.
But why they renewed the Tina Fey show and not this one was probably due to budget, and NBC was getting killed on all fronts, sitcoms, drams, and reality, so I'd think they'd be desperate for ANYTHING they could renew.

I would have kept Studio 60 since a year from now ER will be gone.
Old 05-28-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The issues with the marketing were a big problem for the show, but I have to say I'm not sure how you can possibly design ads for what the show was at first unless you limit it to "From the writer of The American President and the creator of The West Wing...". I'm not sure Sorkin even knew exactly he wanted the show to be, so it's hard for me to blame the marketing folks for not knowing either. It's also hard to blame the audience for failing to make the decision that they'd stick with it because Sorkin would eventually stumble on something genius (which he did, IMHO, right around when McKinney came on).
Old 05-28-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Against CSI and GA? Ummm... no, it would have gotten killed.

It looks like less than 4 million people viewed this episode. Those are CW-type numbers. Too bad. I hope they at least decide to air the rest of them and/or put it out on DVD.
Old 05-28-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked this ep.

Simon should take the girl with the huge knockers. His girlfriend that he got back together with was fugly to begin with. Why did he ever start up with her in the first place?

"Try to broadcast in the full spectrum of color..."
Old 05-29-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To hell with the picket lines, and screw the union. An 8 year old can hold up cards in front of someone.

Danny and Weber were right.
Old 05-29-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed this episode. I am fine with no Amanda Peet and Matthew Perry, but I do like Whitford. I really liked Janney and Busfield's scenes together as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.