Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Non-US TV Shows

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-US TV Shows

Most of us here know that Americans fear the female nipple and the showing of such a thing on non-pay channels will destroy society and turn all men into rapists and perverts...

...but how about TV shows outside the US? Is the female breast or WORSE allowed to be shown on non-premium channels ?
Old 05-11-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, there are episodes of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" from the late 1960s/early 1970s that show nipples.
Old 05-11-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They can show full-frontal on British TV.
Old 05-11-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here I thought this was going to be a discussion about No-US TV shows. Instead it's just a thread about foreign nipples.
Old 05-11-07, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here I thought this was going to be a discussion about No-US TV shows. Instead it's just a thread about foreign nipples.
Actually, I see nudity as being the biggest thing that people seem to be afraid of. I would like a comparison of non-US shows to US shows...I mean, the profanity is growing over here. The Shield is mind-boggling in that regard, but nudity seems to be the one thing that will not be allowed. I've become a big fan of the BBC America channel lately, and I'm wondering if they stupidly tailor that channel for the American prudes. Afterlife, Life After Mars, and Silent Witness have impressed me mightily, but I'm wondering, too, how much they're edited, if they are.

What about Italian TV? Or French? We have mexican channels here, but they seem very "Americanized."
Old 05-11-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh boy.
Old 05-11-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-11-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took a trip to England and Italy last October.

Honestly, the whole tv censorship thing gets overblown IMO. To be fair, I only watched tv in hotels and I couldn't understand what the Italian actors were saying. That being said, nudity is allowed on tv, but it's not in the quantity that Americans have made it out to be.

There was some sort of sex call-in show on Italian tv late at night and the women were naked. But they were also old and/or disgusting looking, so there's really not much of a point in watching them. I don't remember seeing any nudity when I was in the UK, the big thing there was that pretty much any language was allowed on tv based on how late it was.

As for violence, I watched Rambo in Italy and it seemed to be broadcast dubbed, but in tact.

Bottom line, foreign tv is not just a bunch of women running around naked having hardcore sex. And with the Internet the way it is today, do we really need it? I do think the language stuff was cool though.
Old 05-12-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Here in Denmark we sometimes have nudity in the TV Shows. It's just no big deal.
Movies are never cut or edited in anyway either.