Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twenty Four (24) *Two-Hour Season Finale*-- (Day 6: 4:00AM - 6:00AM) -- 05/21/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) *Two-Hour Season Finale*-- (Day 6: 4:00AM - 6:00AM) -- 05/21/07

Old 05-21-07, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
You mean as lame as this season's been?

the first four eps notwithstanding...
I actually had a really bad feeling about the season right after I watched those first four eps. The nuke going off was exciting, but it still felt like they were picking different elements/tropes from various past seasons without giving us anything especially original.

And yeah, the reason I liked this ending was because it doesn't lock the writers down or raise my hopes about anything. I was pissed when Palmer survived Mandy's attack with nothing but a scarred hand. Last year, I was hoping for some kind of "Escape from China" arc for season 6, and was disappointed yet again. The fresh start is the way to go.
Old 05-21-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I stupid for thinking that Grandpa Bauer may have escaped in the boat?
Old 05-21-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm glad I watched the 2 hour finale via picture-in-picture (the main window being Dancing with the Stars and then Heroes) because neither hour required much attention span as this 'day' limped to the finish line in truly unspectacular fashion.

Any hopes of Doyle taking over for the Jack Bauer Power Hour blew up in his face. Haha.

Should we care that Chloe's preggers, or that Miles might not be the dad? Who cares.

Last edited by Patman; 05-21-07 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
Am I stupid for thinking that Grandpa Bauer may have escaped in the boat?
He'll pop up with Logan and Behrooz in next season's finale.
Old 05-21-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was waiting for the big "Josh is your son" reveal.
Nothing.

Poor Jack.. he's like Rambo. They only need him when their backs are against the wall... he's like a man without a country.

Oh.. and why make Chloe Pregnant?

Was anyone keeping score how many times Jack was either arrested or detained this season?
Old 05-21-07, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
As I've said before, revamping the show won't do a damn thing. It's the writers that are a problem. It's not the show that's turning out bad scripts and characters we don't give a shit about, it's the writers.
The show desperately needs a revamp, though. It's not just the bad scripts and boring characters. 24 is completely formulaic. It's easier to overlook this when the writing is good and the characters fun, but after six seasons of having to watch the same lame-ass tropes, I would LOVE to see Jack placed in a completely new environment. At the very least, a revamp would force the writers to fill up episodes with something other than "CTU gets attacked", "teenage Bauer gets kidnapped", or "the presidential advisor is untrustworthy---OR IS HE?!"

Plus, I'm really sick of that CTU set. I hope I never, ever have to look at it again.
Old 05-21-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Was anyone keeping score how many times Jack was either arrested or detained this season?
I think the over/under was 8.
Old 05-21-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I don't read spoilers, so my opinion that this episode sucked ass is based solely on its own suckage.

Hopefully the soft ending is their way of tearing this show apart and rebuilding it without Presidents, CTU, moles, CTU, superfluous Bauers, CTU, or Los Angeles. This could be a kickass show if they ditched all the stupid shit and just followed Jack around. Eh, who am I kidding.

das
Old 05-21-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It was approximately the same number of times Kim was kidnapped in Season 1.
Old 05-21-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by areacode212
The show desperately needs a revamp, though. It's not just the bad scripts and boring characters. 24 is completely formulaic. It's easier to overlook this when the writing is good and the characters fun, but after six seasons of having to watch the same lame-ass tropes, I would LOVE to see Jack placed in a completely new environment. At the very least, a revamp would force the writers to fill up episodes with something other than "CTU gets attacked", "teenage Bauer gets kidnapped", or "the presidential advisor is untrustworthy---OR IS HE?!"
Yeah, but if we keep the same shitty writers, we'll have the same rehashed plots in whatever new location.

Instead of the Presidential advisor being untrustworthy, we have the top aide of whatever law enforcement group Jack is working with. Same for the bad guys getting the layout of the main base for the good guys.

So we'll still have the weekly threads filled with "yeah, they did that back in season (#) with (character)."
Old 05-21-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad Jack didn't get the component from his dad. Then he could infiltrate the entire Russian defense and be the bad guy for once.

I thought this was at lease a better finale than Heroes. That was the biggest let-down of them all.
Old 05-21-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Well thanks to whomever left all those barrels of explosive oil on the decomissioned deck!
They took a page out of Video Game Design 101. Oh, and we got another perimeter.

The ending was decent. A truly clean slate for next season. I think Tony showing up or Baby Bauer being Jack's would have undercut that. As much as I'd like to see both happen, it can wait until next season.

The scene with Chloe telling Morris she was pregnant had to be the most unintentional funny moment in the shows run. The acting in that scene from both actors was abysmal. Par for the course this season I suppose.

So looking at the season as a whole you've got the first four episodes, the episode where Jack took out Fayed and the finale that were good. I'd put this season on par with season four of Smallville. Anyone who has watched that show can probably relate.
Old 05-21-07, 10:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts
CTU should follow Bill Adama's lead and get rid of all technology that can be hacked.

The scenes with Chloe being pregnant and Milo's brother showing up seemed like just scenes they came up with to kill time.
Old 05-21-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
CTU should follow Bill Adama's lead and get rid of all technology that can be hacked.

The scenes with Chloe being pregnant and Milo's brother showing up seemed like just scenes they came up with to kill time.

Yeah what was with Milo's brother? He comes in and tells Nadia Milo was in love with her (I think everybody already knew that) she leaves and when she comes back he's gone and nobody mentions him again. Totally unnecessary couple of minutes.
Old 05-21-07, 10:38 PM

Here is the much talked about "spoiler" for the end of this season, in case you haven't read it elsewhere. There were 2 options. The first one "spoilered" was the one that happened, and this is the 2nd:

Jack drops off of the helicopter (on purpose) and Buchanan knows not to go look for Jack and that if he ever wants to be found he will be.

Jack makes it to the shore and sits and looks off into the ocean. There’s complete silence as Jack ponders where his life goes from here, he’s at the crossroads of his life. Then out of the silence we hear a faint sound. As the sound grows closer we realize it’s a helicopter. Jack looks behind him at a house on a cliff and a piercing white light focuses in on him as the helicopter descends down and lands on the beach. Jack takes out his gun and he thinks it’s CTU to come and detain him but it’s not. A heavily armed special forces unit pours out and they make Jack drop his gun. Jack complies and the men put a blindfold over Jack’s head and take him inside the helicopter. The soldiers place Jack next to their leader who remains unseen as he’s talking on a cell phone which obscures his identity. The man on the phone hangs up and we go to complete darkness as we are now watching from Jack’s perspective. Then we hear the voice. I’m paraphrasing and it went something like; “I’m going to remove your blindfold Jack, but you need to understand something first. There are people within our government who want change. Two years ago I was part of that change and I payed a steep price for my patriotism… That price {Jack’s blindfold is removed} ….. was my wife”… Jack’s eyes adjust to reveal Tony Almeida. Jack simply replies with “Tony” as the look on his face registers as pure shock. We are left to believe that Chris Henderson recruited Tony well before day 5 and that Tony’s alleged death was nothing more than an elaborate hoax so that he could continue whatever work Henderson’s group has plans for. I guess we’re supposed to believe that Tony is recruiting Jack and this will lead us into the drastic season 7 change.
Old 05-21-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I've said before, revamping the show won't do a damn thing. It's the writers that are a problem. It's not the show that's turning out bad scripts and characters we don't give a shit about, it's the writers.
You may be right. It seems like the writers have become very lazy. They pretty much ran out of ideas this season and rehashed previous seasons, as countless people have already pointed out. I've tried to defend this show and still watched it every week but I'll admit that this season really sucked. At first I was bummed with the ending because there was nothing to look forward to for next season. After thinking about it I decided that's a good thing because the show is free to go in an entirely new direction. For what it's worth, supposedly the writers understand fans were frustrated with this season and are willing to change things up. Maybe they'll be willing to actually change their thinking a bit and in turn write better shows.
Old 05-21-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Meteu185
Here is the much talked about "spoiler" for the end of this season, in case you haven't read it elsewhere. There were 2 options. The first one "spoilered" was the one that happened, and this is the 2nd:
They should've stuck with this ending b/c the one they chose stunk.
Old 05-21-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
For what it's worth, supposedly the writers understand fans were frustrated with this season and are willing to change things up. Maybe they'll be willing to actually change their thinking a bit and in turn write better shows.
I hope so... but the interview with Howard Gordon revealed a man that laid the blame everywhere but on the writers. First it was that the show just needed a change of scenery. Then he said that maybe fans were losing interest because people weren't as afraid of terrorism as they were when the show debuted after 9/11.
Old 05-21-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope so... but the interview with Howard Gordon revealed a man that laid the blame everywhere but on the writers. First it was that the show just needed a change of scenery. Then he said that maybe fans were losing interest because people weren't as afraid of terrorism as they were when the show debuted after 9/11.
Didn't somebody blame the declining ratings on "Drive" too?

I'm sorry but it's pretty lame to blame poor ratings of a show that has been a hit for many years on a new show that only lasted 3 weeks.

I guess we'll just have to wait till January.
Old 05-21-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh.. and why make Chloe Pregnant?
so their child can be the CTU mole next season of course
Old 05-21-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Meteu185
wow that was so bad I'm surprised they didn't use it
Old 05-21-07, 11:13 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

In a May 16 CNN article about the show, Gordon said criticisms were "unfair" and "on balance, it was a very successful season." Doesn't fill me with a lot of optimism about "changing things up" next season.
Old 05-21-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
In a May 16 CNN article about the show, Gordon said criticisms were "unfair" and "on balance, it was a very successful season." Doesn't fill me with a lot of optimism about "changing things up" next season.
Mabye he was watching the wrong season.
Old 05-21-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Tonight's ending officially confirmed I wasted 24 hours of my time since January.

S7 will get DVD viewing, if the reviews are good after the fact.
Old 05-22-07, 12:09 AM

I could not be happier that this season is finally over.

Anti-climactic & terrible. That's how I'd sum up the finale.

Don't really feel like wasting anymore time thinking about this show. I'm out. It's done. Might catch S7 on DVD, but they killed off my interest long ago. These last 2 eps just sealed the deal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.