Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "How To Stop An Exploding Man" -- 05.21.2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
For those of you who hated this finale or thought it was lame, all I can say is...go take a look at the "24" finale, and then tell me what "lame" is.

Seriously though, this was a FANTASTIC final episode. HEROES had two shows that literally brought me to tears this season...this one and "Company Man".

I thought it was great how the writers decided that Peter would save the world through "love". As soon as I heard that, I immediately thought "oh boy, the 'fanboys' are going to hate this one," but what a beautiful scene with the two brothers in the final moments.

A few other observations:

That's DEFINITELY George Takei behind the one samurai's mask (Hiro's great-great grandfather?).

I think the writers may have decided to shoot Parkman at the last minute, just as a way of explaining Greg Grunberg's weight loss when we see him again next year.
Old 05-23-07, 07:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I think the writers may have decided to shoot Parkman at the last minute, just as a way of explaining Greg Grunberg's weight loss when we see him again next year.
yes, death is most certainly the cure for obesity.
Old 05-23-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadLamb
here, just because I don't want "What did I see?" to be bugging ya till next season :P
I don't think they really meant for this to mean more then random flashes, then his own image..

and yes, this might be the strangest thing I have ever vidcapped
Thanks for this

I'm not sure if you're saying those are just random images, but they certainly appear to be a chronicling of deaths related to Sylar.

I think I see the first dude he wacked (to get the TK power), Suresh the Elder, Mrs. Parker, Mr. Parker, Charlie, Zane?, the bitchy cheerleader he thought was Claire, ???, Super-hearing mechanic chick?, his mom, Isaac, Peter, himself.
Old 05-23-07, 08:23 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What happened to Claude? He was part of Peter's original "vision" so I expected him to turn up, but he never did.
New though... I think that Claude was there. I think he's the person that drug Sylar down into the sewer.

Remeber Molly said that whenever she looked for him he could see her. Maybe that was a reference to Claude invisibility... plus I don't think he ever left NY.
Old 05-23-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a terrible finale. I can't believe the people saying it should have been a two-hour episode- they barely had enough plot to fill one hour. And my god, the writing- "You saved the cheerleader, so we could save the world!" what?

And yet more people watch this show than Veronica Mars.

Most of the show was entertaining enough, so I guess I'll be back for the second season. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's a live-action comic book.
Old 05-23-07, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Peter finally meets the Haitian he will be ever badder since he can stop people from using their abilities

On that note, if they wanted to kill Sylar so bad why not just get the Haitian so he could stop Sylar from using his abilities and then kill him? I guess that would make to show not so interesting.
Old 05-23-07, 09:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
maybe I'm wrong, but didnt he haitian die?
Old 05-23-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I was sufficiently satisfied with the finale, except for Hiro's moment. I, too, wish he had just appeared and stabbed, without the dramatic pause. I actually liked the dichotomy between this Sylar/Peter showdown and the one they hinted at in the future, where they were both so much more badass. Shows how far they have to go.

Definitely looking forward to next season. I'm not sure if Kensei is Sulu or one of Sulu's ancestors. Could go either way. Also, I'm not sure if Nathan's dead or not. I'm sure Peter's not.
Old 05-23-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
My prediction (not that it's a stretch) :

Peter : Alive

Nathan : Dead
I can't imagine this will get dragged out next season, especially if Molly can find anyone with her power.
Old 05-23-07, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
maybe I'm wrong, but didnt he haitian die?
Yes, but five years in the future.
Old 05-23-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
For those of you who hated this finale or thought it was lame, all I can say is...go take a look at the "24" finale, and then tell me what "lame" is.
The only problem with that analogy is that after the first 4 hours, the rest of 24 was pretty much lame. So, the season finally was expected to be lame.

To have the season this show had this year, and to end it like that was almost a crime. It just fell flat. It would have been better if they ended it with the 5 years gone episode.
I fully expect to watch again next year (both shows btw).

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this around here anywhere, but did anyone else hear about the new planned Heroes spinoff? Heroes: Origins
I'm not sure about this. I hope they're not trying to cash in too much and ruin the original show.
Old 05-23-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dpz301
maybe the exploding power was superceding the ability to fly away and therefore couldn't fly by himself.

great ending to season 1. would have preferred if
Spoiler:
sylar hadn't morphed himself into a liquid and slide down the drain
He did not do that, he lifted up the sewer lid and crawled in.
Old 05-23-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just watched this and chalk me up as another disappointed viewer. It would have been a struggle to make the ending any lamer.
Old 05-23-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
New though... I think that Claude was there. I think he's the person that drug Sylar down into the sewer.

Remeber Molly said that whenever she looked for him he could see her. Maybe that was a reference to Claude invisibility... plus I don't think he ever left NY.
drug!? You serious?
Old 05-23-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this around here anywhere, but did anyone else hear about the new planned Heroes spinoff? Heroes: Origins
I'm not sure about this. I hope they're not trying to cash in too much and ruin the original show.
It has been mentioned:
NBC has added a new Heroes spin-off to its roster, Heroes: Origins. The new show will introduce a new character each week and the TV audience has the opportunity to choose their favorite character by voting at the Heroes website on NBC.com. The chosen character will become a new cast regular the following season. The new series will air on Mondays in the Heroes timeslot with only six episodes while the regular series is on hiatus.
Honestly it sounds like a really good idea to me if NBC wants to keep people's interest going in the show. Plus the choosing of the new character sounds like a fun/interesting premise.
Old 05-23-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Honestly it sounds like a really good idea to me if NBC wants to keep people's interest going in the show. Plus the choosing of the new character sounds like a fun/interesting premise.
I like the fact that ther will also be no overlying storyline...just a bunch of people dealing with thier powers...could be fun, with no anticipation for how each episode advances the storyline
Old 05-23-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see Eccleston come back to for a few episodes next season. It's entirely possible he could've yanked Sylar into the sewer at the end. I highly doubt he left the city as well.

I think the person Molly is referring to is a lot bigger and badder than Claude though. Most likely it's a new character who will make Sylar look pretty tame in comparison. Which will be pretty tough to accomplish.
Old 05-23-07, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flave
drug!? You serious?
dragged... sorry.
Old 05-23-07, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
It has been mentioned:

New fodder for "Vote For The Worst . Com"!
Old 05-23-07, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I'd like to see Eccleston come back to for a few episodes next season. It's entirely possible he could've yanked Sylar into the sewer at the end. I highly doubt he left the city as well.
Sure it's possible, but why? Eccleston's character didn't seem obviously suicidal to me, nor did he appear so amoral as to not care who would die in the future if he saved Sylar.
Old 05-23-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kiddk1
and the necklace the Haitian wears
And on the flags of the Shoguns.
Old 05-23-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
My prediction (not that it's a stretch) :

Peter : Alive

Nathan : Dead

Still not sure why Nathan had a change of heart ...
His selfishness had caused so much pain, that he finally realized that he needed to change.
Old 05-23-07, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
What woiuld be his motive for doing so? And why would we need to posit Claude dragging Sylar away instead of John Q. Nopower dragging Sylar away (assuming we're going with the theory that he didn't crawl away on his own).

Why would Claude's invisiblity correlate to being able to look back on Molly? I don't see any connection there.

The creators have implied (but never outright said) that Sylar got to Claude -- there have been a number of instances in the last few episodes of the season where the camera turns away from Sylar for a split second, and when it turns back, he's gone.

Last edited by JasonF; 05-23-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-23-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Sure it's possible, but why? Eccleston's character didn't seem obviously suicidal to me, nor did he appear so amoral as to not care who would die in the future if he saved Sylar.
I was agreeing with Goldberg that it was another possible theory. I'm thinking that Sylar may have already killed him though. Claude didn't exactly love social interactions, so what better place than the sewers. He was clearly angry with Peter, after getting tasered and almost captured. All the elements are there for him to be pushed as a bad guy if they bring him back.

Plus it'd be nice to see some better actors on the show.
Old 05-23-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here is a message from the Director of heroes Greg Beeman from another website:

So, while you guys may have to wait 3 months or so for the next installment, let me encourage you with the following news: First we here at HEROES are already all back at work. Episode 1 is being written as we speak and we begin shooting episode 1 in about 1 short month. I have heard the writers pitch out the story lines for the next season and lemme tell you they are freakin’ awesome. There are new characters. New powers. Some of the characters you have come to know and love, in fact, DID die last night. And ALL those who survive will be moving on in new and unexpected directions. We are all ABSOLUTELY COMMITTED to not repeating ourselves next season – but in bringing you a freshly conceived show. Also, the reason we are beginning so early is that we are all committed to long runs of the show next year with very few, and very short hiatuses. We don’t want to be off the air with new episodes for 5 or 6 weeks anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.