Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 6 "Tonight's Theme: Songs by Bon Jovi" -- 05/01/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will have the worst performance tonight?
Phil Stacey
10.17%
Melinda Doolittle
5.08%
Lakisha Jones
30.51%
Blake Lewis
1.69%
Chris Richardson
28.81%
Jordan Sparks
23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Top 6 "Tonight's Theme: Songs by Bon Jovi" -- 05/01/07

Old 05-01-07, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
I guess the judges were right and people either love or hate it. I suppose it's "original" for Idol, but he's been doing variations of that crap the entire time and they always like it, so it's not like he really went out on a limb.

I totally disagree that Blake has been doing variations of "that crap" the entire time. Actually I have been surprised he hasn't used more of the beatboxing throughout the other weeks. This has been the first time in quite a while where he used his beatboxing as a major portion of his performance. I found his performance to be very entertaining and definitely a fresh change from many of the cookie cutter performances we get each week.
Old 05-01-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I love about Blake, and it is becoming more obvious as weeks go on, he is not afraid to stick to who he is. He constantly changes it up, without fear and with confidence. He is a breath of fresh air. I just watched his performance again, and again I was blown away.
Old 05-01-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is going to be a weird week in voting. After last week where 70 million votes were cast due to the telethon, this weeks' votes will carry much less weight since there will be only 30 or 35 million.

I said "screw it" and didn't vote for anybody last week nor this week. As for performances, I liked Phil Stacey and Blakes performances.
Old 05-01-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Chris Richardson's version of Wanted Dead or Alive can't hold a candle to Chris Daughtry's version from last year.
Old 05-01-07, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Chris Richardson's version of Wanted Dead or Alive can't hold a candle to Chris Daughtry's version from last year.
Amen to that. I'm glad to see Daughtry's career skyrocketing.
Old 05-01-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
It's crap like that ( Blake ) that allows crap like Gym Class Heroes that 'TAKE' good music and turn it into shit.
Would anyone here really buy this guys album if it was all that beat box crap on his songs? He might be original, but that doesn't mean he is a good singer.Performer maybe, but far from a good 'singer'

In all truth, this years Idol has sucked eggs anyway.Only reason I know whats going on his because my PC is in the TV room.
Old 05-01-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Watching Chris reminded me of this dialog:

Triumph to JBJ and Richie Sambora -

Let's look at the.. uh...sort of queer messages. Here's the lyric sheet...

'I'm a cowboy....on a steel horse I ride..."
Ok so Ritchie works out the rhymes while you oil his butt?

Triumph interviewing JBJ
Old 05-01-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by magiccmom
I absolutely disagree, it was the most original thing I have ever seen, and I thought it was brilliant. Guess I'm pretty tired of all the same old stuff and I love the way he takes a tired song and gives it his own style. LOVED IT...!
100% agree!
Old 05-02-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
I guess the judges were right and people either love or hate it. I suppose it's "original" for Idol, but he's been doing variations of that crap the entire time and they always like it, so it's not like he really went out on a limb.

Uh no he hasnt, he did a few times early on in the compeition, but it has been missing for the last few weeks.
Old 05-02-07, 12:50 AM

From best to worst:
Blake
Melinda
Phil
Lakisha
Chris
Jordin
Old 05-02-07, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts
AI even gets George Bush to show up! Want to bet that Bush was a loyal Sanjaya supporter?
Old 05-02-07, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by onebyone

Jon Bon Jovi seemed like a really nice guy who knows his stuff. I enjoyed the bits with him more than the songs. I've always liked him (while never loving him), and I would have been crushed if he was an asshole.

I don't think there's anyway he could be an asshole after how nice Real World Philly portrayed him. He owns an Arena Football Team and I remember he went on for a while about why he bought a team and what his agenda was (altruist . . . almost to a Ghandi-like end) and I think one of the tasks he had for the Real Worlders was to build a playground for children.

I don't know. Seems like a real genuine guy.
Old 05-02-07, 04:31 AM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
If Jordin wins over Melinda something is just wrong. I don't really love any of the singers, but Melinda is by far the best singer, and has shown herself to be more versatile than Jordin. Suprisingly, she seemed the most at home and comfortable of the rock performances and was really terriffic, though Blake was very original and interesting. Although she would never do it, a rock album sort of in the Tina Turner style might be really successfull for Melinda. After tonight, though, only really Blake or Melinda deserve to win. Jordin was horrible, and Lakisha just shrieks. With the two week voting though, watch for a real surprise result.
Old 05-02-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well put me in the half of the audience that hated Blake's performance. That was just WAY too much gimmick crap, and it just annoys the hell out of me. Hopefully he goes home, but chances are he'll be beat boxing his way into the finals.
Old 05-02-07, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Well put me in the half of the audience that hated Blake's performance. That was just WAY too much gimmick crap, and it just annoys the hell out of me. Hopefully he goes home, but chances are he'll be beat boxing his way into the finals.
I agree. I guess I fall into the half of the audience Simon said would hate the performance.

My takes:

Phil - Solid opener to the show. 3rd straight good performance. He should be safe.
Jordin - Weak. But she was good last week, so she should be ok overall.
Lakisha - Mediocre performance, but she did salvage it at the end. Still, she needs to go.
Blake - As I said before, I hated it. I'd like to see him and Lakisha go home this week.
Chris - I actually thought this was one of his better efforts. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him go.
Melinda - Surprisingly good. Some Tina Turner-esque moments there. She stays.
Old 05-02-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

my favorites were lakisha, blake and melinda. the others didn't have the vocals to match bon jovi and sounded like they were wailing or screaming. for chris that was the worst Wanted: Dead or Alive I've ever heard.

my guess is chris and jordin are going home
Old 05-02-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phil - suprisingly very good
Jordin - horrible
Blake - good
Lakisha - horrible
Chris - ok
Melinda - bad

Hopefully going home: Lakisha and Melinda
Old 05-02-07, 07:49 AM

I dont think Blake's beatboxing is a gimmick at all. I see it as a talent, and it is young and fresh and different. To me the true talent is the way he presents it as he sings the song. It's a great blend. I'm from a different generation for sure, but I appreciate the talent. I would much rather listen to him than same old same old songs week after week. Pluse I like the way Blake moves on stage. He is an entertainer and can sing. Total package to me and the most marketable.
Old 05-02-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VHS?
It's crap like that ( Blake ) that allows crap like Gym Class Heroes that 'TAKE' good music and turn it into shit.
Would anyone here really buy this guys album if it was all that beat box crap on his songs? He might be original, but that doesn't mean he is a good singer.Performer maybe, but far from a good 'singer'

In all truth, this years Idol has sucked eggs anyway.Only reason I know whats going on his because my PC is in the TV room.
So you'd rather the winner be just a good singer? It takes a whole lot more than just being able to sing to be a star. How can he be a good performer but not a good singer. He may not have the very best voice but who just wants a great voice. You need some star quality.
Old 05-02-07, 08:20 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Screenshot from last night's show:
Spoiler:

I can't believe people are raving about Blake's performance. It was shit. But I will admit it was entertaining...as soon as he started up with the pantomime nonsense I started laughing. AT him.

Worst of the night: Jordin. Even Sanjaya could do better.

Best of the night: Phil & Melinda.
Old 05-02-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather go to a Blake Lewis concert than a "insert generic American Idol wannabe here" concert. Take the majority of performers ever since American Idol 1 and you can pretty much interchange them without noticing any difference. At least Blake is original.
Old 05-02-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont think Blake's beatboxing is a gimmick at all. I see it as a talent
It's about as much of a talent as putting your hand in your armpit and making farting noises. Hopefully he'll get to do that next week and get even more praise for being funky fresh.
Old 05-02-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's about as much of a talent as putting your hand in your armpit and making farting noises. Hopefully he'll get to do that next week and get even more praise for being funky fresh.

Or maybe he'll just sing some tired old song that's been done a million times in the same style as everyone else before him so you and all the other grandmas out there don't get your sensibilities out of wack.
Old 05-02-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Screenshot from last night's show:
Spoiler:

I can't believe people are raving about Blake's performance. It was shit. But I will admit it was entertaining...as soon as he started up with the pantomime nonsense I started laughing. AT him.
Meh, just goes to show Simon knows what he's talking about - I absolutely loved it, but I can't stand Lakisha or Melinda ever.
Old 05-02-07, 08:28 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm not sure why everybody is touting Blake as "original". There are beatboxers hanging out on the corner in every city in the country. There are even beatboxing competitions it's gotten so popular. I believe Blake noted that he was some sort of "beatbox champion" in fact.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.