DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Heroes -- "Landslide" -- 05.14.2007 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/500506-heroes-landslide-05-14-2007-a.html)

Gunde 05-15-07 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Can anyone think of a nemisis more bad ass than Sylar? Dont know how they can top this season...but I cant wait to find out.

Brother Justin will always be the ultimate baddie in my book!

aynrandgirl 05-15-07 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Apparently your superpower is the inability to detect sarcasm since he is probably pointing out the fact that he should have been able to heal the girl, but the writers didn't seem to remember that.

Healing isn't the same as removing disease. There's nothing wrong with her, it's the virus that's stopping her powers.

spainlinx0 05-15-07 04:04 PM

The virus will kill her eventually. It's what Suresh's sister died from. I would definitely consider that something wrong with her. Also, he healed his mother from cancer in the comic strips so why couldn't he heal her disease?

Jimmy James 05-15-07 04:33 PM

The virus will kill her eventually. It's what Suresh's sister died from. I would definitely consider that something wrong with her. Also, he healed his mother from cancer in the comic strips so why couldn't he heal her disease?

Perhaps the reason the virus hadn't yet killed her was due to intervention by Linderman. He may have been regenerating her body, but the virus was still impeding her powers.

hardercore 05-16-07 12:48 AM

Nice setup episode for what should be a good season finale, but I had two major gripes with this episode.

1) Add to the long list of things ripped off from LOST a paralyzed character miraculously regaining movement in their legs

2) Bennet, Suresh, and little girl just stood there for ten minutes? By this, I mean the cutting away from that scene about 3/4 way through the episode then coming back to the scene for a throwaway shot right at the end that reveals they haven't moved a hair.

Rogue588 05-16-07 01:13 AM

1) Actually, since it's been established that Heroes uses comic books as its template, you have to look no further than Professor Charles Xavier for inspiration. He's been in and out of that chair more times than I can count (i'll leave it up to some x-fanboy to give the official stat). Lost had nothing to do with it.

And i'm sure it's been done before Prof. X too..

2) I get what you're talking about, but this isn't the 24-niverse.

Rogue588 05-16-07 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Ah, yes. Instead of ripping off Lost[/i} they were actually ripping off [i]X-Men.

My bad. You're right. They're exclusively ripping off Lost now.

I've read that next season, Heroes will take place on an island, we'll find out that Hiro's last name is really Hanso and it'll be revealed that Primatech is actually a subdivision of Dharma.

And don't even let me get started on Sylar and his band of "others"...

hardercore 05-16-07 03:04 AM

I wasn't trying to subvert your comments in any way -- you're probably right that it was from X-Men. I was just pointing out that, LOST or X-Men, Heroes is terribly derivative. It's a fine enough show and very entertaining, but that doesn't make it any less derivative. And if it isn't exclusively about being on an island, then the mythological drive of the narrative, the interconnecting ensemble storylines, the kids with special powers, and the ideas characters have about destiny and fate seem very much borrowed from another of my favourite shows.

I guess it just grates on me that despite all these borrowed elements people still go on about Heroes being "better" than LOST. Change the setting and the tone a little and it's almost the same show.

wildcatlh 05-16-07 05:58 AM

I wasn't trying to subvert your comments in any way -- you're probably right that it was from X-Men. I was just pointing out that, LOST or X-Men, Heroes is terribly derivative. It's a fine enough show and very entertaining, but that doesn't make it any less derivative. And if it isn't exclusively about being on an island, then the mythological drive of the narrative, the interconnecting ensemble storylines, the kids with special powers, and the ideas characters have about destiny and fate seem very much borrowed from another of my favourite shows.

I guess it just grates on me that despite all these borrowed elements people still go on about Heroes being "better" than LOST. Change the setting and the tone a little and it's almost the same show.

Erm... all of those issues you mentioned are very very very common in literature, movie and TV, and they certainly didn't start with "Lost".

mphtrilogy 05-16-07 07:21 AM

I enjoy this show, but it ain't Lost.

'nuff said.

TGM 05-16-07 07:39 AM

^^^^^

thank God!

raven56706 05-16-07 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I enjoy this show, but it ain't Lost.

'nuff said.

wow... i hope you mean for the positive.....

madcougar 05-16-07 07:50 AM

Some random speculation:

Spoiler:
Something tells me that the little girl will "find" Suresh's sister alive and well before the season is over, adding to the mystery.

madcougar 05-16-07 07:52 AM

Can we wrap up the Lost/Heroes thing please... If you like Lost better good for you. That doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this episode of Heroes.

kiddk1 05-16-07 07:59 AM

on another note, how exactly does sylar cut open the head, I dont think it is the telekenesis power, seems like he has the power to cut or saw.

Patman 05-16-07 08:21 AM

He's got the finger laser!

spainlinx0 05-16-07 08:22 AM

Maybe he honed his telekinetic power to be able to do that? That's the only thing I can think of as it stands now since we haven't seen where he would be able to do that.

CPA-ESQ. 05-16-07 08:25 AM

Light Saber Finger maybe

kakihara1 05-16-07 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Light Saber Finger maybe

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...spaceballs.jpg

cdollaz 05-16-07 10:12 AM

2) Bennet, Suresh, and little girl just stood there for ten minutes? By this, I mean the cutting away from that scene about 3/4 way through the episode then coming back to the scene for a throwaway shot right at the end that reveals they haven't moved a hair.

10 minutes is nothing. On Lost, Locke, Jack, and whoever else was with them spent months looking down the hatch without moving.

Morf 05-16-07 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
10 minutes is nothing. On Lost, Locke, Jack, and whoever else was with them spent months looking down the hatch without moving.

:lol:

It kills me when people think that episodes are shown in real time. You change scenes, and the other characters just stand there? Come on.

And any show + setting change + tone change has elements of Lost.

ytrez 05-16-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
:lol: When Micha says "This must have cost a lot of money," and Candice says kinda smart ass "Oh, yeah," I began to wonder if she was making Micha believe he was reading Silver Surfer #1 ie that it didn't even exsist. Then I thought if this is the case, why would she not have made it a mint copy?

Also regarding the comics, anyone know why no love for DC?

See, I thought it meant that she stole it. Kind of like "why would I have to pay for it". She can walk out of the store with it and no one would be any wiser.

Morf 05-16-07 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez
See, I thought it meant that she stole it. Kind of like "why would I have to pay for it". She can walk out of the store with it and no one would be any wiser.

Or she just bought it - she is working for Linderman after all, and he seems to have more money than God.

fernsita 05-16-07 10:47 AM

i actually thought maybe since linderman collects art maybe he had a bunch of classic comics and she just grabbed a handful of them.

TGM 05-16-07 11:16 AM

Everyone seems to have a power that propels the storyline... except Nathan.

Any bets that he swoops in on the fight between Sylar and Peter, just as Sylar is about to go BOOM, taking him up into the atmosphere, and sacrifices himself in the process to save his brother, and the city?